My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Foxsat not reading HDD contents

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

maineroadman

Hello, I've got an old faithful Foxsat HDR, upgraded to a 1TB drive, which has been working perfectly since I installed the HDD a year or so ago (WD Green drive).

The other night we had a lightning storm. The next time I switched the box on, it reads the presence of the HDD (51% full), but none of the recordings it contains.

I've taken the HDD out of the machine, and connected it to a Mac running EXTFS. It can see all the programmes, and can play the SD ones. The HD ones are encrypted.

If I plug the 1TB HDD back in as an external HDD the Humax still can't see what it contains.

Is it the thunderstorm, or is it that the Humax doesn't like to have more than 500GB recorded?

I'd like to see those HD programmes again if possible, so don't want to wipe the drive. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

| Mon 1 Jul 2019 16:56:29 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You should be able to see and play back recordings with the drive in a usb cradle connected by usb. The recordings are in the 3rd linux partition.

Try a linux File system check and repair utility when connected to your MAC.

No problem with over 500GB if your drive is large enough. Regulary had more than that on my 1TB drive.

If you can't fix the drive then Copy all the files to your MAC (you need all the files with .ts, .nts and .hmt extensions. Don't bother with the .tac files as these are the chapter thumbnails as the box will re-build during housekeeping. You can then re-format the drive in the Foxsat. After that you can copy them back to the video partition using USB. The encryption won't be an issue as it's the same box that recorded them.

| Mon 1 Jul 2019 17:01:27 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

maineroadman - 1 min ago  » 
    Is it the thunderstorm, or is it that the Humax doesn't like to have more than 500GB recorded?

Plenty of people have drives bigger than 500GB and more than half full. Based on what you have said, I guess there is some minor corruption to the partition table or the file system which it should be possible to fix either with the custom firmware or by using a Linux Live CD.

| Mon 1 Jul 2019 17:05:20 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

maineroadman

Thanks for the replies. Snowed under at work, but once I've had time to mess around, I'll let you know the outcome.

As it happens, I had a spare 1TB drive sitting around that I put straight into the Humax,so the only thing I need to fix the other 1TB disk for is to regain access to the Hi-Def recordings.

| Tue 2 Jul 2019 17:20:30 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.