My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Other Humax Products

Freeviewplay or YouView?

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outbackannie

Looking to buy a new PVR and was going to buy the new 1TB YouView box but have just had my attention drawn to the Freeviewplay box that can record 4 channels at once and is also wifi

Any pros and cons would be much appreciated as I already have a Freesat box and a YouView box and much prefer the YouView guide as it's much easier and quicker than the Feesat box. The Freesat box I find is quite long winded compared to YouView

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 19:18:55 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Which Freesat box do you find the epg long winded ? If it's a Foxsat-hdr instead of pressing guide press the schedule button and then the red button.

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 19:27:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outbackannie

It is a Foxsat I think and have done what you suggested previously but the guide takes longer to load than YouView, I can't delete whole series without going to file manager and they take an age to delete compared to YouView which is practically instantaneous. Also despite choosing by date the recordings are always in alphabetical order.
    I wondered if anyone who had a YouView box has experience of the Freeview play box because if it behaves like YouView it's a no brainer as it's wifi and YouView isn't

| Mon 2 Jan 2017 20:09:52 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Comments only refer to Humax FVP 4000T and YouView

Freeview play is a completely different UI and may take some getting used to but is what YouView should have been if they bothered to listen to feedback.

Some of the advantages of Freeview play unit:

1. Padding.
    2. Edit timer.
    3. Manual timer.
    4. Manual tuning.
    5. Export (archive) recordings to USB HDD
    6. View videos, pictures and listen to music from external HDD or Network devices.
    7. Favourite lists.
    9. FVP can act as network server and or device.
    9. WiFi.

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 9:49:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outbackannie

Hi Barry. Thanks for the reply. Sounds an interesting prospect but what do you mean by "may take some getting used to?"

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 10:27:14 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Outbackannie - 28 minutes ago  » 
    what do you mean by "may take some getting used to?"

I can't speak for Barry, but personally I'd translate "may take some getting used to?" as 'Slow and Abysmal UI'.

There's no 'info' button, which is a biggie for me and getting to the info, for example looking at the other live channels current info during an advert break is impossible, (unless I'm missing something). Skipping adverts is awkward, but you will get used to it over time and with it being a new'ish product I'd hope some of these niggles will eventually be sorted.

Having said that though, I'd take freeview over freesat and freeview over youview. I don't think there's anything out there that makes more sense than the fvp4000t at the moment.

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 11:16:16 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

damian - 42 minutes ago  » 

Outbackannie - 28 minutes ago  » 
    what do you mean by "may take some getting used to?"

I can't speak for Barry, but personally I'd translate "may take some getting used to?" as 'Slow and Abysmal UI'.

You know that is not what I meant.

It is different to what you are used to, both the UI and remote so a new learning curve for you.

There's no 'info' button, which is a biggie for me and getting to the info, for example looking at the other live channels current info during an advert break is impossible, (unless I'm missing something).

Our FAQ's are your friend

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 12:03:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Outbackannie

Sorry guys what's a UI (user interface??) please. Just been to look at one working in a shop tho the salesman didn't know how it worked so had a vague play. Didn't seem that intuitive and remote seemed very cheap and plasticky!

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 16:17:24 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Outbackannie - 40 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry guys what's a UI (user interface??) please. Just been to look at one working in a shop tho the salesman didn't know how it worked so had a vague play. Didn't seem that intuitive and remote seemed very cheap and plasticky!

UI - Menu's, Guide etc

| Tue 3 Jan 2017 16:57:54 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Our FAQ's are your friend

Cheers Barry,

I remember reading that and promptly forgot about it.

All too often with the fvp4000t I'd change channel or revert to a previously tuned channel by accident which is a real pain when using chase play as I'd lose the buffer. I now tend to just simply switch humax box to use the epg and info depending upon how much patience I have. Daft as it sounds, it's quicker, easier and less button presses with a smart remote and then switch back to the fvp4000t once I'm done

| Wed 4 Jan 2017 7:53:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.