My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

FVP5000T No Sound on all SD channels

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rogerd

I don't use SD much but I recorded something on Talking Pictures a few weeks ago and have just gone to watch it to discover no sound, pic okay. After a while I discovered that any SD channel live view also had no sound. I did a retune (manual) of all relevant multiplexes but the fault remains.
    I now assume that a factory reset is necessary but the manual warns that all recordings will be deleted. If I copy all recordings to a USB drive or via FTP over my network, I realise that HD recordings remain decrypted but will they remain safe for copying back after a factory reset and play okay once this is done? Can anybody reassure me about this please? Thanks.....

| Mon 6 Apr 2020 18:24:47 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Before you do anything. Use the box remote control to turn up the box volume to max.

| Mon 6 Apr 2020 18:48:46 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 20 secs ago  » 
    Before you do anything. Use the box remote control to turn up the box volume to max.

A factory reset does not delete your recordings, provided you do not select format).

It resets any changes to default settings you may have made (including the volume).

It's the recording schedule that gets deleted. Just photograph it with a digital camera first.

| Mon 6 Apr 2020 18:51:07 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rogerd

Graham, I'm much obliged for your input. I must have altered the R/C volume at some stage some time back - I can't think why although I'm puzzled why it only affects SD audio and not HD. All the equipment is in a remote rack so I can't see round the back easily but I believe it's an HDMI connection between the Humax and the amp and I'm not using optical or analogue connections.
    Anyway, top marks for sorting my problem within minutes!

| Mon 6 Apr 2020 19:05:02 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

rogerd - 33 mins ago  » 
    I now assume that a factory reset is necessary but the manual warns that all recordings will be deleted.

As Graham has already stated that is not the case.

Some versions(s) of the manual are wrong, and some are correct.

What the newer versions of the manual should have stated was not that the "recordings" would be deleted but that the "recording schedule" will be deleted.

| Mon 6 Apr 2020 19:09:32 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rogerd - 1 hour ago  » 
    Graham, I'm much obliged for your input. I must have altered the R/C volume at some stage some time back - I can't think why although I'm puzzled why it only affects SD audio and not HD. All the equipment is in a remote rack so I can't see round the back easily but I believe it's an HDMI connection between the Humax and the amp and I'm not using optical or analogue connections.
    Anyway, top marks for sorting my problem within minutes!

There's a simple reason for this and a equally simple fix.

High Definition channels use a more advanced audio codec capable of providing 5.1 sound. The box converts this to Dolby Digital audio. The volume level is hard coded into the DD audio data. It can only be volume controlled after it is docoded to analogue audio. Most TV's do not handle dolby digital audio very well.

SD channels use a digital compression codec known as PCM - Pulse Code Modulation.

The Humax can control the volume level at source.

If you change the box hdmi output from surround to stereo. The box will then recode DD to PCM. The volume control on the box will then work on all channels.

The trick is then to turn down the TV volume, then turn up the box volume to near max. Turn up the TV volume to a normal level. After this control the volume using the TV remote. That way HD and SD channels will play back at similar levels.

| Mon 6 Apr 2020 21:05:20 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rogerd

Thanks for the extra info Graham and the fix for working with a single remote. I use a programmable remote to control functions of the Hummy, my amp and TV (complicated by an IP link to the remote equipment) and rarely watch SD TV channels so I'll leave things as they are keeping in mind the affect that the Hummy remote V/C can have!

| Tue 7 Apr 2020 9:23:09 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rogerd

Also thanks to Luke for an earlier note on user manual corrections regarding factory resets. It's great to have knowledgeable members around for occasions such as these.

| Tue 7 Apr 2020 9:25:08 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.