My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

FOXSAT- HDR ... recording previous transmission

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rogermunns

When you have been on one channel for a while then you can go back in time to see earlier content. If you do this, is there a way of recording from that previous time? I mean, obviously the content is there and can be looked at, but can it be recorded?

| Sat 18 Jan 2020 16:09:48 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rogermunns - 3 hours ago  » 
    When you have been on one channel for a while then you can go back in time to see earlier content. If you do this, is there a way of recording from that previous time? I mean, obviously the content is there and can be looked at, but can it be recorded?

Not easily. The content is stored in a file you can't normally see (0.ts). It's a fixed size but the pointers to the start of the buffer get reset to the start of the file when you change channel. So it's not obviously there as the content you want will get recorded over depending on the length of time the box has been used to watch the new channel.

The custom firmware available for the Foxsat-HDR allows you to transfer 0.ts (which isn't encrypted) to a PC. You would then need video editing software to find the section you want and create a seperate file using mpeg video editing software like Videoredo. This isn't cheap. So other than an interesting experiment for those of us who like to know how it works it's not really much use.

The newer G2 boxes allow you to create a complete recording of the channel you are watching (provided you were tuned to that channel when the programme started). After pressing the instant recording the tuner you were using will continue to record even if you change to a second channel (provided you have a tuner that can access the new channel) Again if you watched the beginning of the new programme you can create a second complete recording. If I remember correctly you can also back up the playback point of the time shift buffer to the point you want to watch from (provided of course it hasn't been replaced by the new channel content).

| Sat 18 Jan 2020 20:00:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rogermunns

Thanks Graham.

| Mon 20 Jan 2020 20:07:52 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.