My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 5000T Disappointment

(48 posts)
  1. Soloist

Soloist

I have had two Fox T2 pvrs both of which failed due to overheating but they were great during the 5 years I had them. So I bought a 5000T a week ago. After the Fox T2 it is a huge disappointment in terms of the navigation and poor quality of the large text and boxes in the menus with, in some cases duplicated text. I miss the dedicated jump forward and back buttons. I could go on and on about other shortcomings but that is enough for now.
    There seems to be a fault with my unit; after it has been on for a couple of hours there are vertical striations on the right one third of the screen visible on dark areas of the picture and more so on black . Also, when the screen is black there is a gradual change of shading across the screen; blacker on the left than the right. Has anyone else had either of these faults?
    Soloist.

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 15:03:03 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Not seen anything like the picture issue. Check your TV setup that HDMI black levels are set to normal on the HDMI input you are using. The alternative may say extended or 256 black levels.

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 15:14:00 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Hi Soloist, on the jump forward or back point, just use the Right or left button beside the ok button to bring it up the time line on the screen.
    Then if you press the right button it will jump forward by the pre-set time set up by you, or press the left button to jump backward in time again by the amount of your pre-set time.
    The 5000t has a completely different user interface from your T2.
    I think you will find that the person that designed the interface was thinking along the lines of a windows P.C. rather than the pvr interface that the T2 used.
    Good Luck

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 15:36:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Soloist - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have had two Fox T2 pvrs both of which failed due to overheating but they were great during the 5 years I had them.

As a matter of interest; what were the failure symptoms on the HDR-FOX T2s and why do you think it was overheating?

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 17:58:17 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AJ

john1 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Soloist, on the jump forward or back point, just use the Right or left button beside the ok button to bring it up the time line on the screen.
    Then if you press the right button it will jump forward by the pre-set time set up by you, or press the left button to jump backward in time again by the amount of your pre-set time.

Except if you’re in timeshift mode where you get the channel list if trying to do that. You need to first press one of the playback buttons to do it.

If up/down go to the channel list can the left/right please be made to have the same behaviour as in playback mode in a future update?

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 18:10:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

Yes AJ that's correct.
    If my memory serves me correctly.
    You had to do that on the T2 as well. You had to press the play button to get into the time slip mode, then the designated forward jump button.

on the 5000t,you press the play button, then the arrow right( by the ok one) button to jump forward.
    It's just a different pathway to get the same result.

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 20:05:00 #6 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

Soloist - 2 hours ago  » 
    I have had two Fox T2 pvrs both of which failed due to overheating but they were great during the 5 years I had them.

As a matter of interest; what were the failure symptoms on the HDR-FOX T2s and why do you think it was overheating?

I'd also be interested in your answer having had to replace a hard drive in a friends machine due to excessive heat causing constant corruption and errors. I installed the CF fan control to set it to run constantly in the absence of being able to resite it with greater airflow.

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 20:07:36 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

john1 - 44 minutes ago  » 
    Yes AJ that's correct.
    If my memory serves me correctly.
    You had to do that on the T2 as well. You had to press the play button to get into the time slip mode, then the designated forward jump button.
    on the 5000t,you press the play button, then the arrow right( by the ok one) button to jump forward.
    It's just a different pathway to get the same result.

Nope the HDR-FOX-T2 uses the same keys as used to skip forward and back in the epg to skip. The remote has a circular arrow clockwise and anti-clockwise above the colour keys on the right.

| Wed 20 Dec 2017 20:53:51 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

Soloist - 17 hours ago  » 
    ..... There seems to be a fault with my unit; after it has been on for a couple of hours there are vertical striations on the right one third of the screen visible on dark areas of the picture and more so on black . Also, when the screen is black there is a gradual change of shading across the screen; blacker on the left than the right. Has anyone else had either of these faults?
    Soloist.

I have this on my 4000 and just accept it as yet another 'quirk' after the super slick HDR-Fox T2. I see them on the right if I press the Humax volume button, but it goes away once the on-screen graphic goes off. I get it on the left when you call up the channel numbers and along the bottom when you the play bar is showing, but as you say only when there are dark backgrounds.

The interface is a complete mess, its like more than one idea of how to do things have just been patched together and given the processing power of a 1980's PC. The guide is quite good now, apart from navigation speed, but the recording menu etc just don't match it sleekness.

I just hope and pray that Humax listen to all of these complaints and start making a decent PVR again. If they are not going to use the coloured buttons, just take them away from the remote as they are a constant reminder how how useful they used to be!

| Thu 21 Dec 2017 8:13:48 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Harters - 1 hour ago  » ...I just hope and pray that Humax listen to all of these complaints and start making a decent PVR again. If they are not going to use the coloured buttons, just take them away from the remote as they are a constant reminder how how useful they used to be!

The problem is that in order to obtain branding/labelling permission from Freesat and Freeview, Humax have surrendered development of the s/w to those organisations, who in turn have farmed it out to a third party who in each case have clearly never developed a PVR interface before.

| Thu 21 Dec 2017 9:58:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.