My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP4000T & 5000T Wish List

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

Hi all,

I've just purchased a FVP-4000T which I think was one of the last items in stock pre-5000's as out of the box, the unit had the new software UKTFAE 1.03.39, the updated RML-08 Remote & underneath-unit LED lighting rather than LED's on the front right-hand side as the first models did.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the unit as a whole, and even though I've only had it a couple of days to eventually replace a Freesat HDR-1000S the user experience is very good, though a bit different from the HDR-1000S and the difference in remote layout takes a bit of getting used to.

That said, there are a few features of the FVP-4000 (and 5000?) which seem counter-intuitive compared to the HDR-1000S, which I'd like to comment on and put forward for a wish list, which might hopefully be addressed in a future software update to further enhance the user experience:

Start Recording On-Screen Reminder
    By far the most annoying feature of the FVP-4000T I've found so far is when a previously scheduled recording actually begins, a reminder appears on screen via the FVP-4000 to inform the user the recording has started. The huge black rectangular square appearing at the top of the screen is extremely distracting if the viewer is trying to concentrate on a previously recorded programme being played.

Perhaps OK if it's a light programme such as "Eggheads" or "Homes Under the Hammer", but not so good if a huge black rectangle appears during a tense drama such as "Shetland", which seems a superfluous reminder to inform (for example) "Gogglebox" is starting recording on Channel 4.

It's ruddy annoying when you're concentrating on a programme, and shouldn't be needed with a 3 tuner unit as there's less scope for programme conflicts.

Skip Backward/Skip Forward
    When viewing a recorded programme, in order to skip backward or forward on the HDR it was a one button remote press via the top |<< or >>| buttons.

https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/accessories/rm-i08u.html

On the FVP remote it's a trickier affair, as the Play > needs to be engaged, followed by the < or > near the OK button half way down the remote in order to do the same action.

FVP-4000T remote layout

If the two buttons on the FVP remote could be programmed to function the other way round (ffwd x 2, x4 etc via the > near the OK button) & the skip forward/backward feature near the play button, it would make the remote far more user intuitive.

Accessing Recordings
    The RML-08 remote on the FVP has a "direct recordings" button which is necessary, but after selecting the programme to be watched, if in "chase" mode the first on-screen option is to "Watch Live" (whilst recording).

A couple of times I've mistakenly selected this rather than "Play this Recording", which requires an additional press of the 'down button' then OK.

A minor niggle, but again a minor annoyance as I've begun watching the programme being recorded live without realising it was being recorded from the beginning!

No "i" button
    A right old faff to find out the synopsis of what's being recorded without this button, but if the ^ near "OK" on the RML-08 could be employed to give a one-button press (with brief synopsis) for on-screen display rather than just the title of the recording, it would be much better for the end user as a quick way to find out which episode is being watched if from series link.

Subtitle button
    HDR-1000S remote required one button press to toggle Subtitles on/off, with a second press only necessary for secondary subtitle language if available

FVP-4000T remote requires two button presses to toggle Subtitles on, first button press displays "Subtitle-Off", second button press to "Subtitle-English"

Again, it seems over-complicated compared to the HDR-1000S & if this could be simplified it would be helpful.

I'm unsure if it's possible to fix these (mostly) minor issues in a future SW update (except for the "Start Recording On-Screen Reminder" which is a major pain), but for me if these issues were addressed it would make the box perfect!

| Sat 3 Mar 2018 16:55:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

billzebub2000

After the numerous updates that the 4000t has had since I bought mine in June 2016, it would be nice to have all the IP/Internet channels and the QVC interactive stream working correctly. Is there a particular reason why some of the internet channels don't work, while others do?

Other than that, I'm very happy with my 4000t.

| Sat 3 Mar 2018 18:59:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

andyd1302 - 4 hours ago  » 

When viewing a recorded programme, in order to skip backward or forward on the HDR it was a one button remote press via the top |<< or >>| buttons.
    On the FVP remote it's a trickier affair, as the Play > needs to be engaged, followed by the < or > near the OK button half way down the remote in order to do the same action.
    FVP-4000T remote layout
    If the two buttons on the FVP remote could be programmed to function the other way round (ffwd x 2, x4 etc via the > near the OK button) & the skip forward/backward feature near the play button, it would make the remote far more user intuitive.

As I've gone past the editing window on-forum, I've since discovered the quick shortcut to the skip forward/backwards is just one press of the < or > near the OK button on the remote (without involving the play button at all), so already there's one less item on my wish list.

It's a voyage of discovery with Humax!

| Sat 3 Mar 2018 22:01:13 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

FAQ's are your friend

| Sat 3 Mar 2018 22:30:27 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

Barry - 11 hours ago  » 
    FAQ's are your friend

Thanks Barry, noted to avoid future embarrassment

| Sun 4 Mar 2018 10:07:39 #5 |
  6. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

andyd1302 - 13 hours ago  » 

andyd1302 - 4 hours ago  » 
    FVP-4000T remote layout

As I've gone past the editing window on-forum, I've since discovered the quick shortcut to the skip forward/backwards is just one press of the < or > near the OK button on the remote (without involving the play button at all), so already there's one less item on my wish list.
    It's a voyage of discovery with Humax!

That works as long as you haven't paused the recording. If you have then you do need to press the Play button to highlight the time bar the next time you want to skip forward/back.

| Sun 4 Mar 2018 11:27:23 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.