My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-4000T EPG program synopsis (aka 'i' button)

(11 posts)
  1. Aresby

Aresby

Hello fellow Humax owners

I'm seriously considering replacing my brilliant but ageing 9200T as it hangs too often now after several years.

I looked at the FVP-4000T and was almost on the point of clicking BUY when I read that the EPG does not support the "i" button which shows the program synopsis, description of episode etc that you get on the 9200T (and every TV's EPG I've ever used!).

Surely this can't be true? The chap who reported this apparently phoned Humax who said this as true but I'd like independent conformation.

Anyone know for certain as this is a show stopper for me.

| Sat 7 Nov 2015 15:37:53 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Whilst there is no i button you can use the OK button for synopsis whilst browsing the EPG.

| Sat 7 Nov 2015 15:41:29 #2 |
  3. Aresby

Aresby

Thanks for the welcome - and the informative reply!

What about when a program is being shown (either live, delayed or recorded) can the program synopsis be accessed then too?

Your answer may well determine whether I finally click that BUY button (no pressure)!

| Sat 7 Nov 2015 15:52:12 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Live press OK for mini guide then OK again for synopsis.

Paused, only via guide and OK

Delayed in playback, via OK

Recorded, you can view the synopsis in the timers list, when playing back the only way to read synopsis is via the recorded programmes list.

| Sat 7 Nov 2015 17:51:23 #4 |
  5. Aresby

Aresby

That sounds pretty straightforward (if a little different to the 9200T). Thank you very much for your very detailed answer (again).

Well, I've reserved one from my local store and will pick up a 1TB Mocha version on Sunday (we hope, I don't always have the utmost faith in these large warehouse type box-shifters but we will see).

Since I posted here I've read a few online articles and the expectation is that there will be a few OTA updates to get the menu/EPG a bit quicker and no doubt some other improvements too - but it's early days yet, it seems, for Freeview Play. It seems that I've finally got to the bleeding edge of technology, amazing.

Now to research a TV to do this new digibox justice! MY TV is only HD-ready not even full HD (it made no difference when the 9200T did not support HD channels umpteen years ago - October 2010 to be precise).

| Sat 7 Nov 2015 20:09:33 #5 |
  6. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Aresby - 2 hours ago  » 
    Now to research a TV to do this new digibox justice! MY TV is only HD-ready not even full HD (it made no difference when the 9200T did not support HD channels umpteen years ago - October 2010 to be precise).

If your current TV is capable of 1080i you should get a good sharp picture on the HD channels: the HD channels are mostly in 1080i anyway, with selected programmes in 1080p. I would see how it looks first. Unless you are looking for an excuse, of course

| Sat 7 Nov 2015 22:24:41 #6 |
  7. Aresby

Aresby

Ha ha! No I'm not looking for an excuse although we do have some minor issues with our current LG TV giving some green speckles on a couple of channels (you have to look closely).

But I'm pretty sure our TV does 1080i or 720p (is that the definition of HD ready perhaps?) so we'll get the digibox today and just see how it looks first.

That said, I've just looked at a few websites and unless you want all bells and whistles (incl 4K) you can get a 48" full HD TV for well under £500.

But we'll check out the results of the digibox first.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 9:54:50 #7 |
  8. Aresby

Aresby

Just a follow up posting here.

Got my Mocha FVP-4000T today and it's transformed the quality of the TV picture when compared to the 9200T over SCART. Even SD is better!

Just basking in the glow of my first HD program...

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 18:04:05 #8 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Good news, enjoy

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 18:57:07 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Aresby - 9 hours ago  » 
    Ha ha! No I'm not looking for an excuse although we do have some minor issues with our current LG TV giving some green speckles on a couple of channels (you have to look closely).
    But I'm pretty sure our TV does 1080i or 720p (is that the definition of HD ready perhaps?) so we'll get the digibox today and just see how it looks first.
    That said, I've just looked at a few websites and unless you want all bells and whistles (incl 4K) you can get a 48" full HD TV for well under £500.
    But we'll check out the results of the digibox first.

HD is defined as 720 lines or more. All HD broadcast sources use 1080 lines (iplayer HD is 720 lines).

All HD Ready displays have to be capable of displaying 1080i and 720p content. That does not mean they are capable of a 1:1 pixel display. Your TV (unless it's an ancient plasma) will have 768 lines. This means when displaying 1080i content it has to scale down to 768 lines, and when given 720p to scale up to 768 lines.

Scaling down is much easier than scaling up because you have all real data to reduce the resolution. When scaling up you have to guess what's missing.

A good HD Ready display will give a much better picture than a poor Full HD model. especially up to around 40".

Do not be tempted to swap your TV for a cheap full HD supermarket set (usually made by Vestel).

If you feel you need a larger Full HD TV, get one from a major maker like Panasonic or Sony, and avoid the low end models. Even companies like Panasonic rebadge Vestels these days.

| Sun 8 Nov 2015 19:54:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.