My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FTP/Samba

(35 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

HamsterCaster

Thanks all for your help. But unfortunately there are too many contadictions on what people can achieve with this unit. I can't understand what humax is doing here so have decided to trawl ebay for a good old foxsat hdr and will upgrade the drive and firmware.

| Wed 27 Jan 2016 21:37:22 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

RichardS-UK - 9 hours ago  » 

Advocas - 15 minutes ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 45 minutes ago  » 

Advocas - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Based on some comments in my thread about slow USB I did some testing last night with Samba and FTP see results below, my firmware is 1.00.59, I thought it was better to post it here rather than in the slow USB thread.
    Samba
    I tried both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 with an SD recording, the file copied 9 x faster than USB but was still encrypted when I tried to play it with either VLC or WMP. I also tried playing directly without copying first but it failed to play as I presume it was encrypted.
    FTP
    I tried with Windows 7 with an SD recording, the file copied 4 x faster than Samba but was still encrypted when I tried to play it with either VLC or WMP

FTP non-decryption is to be expected, although Barry might have achieved this somehow.
    With Win10 or Win8 copying using Samba should decrypt but it all depends which root folder you are accessing on the Humax. If you are accessing "My Contents" then it should decrypt. If you are accessing the "Media" or "Recordings" folder then it will not decrpypt. Full details in the "Drive does not show on PC" thread.
    If you use the latest version of VLC it has all the necessary codecs.
    Richard

Richard
    I should have read your post on the last page of the "Drive does not show on PC" thread first as With both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 I just type \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx into explorer and copied from the recordings folder, this folder listing consisted of .ts .nts and .hjm files.
    Is there anything I need to do to get the "My Contents" folder to appear in Windows 10 as I didn't see it?
    I will try again tonight

No problem. Perhaps that "Drive does not show on PC" thread should be on a sticky as half the threads on here currently are related, in one way or another, to my conclusions on that thread.
    To answer your question, for some reason Humax have coded the FVP-4000T such that the "My Contents" folder can only be accessed through network auto-discovery. I cannot find any way to network search or map to "My Contents" either through Samba or FTP. I have asked Humax UK support whether there is a "secret" way of doing this but I'm afraid all this seems to be way above their pay-grade.
    The good news is that Win8 and Win 10 will network auto-discover the "My Contents" folder but not Vista or Win7. You need to stop and restart Samba to make sure it is actually running but the easy way to check is the way you have discovered - go to your network mapped "Recordings" folder and if you can see the .ts .hjm and .nts files listed then Samba is running.
    You check need to check that all your network sharing options are turned on in Win10 and you could also temporarily disable the firewall in Windows and/or your router just to get things moving.
    The Humax should then appear when you open "Computer". It should appear in the Network section as a storage device or something like that below where your local hard disk/s are shown. This is not the same as seeing it in the "Network" section where it appears only as a Media Device. There's some very strange coding by Humax here!
    If it doesn't appear in "Computer" with Network Sharing turned on then reboot the PC and see if it will re-discover as it's not always instant.
    Do you have any other PCs or NAS servers on your network which auto-discover in "Computer"? If so, then the Humax should also appear.
    Richard

I tried again on Windows 10 and 8 but could only see "FVP-4000T - Dial Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" under Network, Other devices, when you click on this it just brings up a properties dialogue.

I only had Samba and FTP turned ON so I also turned ON the "Network Server" then I could see "FVP-4000T Media Server" under "This PC" on 10 and under "Computer" on 8, when I opened this there was a folder called "My Contents" and under that there were two folders "Media" and "Recordings" all my recordings were under the "Recordings" folder I copied a recording to my PC, once copied it had a .mpeg extension, about 30 minutes to copy 5GB, the recording played in VLC on both Windows 10 and 8 but on 10 using WMP it played the sound with no video and on Windows 8 using WMP it wouldn't play.

I then disabled Samba and FTP leaving just the Network Server ON rebooted both the FVP-4000T and the PC's and the above still worked so it seems you don't need Samba or FTP enabled but you do need the Network Server ON.

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 1:59:32 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

Advocas - 6 hours ago  » 
    I tried again on Windows 10 and 8 but could only see "FVP-4000T - Dial Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" under Network, Other devices, when you click on this it just brings up a properties dialogue.
    I only had Samba and FTP turned ON so I also turned ON the "Network Server" then I could see "FVP-4000T Media Server" under "This PC" on 10 and under "Computer" on 8, when I opened this there was a folder called "My Contents" and under that there were two folders "Media" and "Recordings" all my recordings were under the "Recordings" folder I copied a recording to my PC, once copied it had a .mpeg extension, about 30 minutes to copy 5GB, the recording played in VLC on both Windows 10 and 8 but on 10 using WMP it played the sound with no video and on Windows 8 using WMP it wouldn't play.
    I then disabled Samba and FTP leaving just the Network Server ON rebooted both the FVP-4000T and the PC's and the above still worked so it seems you don't need Samba or FTP enabled but you do need the Network Server ON.

I noticed that I didn't have any DTCP-IP files so I tried recording HD to see if they were the HD files, the new recordings were not listed in the recordings folder, I tried refreshing the folder on the PC but they still weren't listed. I got them to display by going to "Network Server" "Server Status" and pressing restart. The HD recordings are the DTCP-IP files.

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 8:52:19 #33 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichardS-UK

special member

Advocas - 8 hours ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 9 hours ago  » 

Advocas - 15 minutes ago  » 

RichardS-UK - 45 minutes ago  » 

Advocas - 42 minutes ago  » 
    Based on some comments in my thread about slow USB I did some testing last night with Samba and FTP see results below, my firmware is 1.00.59, I thought it was better to post it here rather than in the slow USB thread.
    Samba
    I tried both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 with an SD recording, the file copied 9 x faster than USB but was still encrypted when I tried to play it with either VLC or WMP. I also tried playing directly without copying first but it failed to play as I presume it was encrypted.
    FTP
    I tried with Windows 7 with an SD recording, the file copied 4 x faster than Samba but was still encrypted when I tried to play it with either VLC or WMP

FTP non-decryption is to be expected, although Barry might have achieved this somehow.
    With Win10 or Win8 copying using Samba should decrypt but it all depends which root folder you are accessing on the Humax. If you are accessing "My Contents" then it should decrypt. If you are accessing the "Media" or "Recordings" folder then it will not decrpypt. Full details in the "Drive does not show on PC" thread.
    If you use the latest version of VLC it has all the necessary codecs.
    Richard

Richard
    I should have read your post on the last page of the "Drive does not show on PC" thread first as With both Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 I just type \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx into explorer and copied from the recordings folder, this folder listing consisted of .ts .nts and .hjm files.
    Is there anything I need to do to get the "My Contents" folder to appear in Windows 10 as I didn't see it?
    I will try again tonight

No problem. Perhaps that "Drive does not show on PC" thread should be on a sticky as half the threads on here currently are related, in one way or another, to my conclusions on that thread.
    To answer your question, for some reason Humax have coded the FVP-4000T such that the "My Contents" folder can only be accessed through network auto-discovery. I cannot find any way to network search or map to "My Contents" either through Samba or FTP. I have asked Humax UK support whether there is a "secret" way of doing this but I'm afraid all this seems to be way above their pay-grade.
    The good news is that Win8 and Win 10 will network auto-discover the "My Contents" folder but not Vista or Win7. You need to stop and restart Samba to make sure it is actually running but the easy way to check is the way you have discovered - go to your network mapped "Recordings" folder and if you can see the .ts .hjm and .nts files listed then Samba is running.
    You check need to check that all your network sharing options are turned on in Win10 and you could also temporarily disable the firewall in Windows and/or your router just to get things moving.
    The Humax should then appear when you open "Computer". It should appear in the Network section as a storage device or something like that below where your local hard disk/s are shown. This is not the same as seeing it in the "Network" section where it appears only as a Media Device. There's some very strange coding by Humax here!
    If it doesn't appear in "Computer" with Network Sharing turned on then reboot the PC and see if it will re-discover as it's not always instant.
    Do you have any other PCs or NAS servers on your network which auto-discover in "Computer"? If so, then the Humax should also appear.
    Richard

Yes, you definitely need Network Server to be turned on. I didn't mention that but just assumed that we all have that turned on if we're trying to connect to a network. I can't see how the Humax would deliver any files if Samba was turned off but with the way Humax have configured the networking functionality of the FVP-4000T nothing surprises me!

Good to hear you have got it all sorted!

Richard

| Thu 28 Jan 2016 10:14:14 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

RichardS-UK - 1 day ago  » 
    Yes, you definitely need Network Server to be turned on. I didn't mention that but just assumed that we all have that turned on if we're trying to connect to a network. I can't see how the Humax would deliver any files if Samba was turned off but with the way Humax have configured the networking functionality of the FVP-4000T nothing surprises me!
    Good to hear you have got it all sorted!
    Richard

Reading the manual and the help text under each setting, I think "Network Server", "Samba" and "FTP" are 3 different protocols that work independently from each other, I can run any one of them with the others turned off and I get the result I would expect from that one. Due to owning a 9200T for about 11 years and battling with "slow remote" I always turn off any services that I don't need, I'm sure the processor in the 4000T is only just up to the job too.

| Sat 30 Jan 2016 0:15:17 #35 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.