My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP4000t Dead.

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

I have a FVP400T which recently died of what I do not know [it just wont power up], it just suddenly went dead whilst viewing a recording. I have now purchased a new FVP5000. Can I return the old one to 'Humax' for refurbishment, its complete with power supply and remote in original box. It seems a shame to just chuck it in the bin.

| Mon 12 Oct 2020 14:55:32 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

seniorbj - 6 mins ago  » 
    I have a FVP400T which recently died of what I do not know [it just wont power up], it just suddenly went dead whilst viewing a recording. I have now purchased a new FVP5000. Can I return the old one to 'Humax' for refurbishment, its complete with power supply and remote in original box. It seems a shame to just chuck it in the bin.

Did you check to see if the power brick is outputting 12V DC ?

| Mon 12 Oct 2020 15:02:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

Yes I did it powers the new one OK.

| Mon 12 Oct 2020 19:04:54 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

seniorbj - 44 mins ago  » 
    Yes I did it powers the new one OK.

Have you opened the case and looked for any signs of a failed component ? There is a fixed price third party fix but I guess you will not want to fork out for that.

A completely dead box is not a common symptom.

With the box opened disconnect the Hard Drive power and data connections. If it then boots as a non recording box, the hard drive has failed. Replacing it is a simple DIY repair.

| Mon 12 Oct 2020 19:54:26 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

I have opened the case and had a look for any obvious signs of failed components, none seen. Removed hard drive still no signs of life. Some moons previous I fixed an old Humax by changing a blown capacitor, these new boxes are very up to date all solid state, obviously requires test equipment to trouble shoot.

| Wed 14 Oct 2020 19:25:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Timdersticks

seniorbj - 3 days ago  » 

I had exactly this about a week or so ago - the box was coming up for 5 years old, so although Graham says that a complete failure is not common, perhaps this is the rough life span of these boxes (have noticed other 4000s have failed recently too)? I might try and have a look inside but I honestly wouldn't have any idea what I was looking for, or any real idea how to replace it.

| Thu 15 Oct 2020 18:08:11 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

seniorbj

A coincidence? maybe, but my box was just five years old also, so perhaps that is their life expectancy. I wouldn't bother taking the case apart as you are right there is nothing to see, think of a small computer motherboard. It seems strange that the box just suddenly acts as if has just been switched off, no warning whatsoever. So it will probably finish up at the local tip, onboard hard drive is only worth peanuts.

| Thu 15 Oct 2020 18:58:02 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Timdersticks

Yeah, very odd. I might send mine off to that site that Graham mentioned at some point, as I would like to rescue the recordings if possible, and it would be good to have another box that can be used with a second television (if we get one at some point). It is a pain though as you say. Also a bit of a pain that you can't copy programmes to an external hard drive unless they're recorded in SD (I think?) - when most people probably record in HD as default now, it's not very helpful!

| Fri 16 Oct 2020 8:18:50 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.