My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Freesat in TV question

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matt44

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum but hopefully someone can help.

My humax box handles my multi LNB dish set up (German tv for my wife) well enough through something called disceq switching (spelling?).

I am thinking of getting a new wireless freesat internet TV (want lovefilm etc) and doing away with the Humax freesat box. I wonder how it could handle multi LNBs though. The guy at Dixons looked at me blankly but someone else said it wouldn't have this disceq switching facility so what extra equipment would I need to enable this and receive all the channels still?

Thanks in advance

Matt

| Wed 23 Jan 2013 19:45:33 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Diseqc switching capability is rare in TV's. Why not just keep the Humax box ?

| Wed 23 Jan 2013 21:05:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Matt44

Because I want the wireless internet on my tv and wondered if I could just get rid of the box in favour of a small 'diseqc switching' pocket sized gadget or something to plug in somewhere so I can watch multi country channels as before? Plus the box is almost knackered anyway.

| Thu 24 Jan 2013 8:23:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Though the Foxsat HDR is a few years old now, comparing specs it's still very competitive and actually has more control options than the HDR-1000 that was supposed to replace it.

When you say "the box is almost knackered" I'll bet the hard drive is worn but all the other components are good. These things are incredibly well built - I've pulled apart dozens of boxes over the years and the construction and parts are excellent. The hard drives are the weakest part and can be swapped fairly easily for something newer with more capacity.

If you want the Foxsat HDR to have wireless internet, just buy a cheap router that can have DD-WRT flashed to it and set up a wireless bridge. Easier yet, buy homeplugs. Not to be rude but people place entirely too much importance on wireless when devices that use it still tend to need other wires going in/out (HDMIs, mains power, aerials etc). A good ethernet connection will be faster and more stable than wireless in almost every case.

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 1:00:26 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.