My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Fvp-4000t no power led & not working

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tuctuc

My fvp-4000t tonight wasn't responding to switching on either via the remote or button on top, the power led was dim red. so I disconnected the power for 10+seconds, now there is no led at all & no response, has it bricked itself?
    (checked power & its got 12.2v)

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 18:50:20 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Tuctuc - 11 mins ago  » 
    My fvp-4000t tonight wasn't responding to switching on either via the remote or button on top, the power led was dim red. so I disconnected the power for 10+seconds, now there is no led at all & no response, has it bricked itself?

Try disconnecting the hard Drive power and data connections. Does the box boot as a non recording box ?

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 19:02:30 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tuctuc

I guess I'll have to open the case to do that? Not a problem doing it, will let you know when done...
    Do you suspect the hdd?

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 19:55:10 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Tuctuc - 31 mins ago  » 
    I guess I'll have to open the case to do that? Not a problem doing it, will let you know when done...
    Do you suspect the hdd?

It's a definite possibility. Opening the case is not that obvious there are some hidden clips to disengage.

See faq's.

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 20:27:44 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tuctuc

Thanks for the tip on faq's, I'd have struggled getting the case off.

I've removed the hdd and still no sign of life, there is faint high pitched whine which changes note when I press the power button.

Interestingly the WiFi board was lose & not connected.

Any suggestions on next steps?

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 21:20:10 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Tuctuc - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks for the tip on faq's, I'd have struggled getting the case off.
    I've removed the hdd and still no sign of life, there is faint high pitched whine which changes note when I press the power button.
    Interestingly the WiFi board was lose & not connected.
    Any suggestions on next steps?

Sorry I had this issue and replacing the hard drive resolved the issue. There is one company that offers to fix this for a fixed price.

https://www.digirepairs.co.uk/product/repair-booking-humax-freesat-plus-freeview-plus-youview-plus-box-repairs-2/

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 22:39:02 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tuctuc

Thanks for the help, I'll pop another hdd in to see what happens & test the existing hdd with a pc

| Thu 4 Mar 2021 23:17:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Advocas

Tuctuc - 1 year ago  » 

My 7 year old FVP-4000T had this issue last night, over the last couple of weeks it has locked up and had to have the power disconnected about 3 times but last night I turned it on and it rebooted then nothing on the screen, the power led was dim. I disconnected the power and plugged it back in, no power led and no response to any buttons. I checked the PSU, 12.25 volts with no load so that was ok. I took it apart there was nothing obvious, no difference with the hard disk and WIFI adapter removed, it was making a faint whistling noise which changed pitch when I pressed the power button but that could just be the inductors on the PCB. It's now working again, I fixed it by cooking the bare PCB in the oven. I removed the heat sink, the rubber pads and the grounding pad on the back of the PCB, covered a baking tray with aluminium foil then made four balls of foil and placed the PCB on the baking tray with the four balls supporting it on the corners where there were no components, preheated the oven to 200°c and placed the tray with the PCB in the oven for 10 minutes, removed it from the oven and let it cool down, refitted the heatsink with new compound then tested it, the power led came on so I assembled the unit and it's working again, all my recordings are there and all the settings were unchanged. I did the same procedure to fix my sons gaming graphics card, the graphics card failed again 2 years later so I re-cooked it and it's still working 6 months later. See link below to a You tube video that shows how to do this. I'm posting this to hopefully help others with a similar issues, I decided that I had nothing to loose the box was dead. You tube video

| Wed 23 Nov 2022 13:43:12 #8 |
  9. Dazza1969

Dazza1969

Advocas - 2 weeks ago  » 

Tuctuc - 1 year ago  » 

My 7 year old FVP-4000T had this issue last night, over the last couple of weeks it has locked up and had to have the power disconnected about 3 times but last night I turned it on and it rebooted then nothing on the screen, the power led was dim. I disconnected the power and plugged it back in, no power led and no response to any buttons. I checked the PSU, 12.25 volts with no load so that was ok. I took it apart there was nothing obvious, no difference with the hard disk and WIFI adapter removed, it was making a faint whistling noise which changed pitch when I pressed the power button but that could just be the inductors on the PCB. It's now working again, I fixed it by cooking the bare PCB in the oven. I removed the heat sink, the rubber pads and the grounding pad on the back of the PCB, covered a baking tray with aluminium foil then made four balls of foil and placed the PCB on the baking tray with the four balls supporting it on the corners where there were no components, preheated the oven to 200°c and placed the tray with the PCB in the oven for 10 minutes, removed it from the oven and let it cool down, refitted the heatsink with new compound then tested it, the power led came on so I assembled the unit and it's working again, all my recordings are there and all the settings were unchanged. I did the same procedure to fix my sons gaming graphics card, the graphics card failed again 2 years later so I re-cooked it and it's still working 6 months later. See link below to a You tube video that shows how to do this. I'm posting this to hopefully help others with a similar issues, I decided that I had nothing to loose the box was dead. You tube video

Do you have to do anything with the plastic inputs hdmi, power, Ethernet, component inputs before putting it in the oven? Also there are 2 thin wires on the board. Do these need to be removed? Thanks

| Sun 11 Dec 2022 21:04:38 #9 |
  10. Dazza1969

Dazza1969

There are 2 thin wires on top of the board. Do these have to be removed? Also the plastic inputs, power, hdmi, Ethernet, component inputs and USB? Do these need covering in some way before going in to the oven? Thanks.

| Sun 11 Dec 2022 21:08:26 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.