My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Freeview 700Mhz clearance

(10 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Thanks to Rodders53 at AVforums for the link.

The DTG have released a tranche of information detailing the retunes required for clearance of the 700MHz band. Most will just need a re-tune a few with grouped aerials may find that a new aerial is required.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/700mhz_clearance/clearance_events_in_q1_2018

| Tue 28 Nov 2017 15:04:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Minstrel SE

special member

Thanks very much for the update. I have been reading all the pages on the clearance from 862 down to 690.

It cant be good for tv viewers. I dont like the talk of interim bands going as my BBC 4 HD is about the only thing that works properly It seems they will be cramming more channels on certain bands

So the TV and the radio Mic users are now fighting for less bandwidth as 4G gets priority treatment.

I just wish it would settle down and hope I dont get any other problems

| Tue 28 Nov 2017 23:28:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

HughA

Looks like I'll have to invest in a new wide band aerial to replace my group A which is pointed at Crystal Palace. I coud live without all of the channels I will lose except for BBC 4 HD. I see a group T is recommended, I've not come across this before. I thought wide band was group W.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 10:05:40 #3 |
  4. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

This makes no sense to me at all.
    Crystal Palace Com7 & Com8 will be moving into the 700 MHz band not clearing it.
    They are currently on ch33 (570MHz) and 35 (586MHz) and moving out of band A to ch55 (746MHz) and ch56 (754Mhz) respectively.

HughA - 4 hours ago  » 
    I see a group T is recommended, I've not come across this before. I thought wide band was group W.

Group W covers the whole band as it used to exist from ch21 up to ch68. The new group T is the replacement wideband after the 800MHz band was sold off for 4G use.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 14:59:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

HughA - 4 hours ago  » 
    Looks like I'll have to invest in a new wide band aerial to replace my group A which is pointed at Crystal Palace. I coud live without all of the channels I will lose except for BBC 4 HD. I see a group T is recommended, I've not come across this before. I thought wide band was group W.

A group W was intended to cover all the pre DSO UHF frequencies from 21 to 68.

Post DSO with frequencies being broadcast ranging from 21 to 60 the group T was defined. Its intended range is wider than both the intended ranges for group A and B and therefore it is "wideband".

After total clearance of 700mhz the broadcast range will be 21 to 48 and aerials aimed at that range will be called group K wideband. It is "wideband" because it is wider than group A's intended range of 21 to 35, and also wider than of group B's intended range of 35 to 53, but while COM7 and COM8 are broadcasting on 55 and 56 not quite wide enough if you want to receive those while they are still available.
    In practise aerials can also receive some channels outside their intended range and so it is possible that some wideband T aerials could pick up com 7 and 8, but no guarantee, especially as com 7 and com 8 are on reduced broadcast strength.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 15:12:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

aldaweb - 13 minutes ago  » 
    This makes no sense to me at all.
    Crystal Palace Com7 & Com8 will be moving into the 700 MHz band not clearing it.

It is not just Crystal Palace' It is all transmitters that broadcast com 7 and com 8.
    Without this it would have been even more difficult to have the clearance two years early because of the existing agreements with Arqiva.

It is 'temporary' until the frequencies are actually needed for mobile use or they interferes with mobile's other frequencies.
    I haven't manged to spot any final date for these. May be it is because there is no final date and they'll stay until the 2030 review if there is not full mobile take up of 700Mhz? Any one know otherwise?

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 15:19:59 #6 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Thanks Luke, I didn't realise it was all com7 & com8 transmitters. All the others I checked don't carry those Mux's.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 15:48:48 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

aldaweb - 4 hours ago  » 
    All the others I checked don't carry those Mux's.

Fifty-five and 56 are what has been published, but you can't tell from those PDFs that it will be all as they are being done at different times and some in stages.
    For example Rowridge has com8 moving to 56 but com7 is staying for now at 31 as Dover needs to move its COM4 off 55 first, and some won't be moving for up to another two years.

| Wed 29 Nov 2017 20:49:24 #8 |
  9. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I am confused now. I thought all MUXes the 50s range needed to cleared?

| Thu 30 Nov 2017 12:17:37 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I am confused now. I thought all channels in the 50s needed to cleared?

That's the ultimate aim. These are only the first steps. COM 7 and COM 8 will be closed.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0031/92659/Maximising-the-benefits-of-700-MHz-clearance-Statement.pdf

| Thu 30 Nov 2017 12:27:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.