My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Foxsat HDR Disc Full Remote not working.

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

fatyamyam

I have had this machine for many years and it has been totally reliable. Switched it on and showing disc full and the remote does not work so I can't format the drive because it asks for the pin which I cannot input. Anyone any ideas ? I would like to reset/format via usb if possible but I do not want to take out the hard drive because of the difficulty involved..

| Tue 1 Oct 2024 14:55:47 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Don't quite understand the position or how it might have got into this state. The unit wanting to format the disk because it is full doesn't sound right.

A bit of context might help.
    What was the disk usage % just before it got into this state? Was it anywhere near 100% ?
    When you switch the unit on does it go straight to asking you to enter a PIN in order to format the disk ?
    If not, what happens to get to the point of being asked for a PIN ?

The unit might need to format the disk because it does not recognise the HDD, in which case something has gone wrong with the disk. So there is the possibility it can't be fixed even with a format.

If you aren't willing to take the disk out then you'll need to get a working remote.
    Was the remote working fine before ?

One possible cause for a remote to suddenly stop working is that has accidentally changed mode.
    The white button labelled 'PVR' on the remote should flash red as you press a button on the remote.
    If a different white button flashes, just press the 'PVR' button once then try it.

If no white button flashes, I assume you've done the obvious and tried new batteries.
    If the remote has gradually become worse to use, dismantling and cleaning can help.
    Otherwise replacement remotes were still available for this type last time I checked.

The only thing that may be possible via the USB is to install the custom firmware.
    This would allow you to look at the problem using a computer over the network without needing the TV or remote. This may be beyond the scope of what you want to try, but I'm not aware of any other means to trouble shoot via the USB.

| Wed 2 Oct 2024 13:02:58 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

fatyamyam

Dino.
    Many thanks for your lengthy resposnse and I appreciate how much time it took to write !
    The disc was pretty full before this problem so I am wondering if I somehow managed to get this full by accidently recording too much. It was not responding when I switched it on to record a programme.The tuner works and I can get the menu. I could get to the menu via the buttons on the box. I get it to the format stage but the remote won't enter the number. The PVR button on the remote lights up and I am sure it would work but that the problem lies with the disk being full.
    I am 75 but quite capable of tearing down and rebuilding a PC but it is awkward to take out the box. If I can fix it in situ that would be preferable so if you could let me know how I can attempt this I will give lt a go.
    Thanks again,
    Fatyamyam.

| Wed 2 Oct 2024 14:38:42 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

OK, so you actually navigated to the HDD Control view using the front panel buttons and at this screen you are trying to format because you think the disk is full.

The disk space statistics shown are only for the sections reserved for recordings. The HDR operating system does not use space reserved for recordings except for saving programs and holding the live TV buffer. Even if the recordings sections are 100% full it should only be preventing new recordings and I cannot see how lack of available recording space could possibly stop the remote from working.

For that reason, I don't think formatting is a good idea because you will lose your recordings and still have a non working remote. I would try getting the remote working at this point.

Put in some brand new, reputable manufacturer, trusted source, known good batteries (if you haven't already).

A lit PVR button is a good but you should prove it is producing infra red.
    Point a digital camera (on a phone maybe) at the front end of the remote while pressing buttons on the remote. Your camera view finder should detect the infra red output of the remote as a flash.

If you don't see the remote's output using a digital camera, the infra red LED is probably broken. This would be rare, but you'll need a replacement remote.

If the camera detects the infra red from the remote, another possible problem is that the manufacturer put a film on the flap which could obscure signals. If you've had the unit a long time, you probably removed the film. If it is still there, get rid.

As a last resort, try getting close to the HDR. With the front flap down, point the proven remote directly at the infra red receiver. The receiver is a (nearly invisible) black circle between the 'back' button on the panel and the bright alpha/numeric display.
    If the proven remote doesn't work when close up and directed at the receiver then it suggests the infra red receiver on the HDR may be broken. This is even rarer and there's not a lot you can do other than ensure the receiver is not obscured.

| Wed 2 Oct 2024 17:21:05 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

fatyamyam

Dino.
    Thanks again. I feel guity for taking up so much of your time. I've checked the remote and there seems to be no infra red signal . I've checked the voltage on the batteries and both show just over 1.5 volts so it looks as if the remote is duff. I have a very old universal remote so I'll see what I can do with that.Keep you posted.
    Thanks again.
    Fatyamyam

| Wed 2 Oct 2024 18:35:26 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

fatyamyam

Dino.
    Just wanted to drop a line to say that the problem is now resolved. I'd not heard of how to check the remote's IR but when I did so I could not get the flashing light showing it was working. I've bought a new (compatable) remote and it works fine.
    Thanks again.
    Without your detailed comments I would not have been able to sort this.
    Fatyamyam.

| Fri 4 Oct 2024 17:02:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

You're welcome. Glad it is sorted.

| Fri 4 Oct 2024 17:45:06 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.