My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Hacking FOXSAT-HD firmware

(10 posts)
  1. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Off-topic: I still need to find time to install your improved firmware on the FOXSAT-HDR, but just one question: do you think you could hack the FOXSAT-HD's firmware to play recordings off a USB drive or via the net?

| Mon 28 Mar 2011 13:31:21 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

son_t - 3 hours ago  » 
    do you think you could hack the FOXSAT-HD's firmware to play recordings off a USB drive or via the net?

I'm not sure. The custom firmware on HDR utilises space on the hard disk to store and run custom apps as there is only 1MB of flash rom available for the OS. Even unmodded, the OS uses 960KB of this, so there's very litle room for additions. Hence the need for the handoff to the HDD. So with no permanent HDD you can see the dilemma. No harm in having a look at a Foxsat HD firmware to see if there's any way forward. Just need the time.

| Mon 28 Mar 2011 17:50:03 #2 |
  3. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Thanks for the reply. If you need to borrow an HD box, I am able to loan my for the good cause

| Mon 28 Mar 2011 20:52:21 #4 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

son_t - 5 days ago  » Do you think you could hack the FOXSAT-HD's firmware to play recordings off a USB drive or via the net?

@son_t. Just to clarify things. Did you mean 'make and play recordings' as in a fully functioning PVR like Humax have done with the HD Fox T2. I don't think that would be possible. Or did you mean give the Foxsat HD a DLNA server service to stream other non Humax video content off a connected USB drive to a PC or laptop etc. ?

| Sat 2 Apr 2011 14:29:26 #3 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Hey raydon - this sounds like you are starting to think about it...

What I am thinking is simple:
    1, make the HD a DLNA client (play recordings off the HDR that you've turned into a server)
    2, make the HD capable of playing media (avi or ts) from an attached USB drive

Is one more likely than the other (two)?

| Sat 2 Apr 2011 18:54:47 #6 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

son_t - 15 hours ago  » 
    1, make the HD a DLNA client (play recordings off the HDR that you've turned into a server)

Sorry son_t, don't believe either option is possible.

| Sun 3 Apr 2011 10:38:26 #7 |
  7. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

raydon - 7 hours ago  » 

son_t - 15 hours ago  » 

Oh well, thanks for having a look. I wonder if Barry could have a nag at Humax..?

The FOXSAT-HD is a lovely box; USB and LAN capable - just need Humax to work on either of these two areas, and reward those faithfuls who adopted the box from the start!

| Sun 3 Apr 2011 18:37:29 #8 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

son_t - 2 hours ago  » 

raydon - 7 hours ago  » 

son_t - 15 hours ago  » 

Oh well, thanks for having a look. I wonder if Barry could have a nag at Humax..?
    The FOXSAT-HD is a lovely box; USB and LAN capable - just need Humax to work on either of these two areas, and reward those faithfuls who adopted the box from the start!

Yes, I totally agree. I can't see any reason why they cannot give it PVR functionality via external USB, like they did with the HD Fox T2.

| Sun 3 Apr 2011 21:07:53 #9 |
  9. super-admin

super-admin

senior admin

Split topic from

| Thu 7 Apr 2011 9:42:41 #1 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

garyd

Is there anyway you could mount a usb drive to give you the extra room? Is there enough room in the firmware to include samba so you could mount a network drive?

(I'm just jealous of the extra features the HDR owners have - I bought my HD about 3 months before the HDR came out)

| Sat 29 Oct 2011 13:20:47 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.