My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 4000T to H3 connection issues.

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanRoberts29

Hi,

Where I have my H3 connected to a TV is too far to connect directly to my router so I use a wifi extender. So the FVP and the H3 are connected to the network but I am unable to connect the H3 to the FVP.

Anyone else had this problem and know of a way to fix it.

| Mon 20 Feb 2017 16:51:28 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Do you have the network server switched on in the fvp settings?

If not, switch it on and retry.
    If yes, move the H3 and set up closer to the fvp, get it set up and then relocate back.

Also, 500mbps homeplug sets can be purchased for less than £20 and are nearly always better than wifi so long as your environment is suitable.
    welcome to the forum

| Mon 20 Feb 2017 17:10:42 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanRoberts29

Yes the server is switched on and I have also tried the H3 in the same room as the FVP with the extender in there also with no luck.

| Mon 20 Feb 2017 17:41:23 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Assuming the fvp has no problem streaming catch-up, will the H3 connect to the fvp in the same room without the extender, i.e have the extender switched off

| Mon 20 Feb 2017 17:53:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AlanRoberts29

Still, no luck having the H3 in the same room as the FVP and connected directly to the router.

I am assuming even if both the FVP and H3 are connected to a wifi extender that may not have been even linked to a router they should talk to each other?

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 11:41:28 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

AlanRoberts29 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I am assuming even if both the FVP and H3 are connected to a wifi extender that may not have been even linked to a router they should talk to each other?

That really does depend on the extender. Assuming you know the extender ip address (if it has one) and you give both the fvp and H3 fixed ip addresses and then you use a laptop/tablet/pc also with a fixed ip in the same range then I'd imagine it'd be possible to ping both the H3 and fvp via the extender.

It really does depend on the extender and if this is the first time the fvp and H3 has been set up then the extender will only complicate matters when diagnosing problems.

If it were me, I'd unplug the extender, unplug the fvp and H3, reboot the router, wait 5 mins, plug the fvp and H3 back in, wait another few minutes and check they've both connected to the router and I'd ping both fvp and H3 via a laptop/tablet/pc if available and check H3 <-> fvp connectivity.
    Assuming this works, unplug the H3, plug the extender back in where ever it needs to be, finally plug the H3 back in where it needs to be and check network connection on the H3. I should still be able to ping both fvp and H3 assuming I have a laptop/tablet/pc to do it with. The H3 should be able to connect to the internet for updates, catch-up, on demand etc. and assuming it can and the fvp also can then there's no reason why the H3 shouldn't be able to connect to the fvp.
    If it can't and all the above works then there's a problem with the extender and it'll possibly be blocking ports. I had/have an unmanged 1Gbit hub somewhere and that blocked ports that it really shouldn't have.

It's quite possible that if you power everything off, then power up the router, wait 5 mins, power up the extender, wait another couple, power up the fvp and H3 and wait another couple of minutes that it all might start working. If not then you'll have to diagnose. When diagnosing only reboot the router once everything else is powered off and don't do this more than 2-3 times, i.e. do it once and then check/test everything and then move on to the next reboot check/test as necessary. Let us know how you get on.

| Tue 21 Feb 2017 14:38:29 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.