My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T failing - how to diagnose?

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewclark55

My 6-year old FVP 4000T has been getting flaky for months and will only operate for a while if shut down and left with the power unplugged for several hours. It may then go for long enough to watch a recording or it may hang randomly. On one occasion it stopped suddenly and deleted not only what we were watching but all the other recordings of that same programme. Grrr!

I'm guessing it might be a temperature related fault that is rectified when it has cooled down - possibly the HDD as that does lot of work? 2 queries:-

1. How could I diagnose the fault?
    2. If it is the HDD can I just replace it with a similar one and where would it then get its OS from? And could I then copy across all the encrypted recordings using a Linux machine?

(OK, that's really 3 questions but grateful for any advice!)

Regards
    Andrew

| Thu 30 Sep 2021 15:35:16 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andrewclark55 - 8 hours ago  » 
    1. How could I diagnose the fault?

The first step would be to open the Humax and disconnect the hard drive. If the box behaves as a set top box then the problem is most likely with the hard drive.

2. If it is the HDD can I just replace it with a similar one and where would it then get its OS from?

Yes you can replace the hard drive with a similar drive; best to get something that is optimised for PVR usage. The operating system isn't installed on the hard drive; it is in flash RAM on the mother board (which is why you ca boot the Humax without a hard drive).

And could I then copy across all the encrypted recordings using a Linux machine?

Yes I think so (although I haven't actually done it). First you would install the new drive and let the Humax format it. Then take it out and use the Linux machine to copy the files across from the old drive to the new drive.

| Fri 1 Oct 2021 0:03:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

andrewclark55

Martin those are really helpful suggestions.

I'll try what you suggest and report back.

| Fri 1 Oct 2021 15:59:31 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.