My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP 5000T photograph display problems?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimBee

As a number of FVP5000T owners are now posting their experiences of the unit I am asking if someone could do some tests on one for me please.
    Have copied below some text from my earlier post when trying out a loan FVP4000T
    It relates to the inability to use the advertised Humax Media Server for displaying photographs of anything over a certain size.

““When looking at a selection of stored photos in jpeg format it was OK on older lower resolution ones at 2045 x 1536 pixels but when a more recent 3264 x 2448 pixels image was selected a message came up on screen:-
    "Cannot support this file because the size exceeds 3300 x 2500".
    The message was displayed over the image or on a black background.
    Humax have apparently confirmed the limitation for the FVP4000T and I am wishing to know if the problem has been resolved for the new unit.
    As well as trying to view them from a house server I loaded similar sized pictures on a USB stick and plugged it into the PVR. The same error message came up.
    Then put the USB stick in a separate old WD TV Live Streaming Media Player also connected to the TV.
    No problems. That unit delivered everything correctly displayed as it has always done.

I have checked all available documentation on both of the PVR units and cannot find any reference to picture size limitations.
    All our photos are taken at this higher resolution these days and unless some explanation regarding the problem and cure is available the PVR Media Player photograph displaying function will be of little use.
    I am aware of facilities available to package the images in a more readable format but would like to be able to quickly load them onto a USB stick and view.””

Could an owner of the new unit please load some images of greater pixel dimensions than 3300 x 2500 and report if they are viewable or is the same error notice displayed.
    Many thanks

| Wed 8 Nov 2017 16:42:54 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TimBee - 2 hours ago  » 
    As a number of FVP5000T owners are now posting their experiences of the unit I am asking if someone could do some tests on one for me please.
    Have copied below some text from my earlier post when trying out a loan FVP4000T
    It relates to the inability to use the advertised Humax Media Server for displaying photographs of anything over a certain size.
    ““When looking at a selection of stored photos in jpeg format it was OK on older lower resolution ones at 2045 x 1536 pixels but when a more recent 3264 x 2448 pixels image was selected a message came up on screen:-
    "Cannot support this file because the size exceeds 3300 x 2500".
    The message was displayed over the image or on a black background.
    Humax have apparently confirmed the limitation for the FVP4000T and I am wishing to know if the problem has been resolved for the new unit.
    As well as trying to view them from a house server I loaded similar sized pictures on a USB stick and plugged it into the PVR. The same error message came up.
    Then put the USB stick in a separate old WD TV Live Streaming Media Player also connected to the TV.
    No problems. That unit delivered everything correctly displayed as it has always done.
    I have checked all available documentation on both of the PVR units and cannot find any reference to picture size limitations.
    All our photos are taken at this higher resolution these days and unless some explanation regarding the problem and cure is available the PVR Media Player photograph displaying function will be of little use.
    I am aware of facilities available to package the images in a more readable format but would like to be able to quickly load them onto a USB stick and view.””
    Could an owner of the new unit please load some images of greater pixel dimensions than 3300 x 2500 and report if they are viewable or is the same error notice displayed.
    Many thanks

I doubt very much it will be any different as both boxes share the same hardware and the jpeg processing available will be built into the large scale video processing chip.

However I will dig out my Nikon DSLR tomorrow and try a couple of images.

| Wed 8 Nov 2017 18:49:15 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Started with a 6000 x 4000 (24Mp) image. Saved it as a .jpg and also resized to 3300 x 2200 image (Camera set to record 4:3 images).

Saved to a SDHC USB 3.0 stick. FVP-5000T will not read so not SDHC compatible.

Saved to older USB 2.0 stick. 5000T reads the stick but generates identical error message as 4000T

| Thu 9 Nov 2017 10:44:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimBee

Thanks for taking the time to research my perceived problem and come to the same conclusion, that the two FVP models are incapable of displaying fixed images above a low pixel dimension size. This saddens me to a degree because if they had this capability within their Media Server section to display what are normal size images these days the whole unit would be a very attractive purchase. As I wait now for my favourite retailer to get the FVP-5000T in store I have time to decide if this will now really suit our needs. Can get round the image problem but it requires the use of other kit. Was hoping to have everything in one package.

Am also annoyed that Humax keep this problem well disguised. There is nothing mentioned in the product data for both models. Perhaps something some greater authority could resolve?

| Sat 11 Nov 2017 10:36:56 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

TimBee - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for taking the time to research my perceived problem and come to the same conclusion, that the two FVP models are incapable of displaying fixed images above a low pixel dimension size. This saddens me to a degree because if they had this capability within their Media Server section to display what are normal size images these days the whole unit would be a very attractive purchase. As I wait now for my favourite retailer to get the FVP-5000T in store I have time to decide if this will now really suit our needs. Can get round the image problem but it requires the use of other kit. Was hoping to have everything in one package.
    Am also annoyed that Humax keep this problem well disguised. There is nothing mentioned in the product data for both models. Perhaps something some greater authority could resolve?

I use software to create animated slide show HD movies complete with synchronised music. Looks a lot more professional.

Try one of the trial versions.

http://www.photodex.com/

Incidentally the G2 Freesat boxes won't handle the big jpegs either.

I haven't tested the 5000T with a .mp4 from Proshow.

Pretty sure the restriction is hardware related so no way to fix.

The chip that makes it all work is designed basically to support pvr functions, the other capabilities are a add on. Your media player has a chip designed to support media playback so it's bound to have additional capability.

| Sat 11 Nov 2017 10:53:39 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

HughA

Just tried this on my newly acquired FVP5000-T. I downloaded a 4000x3000 jpg via FTP and I got the message referred to above. The message then disappeared and the photo displayed perfectly! Haven't been able to try with anything bigger though.

| Sat 11 Nov 2017 18:19:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TimBee

That is an interesting piece of news.
    Despite moaning about this display problem we are most probably getting one when stocks arrive locally. I can then see what exactly happens with different image formats.
    The problem should theoretically go away when we decide to replace our oldish but good spec Panasonic TV. It does not have USB ports.
    Any new TV will have them and will hopefully be able to tackle these images. Just to make sure a USB stick with viewable data will be carried into the shop when selecting the new model!
    Thanks to all for the responses.

| Sat 11 Nov 2017 19:18:59 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.