My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000t - Factory reset

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobrugby

Just joined, so here's my silly question...... had my 4000t since last September and since then have been irritated by the "off air" signal apparently being too weak. This has come to the point where we only watch in SD as the breakup in HD is impossible and, quite often, find ourselves reverting to a direct aerial connection to the TV which is fine. I recognise we are in the weaker coverage of Sutton Coldfield but with signal Strength and Quality both consistently at 100% I'm at a bit of a loss. Latest software 1.01.57 updated over air this week; thought might improve the situation, apparently not.

My background is in Electronics/Radio/Radar so I'm not naive to the vagaries of propergation etc.

So, apart from your experienced comments on the above the silly question is: is there any way of preserving the recordings we have made if I carry out a "Factory Reset" on the beast!
    Many thanks
    Bob

| Sat 14 Jan 2017 16:10:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A factory reset will not delete your recordings only the recording schedule though at least on a Youview box you have two options retain or lose recordings (make a note of or photograph your recording schedule).

Have you tried a simple passive UHF splitter to avoid having the need to use the box rf loopthrough.

With 100% signal you may be overloading the tuner on the main HD mux, using a splitter will reduce the signal by about 4dB.

What is reception like on the COM 7 mux ?

Welcome to our forum.

| Sat 14 Jan 2017 16:28:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bobrugby - 1 hour ago  » 
    lves reverting to a direct aerial connection to the TV which is fine. I recognise we are in the weaker coverage of Sutton Coldfield but with signal Strength and Quality both consistently at 100% I'm at a bit of a loss. Latest software 1.01.57 updated over air this week; thought might improve the situation, apparently not.

I agree with Graham, 100% signal strength is far too high. I think about 80 to 85% is optimal and anything between that and 50% should be very satisfactory. If you are in a weak signal region do you have an amplifier in the aerial circuit? If so is it possible to reduce the gain or to temporarily bypass it? If not consider adding a variable attenuator to the aerial cabling.

| Sat 14 Jan 2017 17:28:14 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobrugby

Early Report - it's looking better Guys; I've got quite a long feeder run with head amp and another distribution box with additional gain which I'm rationalising.
    This configuration goes back a couple of years when Sutton Coldfield was both analogue with a reduced digital power output. Add in being on the fringe of its published coverage so needed some extra gain up top. Anyway HD is now very watchable with about 70% strength but the SD at the same level is not quite as solid.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you both posted,
    Bob

| Sat 14 Jan 2017 23:53:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Martin Liddle - 20 hours ago  » 

bobrugby - 1 hour ago  » 
    lves reverting to a direct aerial connection to the TV which is fine. I recognise we are in the weaker coverage of Sutton Coldfield but with signal Strength and Quality both consistently at 100% I'm at a bit of a loss. Latest software 1.01.57 updated over air this week; thought might improve the situation, apparently not.

I agree with Graham, 100% signal strength is far too high. I think about 80 to 85% is optimal and anything between that and 50% should be very satisfactory. If you are in a weak signal region do you have an amplifier in the aerial circuit? If so is it possible to reduce the gain or to temporarily bypass it? If not consider adding a variable attenuator to the aerial cabling.

I'm no aerial expert but I had signal issues and had the aerial replaced - the guy fitted an attenuator as the signal was so strong. I still have 100% strength and quality and have had no reception issues since.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 13:59:39 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bmax

You may have 101%, which may be OK but bobrugby might have 150% which is not - both will read 100% on the box, as the scale only goes to 100%.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 15:53:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

bmax - 4 hours ago  » 
    You may have 101%, which may be OK but bobrugby might have 150% which is not - both will read 100% on the box, as the scale only goes to 100%.

I was replying to the post that said 100% was 'far too high'.

| Sun 15 Jan 2017 20:10:22 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.