My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-5000T subtitles on ITV Hub

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

LeighC

The ITV Hub webpage https://help.itv.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002766434-How-do-I-switch-subtitles-on-off- says "If subtitles are available for your show, you should see an S symbol at the top right hand side of the video when the show starts. Simply press the S button to switch them on and off." But viewing via my 5000T the S button hasn't popped up on any of the available catch-up items I have tried.

Since I can get subtitles on my computer when watching catch-up episodes on the ITV Hub, it seems to me that the problem can't be with the ITV Hub but must be with the 5000T.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Do Humax acknowledge it as a fault? Is there a fix for it?

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 12:43:00 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

As the box will show subtitles when present from the other catch up services the issue is clearly down to ITV.

Viewing subtitles as I type on ALL 4 Escape To The Chateau DIY using a 5000T.

You van view the subtitles on the ITV Hub on a smart phone or tablet but they cannot be chromecast to a TV. That has to be a ITV issue. You can't get subtitles either on the ITV-HUB app installed on a Fire TV or Firestick clearly nothing to do with Humax.

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 12:45:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

LeighC

Couldn't you say with equal logic that as ITV catch-up programmes do have subtitles (those that do - not all do, presumably) and they are available/accessible on other devices (PC, tablet, etc.) then the problem must be with the box, as presumably the content it receives from ITV has the subtitles?

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 12:51:54 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

LeighC - 50 seconds ago  » 
    Couldn't you say with equal logic that as ITV catch-up programmes do have subtitles (those that do - not all do, presumably) and they are available/accessible on other devices (PC, tablet, etc.) then the problem must be with the box, as presumably the content it receives from ITV has the subtitles?

The catch up services are most likely provided by Freeview Play servers as they are provided by Freesat on the g2 Freesat boxes.

How do you explain why the other broadcasters on demand apps on the same box do display subtitles when present ?

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 12:54:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

LeighC

You could be right. You also know a lot more about it than I do!

Your comment "You can't get subtitles either on the ITV-HUB app installed on a Fire TV or Firestick" does seem to point the finger at the ITV Hub having frailties/inadequacies in this area.

I assume that if/when I pose the question to Humax and the ITV Hub, either they'll ignore me or each will blame the other. I wonder whether users of Fire TV or Firestick have asked the ITV Hub about subtitles, and what answer they got.

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 13:49:38 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Just checked the ITV-HUB app on a HDR-1000S Freesat box. ITV has no subtitles on that platform either.

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 14:06:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

LeighC

Looks like we're moving on from "on the balance of probabilities" in the direction of "beyond reasonable doubt". Though whether the ITV Hub will plead guilty remains to be seen.

Thanks for gathering that additional evidence.

| Mon 29 Oct 2018 14:41:51 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.