My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 5000 recording playback over DLNA

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

giskard

I recently purchased a FVP-5000T to replace an ageing Topfield PVR and also to allow recorded programmes to be played back around the house. The LG TV to which the 5000T is connected can browse and playback the recordings on the 5000T's hard drive perfectly but my 2011-era Sony Bravia smart TV (which can play recordings from my NAS drive perfectly) will browse the recordings folder on the 5000T but when playing a recording, the screen is just blank and there's no sound, but otherwise the playback controls on the Sony seem to indicate that the recording is being played back, but it's just not rendering any picture or sound.

I would've thought a DLNA compliant server (like the 5000T) would work with no issue?

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

| Sun 7 Jan 2018 18:27:17 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

DLNA compliance is a bit hit and miss particulary with older kit. Trouble with TV's is they don't get updated after a while with the latest client software. A later hdmi device plugged into a HDMI port on the older TV should work OK or even a smart phone/tablet with a chromecast connected to the older TV might be a solution.

| Sun 7 Jan 2018 20:56:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

giskard

Thanks, yes, I did think that'd be the case but you'd think that if a device is DLNA-compliant then it'd work but obviously not. A Raspberry Pi 3 with Plex or XBMC might be in order, or a Roku device?

| Sun 7 Jan 2018 21:03:19 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

giskard - 43 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks, yes, I did think that'd be the case but you'd think that if a device is DLNA-compliant then it'd work but obviously not. A Raspberry Pi 3 with Plex or XBMC might be in order, or a Roku device?

Just look at the updates over the years for the popular TwonkyMedia software.

A Rasberry PI seems an excellent solution and a great idea for a new thread here. If you go down that route please share your experience. I and many others would be very interested.

You might even persuade me to get one

| Sun 7 Jan 2018 21:54:13 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

giskard

I'll try it with an original version RaspPi model B and see how it goes.

| Fri 19 Jan 2018 20:27:54 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luddym

special member

giskard - 17 hours ago  » 
    I'll try it with an original version RaspPi model B and see how it goes.

I'm using a Pi model 3+ with Kodi 17.4 as an add-on in the Retropie store. Though I'm pretty sure OSMC or openelec will work just the same.

I have the 4000 though, but it works just fine. As always it, can only stream SD recordings via Kodi.

| Sat 20 Jan 2018 14:27:41 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.