My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Future of BBC Four

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

BBC Four could be closed as the corporation unveils plans to focus its money on developing high quality new dramas like Poldark, Wolf Hall and Sherlock.

The closure of smaller television channels is being considered to help the BBC survive after being lumbered with the costs of running the World Service and providing over-75 licences free up an additional £50 million a year for drama designed to compete with US networks and online streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.

Lord Hall, the director general of the BBC, will on Monday say that the corporation must build on its reputation for "creative excellence" and ensure that drama forms the "backbone" of its output."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11846597/BBC-Four-could-be-closed-to-fund-50m-boost-for-drama.html

More Poldark than Wolf Hall, I predict.

| Sun 6 Sep 2015 10:38:44 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

To be fair there is a lot of room in the BBC2 schedule for the small amount of original BBC4 content there is currently if you take out the number of late night filler repeats.

| Sun 6 Sep 2015 10:51:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Yes but the reason there are so many repeats now is because programmes which previously would have been scheduled for BBC Four have been switched to BBC Two as part of the process of making BBC Four seem redundant.

| Sun 6 Sep 2015 11:02:04 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

JamesB - 6 hours ago  » 

BBC Four could be closed as the corporation unveils plans to focus its money on developing high quality new dramas like Poldark, Wolf Hall and Sherlock.
    The closure of smaller television channels is being considered to help the BBC survive after being lumbered with the costs of running the World Service and providing over-75 licences free up an additional £50 million a year for drama designed to compete with US networks and online streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.
    Lord Hall, the director general of the BBC, will on Monday say that the corporation must build on its reputation for "creative excellence" and ensure that drama forms the "backbone" of its output."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11846597/BBC-Four-could-be-closed-to-fund-50m-boost-for-drama.html

I'm with you on Wolf Hall - truly epic quality drama, but Sherlock and Poldark - really?

| Sun 6 Sep 2015 17:00:12 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

gomezz - 6 hours ago  » 
    To be fair there is a lot of room in the BBC2 schedule for the small amount of original BBC4 content there is currently if you take out the number of late night filler repeats.

If I had my way I would get rid of BBC 1 and boost BBC 4's budget massively. BBC 4 tends to be our most watched channel, closely followed by BBC 2.

| Sun 6 Sep 2015 17:02:02 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

BBC Two seems to have been spared, for the time being.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/aug/18/bbc-george-osborne-bbc2-bbc4-cuts

| Sun 6 Sep 2015 17:13:32 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

The BBC has admitted it is “inevitable” that services will have to be closed or cut with rolling news, BBC4 and childrens’ television channels such as CBBC identified as possible candidates for the axe.

In his first response to the government’s green paper and a funding deal that will see BBC annual funding cut by 20% over the next five years director general Tony Hall outlined ambitious new proposals set to cost £150m.

However, the “tough” spending deal – set to see more than £650m in total cut – will mean hard decisions have to be made in order to position the BBC for an age in which many more licence fee payers will be going online to use its services.

Hall, speaking at the Science Museum on Monday, said: “No one should doubt that the budget settlement announced by the chancellor in his July budget will mean some very difficult choices ahead. Having already saved 40% of the BBC’s revenues in this charter period, we must save close to another 20% over the next five years.

“Our share of TV revenues in the UK will fall, most likely, from about 20% now to some 12 % by the end of the charter.”

He added: “The BBC faces a very tough financial challenge. So we will have to manage our resources ever more carefully and prioritise what we believe the BBC should offer.
    “We will inevitably have to either close or reduce some services.”

He also promised an “open BBC” that will collaborate with commercial rivals and expand internationally with an ethos of “excellence without arrogance”.

Hall said that the corporation needed to be reshaped to deliver services to increasingly digitally-savvy audiences.

“For the next 10 years we will need to ride two horses,” he said. “Serving those who have adopted the internet and mobile media, while at the same time making sure that those who want to carry on watching and listening to traditional channels continue to be properly served too. This is where the idea of an open BBC for the internet age comes from.”

Plans outlined included an expansion of the BBC World Service to non-democratic countries, including potentially a satellite TV service for Russian speakers and a daily radio programme for North Korea, opening up the BBC iPlayer to include rivals shows, and offering staff and content to local newspapers.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/sep/07/tony-hall-bbc-cuts-bbc4

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 11:34:07 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ozzy

Poldark is brilliant, can't wait for the next series. Wolf Hall, I didn't watch so can't comment.

I think that the BBC should have plus 1 channels. So BBC3 could be BBC1 plus 1 and BBC4 could be BBC2 plus 2. That would make it easier for Humax boxes with twin tuners to record more of the shows we actually want.
    All the good programmes from BBC3 and 4 can be shared amongst BBC1 and 2 so we don't miss out on good programmes.

On the subject of funding, they are also losing money from people who claim to only watch TV on catchup so they say they don't need a licence.
    Also, apparently, there are still people with black and white TV licences which only cost £49. (I read on the internet that 28,000 B&W TV licences are currently issued) How does that happen. Since the upgrade to digital TV, how have they got a digital receiver that only receives in black and white? I thought that it was the receiver not the screen which denoted whether you were in colour or not. If you receive in colour and record in colour but only watch it on an old B&W TV, how does that work for licensing.
    I don't see why BBC local radio shouldn't advertise and pay for itself.

And the BBC have messed up Top Gear by firing Jeremy Clarkson, one of the BBC's best overseas's earners, gone to Amazon Prime. Well I won't be paying for Amazon Prime to watch it. The whole point of Freeview and Freesat is that it is free. But you need a TV licence to watch or record live TV. Rant over..Thanks

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 16:26:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Ozzy - 2 hours ago  » 
    ... apparently, there are still people with black and white TV licences which only cost £49. (I read on the internet that 28,000 B&W TV licences are currently issued) How does that happen. Since the upgrade to digital TV, how have they got a digital receiver that only receives in black and white? I thought that it was the receiver not the screen which denoted whether you were in colour or not.

It's the display, obviously, since that's what your eyeballs light on in order to see a picture in either b/w or colour. A non-recording digital STB is all you need to keep watching in b/w post-DSO. If I remember correctly, quite a few were dispensed to elderly viewers in the run-up to DSO.

| Mon 7 Sep 2015 19:15:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 2 days ago  » 

Apparently UKTV expects the forthcoming productions to be just right for its Drama channel.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/09/08/uktv-welcomes-bbcs-drama-commitment/

| Tue 8 Sep 2015 11:07:33 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.