My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T Humax Response?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

merlinrocket

I recently bought an FVP 4000T on a bit of an impulse (the price was right), attracted very much by the triple tuners and the possibility of reducing those recording conflicts that happen frequently with twin tuner PVRs.

Like many, I am very disappointed with the UI - I couldn't believe how bad it was for a Humax product, as this was about the sixth PVR of theirs that I have owned. Suffice it it to say that the box is currently unpowered and we have gone back to our DTR-T2100 Youview box for the moment, pending the eventual release of improved firmware (fingers crossed).

I was just wondering if Humax had any dialogue with the members or administrators of this (or any other forum) with a view to user driven improvements to the box? Similar I suppose to Youview, where there is dialogue and fairly frequent updates to improve the box and service.

Presumably Humax must be aware that this offering hasn't been well received, at least by people with experience of previous Humax PVRs?

| Sun 20 Dec 2015 0:15:23 #1 |
  2. barryiow

barryiow

Yes I quite agree with you, I will keep my fingers crossed.

| Sun 20 Dec 2015 9:24:49 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

merlinrocket - 10 hours ago  » 
    I was just wondering if Humax had any dialogue with the members or administrators of this (or any other forum) with a view to user driven improvements to the box?

We (I) used to have a contact in Humax Towers, but unfortunately he has now left the company, so currently no dialogue

(Fortunately for freesat/freetime users we have dialogue with a contact in freesat towers which has proved to be invaluable in the last few weeks, long may it continue)

Only suggestion is to email any comments to the ususal support address: uksupport@humax-digital.co.uk

| Sun 20 Dec 2015 11:09:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

YouView gets frequent updates because it was dragged to market in an unfinished state, bugridden and lacking in functionality. Unsurprisingly, continued development since launch has been determined mostly by the ISP partners who distribute most of the boxes. Numerous parties have an interest in influencing YouView's direction of travel, including all seven squabbling shareholders, BT and TalkTalk customers, and - a long way behind - the retail buyers, of whom there are comparatively few. The YouView Forum gives the retail users a - limited - voice, but not on development issues - that's forbidden in the T&Cs.

The FVP4000T is a different kettle of fish, being under Humax control. Fortunately, I would suggest, but time will tell, as with all new products.

| Sun 20 Dec 2015 11:40:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

merlinrocket

Well, whatever the shortcomings of YouView (and I don't like those menus coming up "from the floor", or the drab grey and white colours), at the moment it is immeasurably more useable than the FVP4000T.
    My first PVR was a Tivo MkI and despite its age I think it still has an unmatched UI, except perhaps for the Toppy with My Stuff. Things haven't progressed that much.

| Mon 21 Dec 2015 22:47:08 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Depends what you're looking for I suppose. I much prefer what I can get nowadays compared to what I could get five or ten years ago. HD, iPlayer, wifi, box sets and movies on tap - very nice!

FVP4000T hasn't been out very long. And there wasn't much time between the announcement of the FVP specs, and the launch of the Humax box. So it's presumably an adapted design, and may evolve further, as YouView has done, now the launch is over.

| Tue 22 Dec 2015 0:46:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Brava210

My unit is causing grief, it disconnects from the network a lot
    trying to play back a recording in progress results in a black screen with no picture quite often
    If I attempt to search in vein for software update it just locks up
    But I do like the interface and the 3 tuners

Gary

| Tue 22 Dec 2015 18:39:56 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.