My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Freesat Tune

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Robwild

My first post on this forum, so please excuse any protocol violations.

I put my Foxsat-HD into storage when I bought one of the last Panasonic plasmas which had dual tuners, so Freesat HD built in. Just dusted it off for use in a bedroom (annoyingly I can't currently find the remote, so using the limited controls on the box).

On first use it said new channels added so I clicked yes, it had retained and verified my postcode. (M?)EnU displays on the box, the normal channel tuning screen appears, but makes no progress, screen goes blank, box reboots Humax screen (with Ver. No. U7.22 appears), APPL loads, returns to last viewed channel. The same thing happens when I have tried a Freesat Tune. However a manual tune skipping over the defaults works but lists some 400 TV channels, many duplicates, all in the 5000s.

My old stored Freesat settings are missing some channels including BBC1, and the HD channels, however most of these seem to be there on the manual tune.

Signal strength & quality are both 100%. Software version is not the latest but 1.00.23 (25/10/2009). I've sourced a copy of .28, but not sure if attempting to load it will improve things. I've resisted a factory reset so far in case I loose what channels I have; thought I'd post here first!

Apologies for the length,but I'd welcome your advice re:
    - what to do next!
    - how to update software if that would help;
    - recommendations for a replacement Humax or generic remote, if we can fix it.

Many thanks!

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 3:09:50 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Flash the latest firmware or flash the custom firmware add on which will auto update to latest and also add disk check and repair functions and many other useful features.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-5.1829374/

Plenty of Humax remotes on e-bay or get one of the cheaper logitech Harmony programmeable remotes. RM-F01 is the original remote.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/RM-F01-Remote-Control-Foxsat-Freesat/dp/B00KKN9GZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1484215722&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+rm-f01

eg

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-350-Remote-Control/dp/B00KD5LBVY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1484215337&sr=8-3&keywords=harmony+remote

Instructions for updating are included in the firmware or CF download. You need a usb memory stick.

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 11:06:23 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Robwild

Hi Graham, many thanks for your very prompt reply, much appreciated!

I will look at your links in more detail later and report back.

The first one seems to relate to the HDR and not the HD, is the firmware compatible?

Regards Rob

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 12:42:07 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Robwild - 29 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham, many thanks for your very prompt reply, much appreciated!
    I will look at your links in more detail later and report back.
    The first one seems to relate to the HDR and not the HD, is the firmware compatible?
    Regards Rob

Reading your post again I got the wrong box. My comments re the CF only apply to the Foxsat-HDR not the Foxsat-HD which has no hard disk or recording capability. Can you confirm which box you actually have. ?

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 13:14:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Robwild

Hi Graham,

It is the basic Foxsat-HD, not the HDR.

Regards

Rob

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 13:55:13 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Robwild - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    It is the basic Foxsat-HD, not the HDR.
    Regards
    Rob

Ignore the bit about the Custom Firmware. You should be aware that this box has problems with failing capacitors in the power supply. Repair kits to fix are very cheap though. If it ever fails to boot with a constantly rotating display then you need the repair kit.

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 13:59:25 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Robwild

Thanks for the heads up re capacitor issues, I'd read about that in another posting, before my first post.

Is there a posting with an idiot's guide to how one updates the software from 1.00.23 to .28?

Thanks

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 19:50:42 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Robwild - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the heads up re capacitor issues, I'd read about that in another posting, before my first post.
    Is there a posting with an idiot's guide to how one updates the software from 1.00.23 to .28?
    Thanks

I cant find instructions any more and it's been years since I flashed a Foxsat-HD. Try turning off the power with the rear power switch. Connect a FAT32 USB stick with just the one file on it. FOXSAT-HD_upgrade.hdf to the front usb port. Turn on the TV and select the Foxsat-HD input.

Turn on the box power and hold the front power button pressed, if it works you will see the upgrade loading on the TV (you can release the power button).

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 20:09:22 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Instructions nearly correct Graham....

No rear switch on Foxsat HD so insert usb stick with software loaded, turn on power whilst holding front power button until message appears on screen.

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 22:06:56 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Barry - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Instructions nearly correct Graham....
    No rear switch on Foxsat HD so insert usb stick with software loaded, turn on power whilst holding front power button until message appears on screen.

Thanks Barry I couldn't remember if you needed to push an extra button.

| Thu 12 Jan 2017 22:19:22 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.