My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

Freesat versus C4 - who gains?

(2 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wbjimmy

Is it just me or do others suspect there may be more behind the recent decision of C4 to pull their HD and OD channels from Freesat? Isn't it a coincidence that iit was timed to coincide with yet another increase in Sky's subscriptions? And who is the real winner if Freesat (and Humax) lose customers because of the decision? Looking at the commercial setup of Freesat, Freeview and Youview you can see why Sky and C4 might benefit from the demise of Freesat. C4 is a joint venture partner in Freeview and YouView so it's not going to make life difficult for them! Neither can C4 afford to fall out with Sky given its number of viewers. But weakening Freesat encourages folk to stick with Sky and that, some might argue, is what this is really all about. Freeview and YouView are great alternatives to Sky but for many an alternative satellite service (Freesat) is even better because it offers more channels and arguably a more stable platform. I for one don't want Sky to monopolise the satellite market and so I'm not going to let C4 help bring that about by weakening Freesat.

| Thu 22 Mar 2018 9:42:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

My understanding is that Freesat increased their charges to the broadcaster for inclusion on the EPG. C4 don't like that and are sulking. Simple as that. My belief is that wherever you suspect a conspiracy there is usually incompetence instead.

| Thu 22 Mar 2018 11:06:34 #2 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.