My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP-5000T USB problem

(8 posts)
  1. andyb63uk

Andy B

Tried 3 differently memory sticks and an external hdd to transfer avi files to or from my 5000t as I have done on many occasions before.

However, now it seems to either take forever or not at all and the little blue triangle merrily spins away.

I had 1x 2.1gb avi file the other day, set it to move from USB to internal hdd then went out for a couple of hours, when I got back it was still spinning and had not transfered.

Moving, copying, to or from, side or rear USB port gets the same result.

Any clues please?

| Sun 28 Mar 2021 14:17:01 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Not really got a clue. I had found that the rear port appeared to be faster for saving files - until the other day when it took overnight to transfer a one hour SD file. I haven't got around to trying it again, but I think my problem was the wrong format for the USB stick. I usually use NTFS but this time I had it NTFS with compression. Perhaps that made a difference.

| Mon 29 Mar 2021 11:03:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

With the USB stick set to just NTFS no compression and plugged into rear port the time taken was excessive. I tried a USB drive as well. This did complete the copying of files but took much longer than I remember. I'm not sure what has changed.

| Wed 31 Mar 2021 9:47:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andyb63uk - 2 days ago  » 
    Tried 3 differently memory sticks and an external hdd to transfer avi files to or from my 5000t as I have done on many occasions before.
    However, now it seems to either take forever or not at all and the little blue triangle merrily spins away.

Have you considered using FTP? See page 24 of the user manual.

| Wed 31 Mar 2021 12:42:45 #4 |
  5. andyb63uk

Andy B

Unless you have a magic wand, FTP has never worked for me. I've tried for years to get that to work. Windows 10 doesn't see it on my network and never has.

| Wed 31 Mar 2021 18:11:45 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

andyb63uk - 3 mins ago  » 
    Windows 10 doesn't see it on my network and never has.

You don't see an ftp server on the network. What I would suggest is that you have a try with the free Filezilla ftp client software. Obviously you need to have enabled the FTP server on the Humax and activated the Download folder.

| Wed 31 Mar 2021 18:16:52 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

What I would suggest is that you have a try with the free Filezilla ftp client software.

In my experience FTP is the best, safest and fastest way to get recordings from the FVP to another device. Filezilla seems good on all platforms. You don't need to enable the download folder unless you want to move media files from some other device to the FVP (so called download folder). Note that HD recordings will not play on another device. If you want to archive and delete (to create space) you will need to move the archived files to a hidden .recordings directory on a USB device to play them again on the FVP that recorded them. One other tip - if you have a spare computer, use that to run the FTP client and let it run in the background; even FTP from HUMAX only manages 5 M Bytes per sec max on my network so expect it to run for hours. But at least you can monitor what is going on. Note there is a quirk with reporting of large files - anything larger than 4GB (.TS files) is reported wrongly in Filezilla but ignore that and let it run.

| Thu 1 Apr 2021 8:23:51 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamRHK

special member

I have just re-read the original post... Yes, if you want to move files TO the FVP you will need to enable the download folder on the box. Although Filezilla will see the download folder even if not enabled and from memory I have been able to move files to it. Hope this helps.

| Thu 1 Apr 2021 8:43:50 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.