My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Haloing / Edge Enhancement on Humax / BT / Youview

(9 posts)
  1. Fogzax

Fogzax

Hi all - I've had my BT Youview box for a few months now. My main issue is that I am getting an intermittent haloing effect on the video signal running through the box. To be clear this is the kind of effect when edge enhancement has been applied to an image and you can see haloing on the edge of high contrast areas in the image. It also gives the image a processed unpleasant look. However it is also the kind of issue that many people might overlook - my girlfriend for example does not notice it but it drives me crazy. The effect is not constant and I have found that rebooting the box can help but ultimately there is no way to predict when it will be present or not. When the problem goes away completely the picture looks lovely and natural but there is nothing I can do to make it go away completely. Another strange anomaly with this is that the haloing is never present on the GUI aspect of the box, only the video signal whether that is from freeview, catchup or netflix. I did contact BT about this, they said they would send a tech guy round but I was nervous about being charged for the call out because the box does work, it just doesn't work as well as I would like it to. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be happening here? As I understand it the humax does not apply any kind of edge enhancement to the image - could there be some kind of subtle error with the hardware?

| Sat 28 Nov 2015 22:52:21 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Hi,
    Could you give a few more details please :-
    Is the Humax box fed to the TV via HDMI?
    Have you tried turning off all digital processing on the TV?
    Have you tried feeding via another TV input?
    When it happens does it last for the whole programme?
    Have you tried it on another TV, as there might be some conflict between the the box and TV, processing wise on different programmes.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 11:45:45 #2 |
  3. Fogzax

Fogzax

Hi Fedman - thanks for the reply

The Humax is connected via HDMI, yes
    Yes all digital processing is turned off on TV and sharpness set to 0 (its a Samsung)
    I've tried inputting via each HDMI input on the TV (there are 2) - no difference to the problem
    I've never seen it fluctuate whilst I've been watching the TV. At some point when I turn it on the effect will have gone or calmed down somewhat. A reboot of the box will usually have a positive effect on the issue but this is a pain to do every time it happens and it doesn't always fix it completely. I really don't know what causes it and what makes it go away.
    I haven't tried it on another TV but I do have an older set that I gave away that I have thought about connecting it to - just need to get it back from my neighbour. I will give it a go.

The big thing that makes me think it is not a problem with the TV is that the GUI is not affected. So, for example if I bring up any kind of graphical menu on the humax this will not suffer any kind of haloing even if the video that is on the screen at the same time does. So this makes me think it is the way the box is processing the video that is at fault.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 18:41:35 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Hi,
    I take your point regarding the internal graphics, but these are not subjected to as much processing within the box as the broadcast video signal. So whatever is the cause seems to be related only to the broadcast video.
    Certainly worth a try on a different TV.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 19:49:18 #4 |
  5. Fogzax

Fogzax

I'll give it a go thanks - in the meantime I will just have to keep rebooting the box whenever it gets too much.

| Sun 29 Nov 2015 23:36:54 #5 |
  6. Fogzax

Fogzax

I have finally worked out what is causing this problem - it is the NETFLIX app and only the NETFLIX app - everytime I watch something on NETLFIX and then exit it the video signal on the youview box becomes artificially sharpened and displays haloing. I have tried this on two seperate youview boxes on my TV and in both cases I get the same results. No other app or catch up player gives me this effect. The only way to get rid of the excessive sharpness once NETFLIX has been watched is to reboot the box.

| Fri 22 Apr 2016 18:10:53 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Fogzax - 30 minutes ago  » 
    I have finally worked out what is causing this problem - it is the NETFLIX app and only the NETFLIX app - everytime I watch something on NETLFIX and then exit it the video signal on the youview box becomes artificially sharpened and displays haloing. I have tried this on two seperate youview boxes on my TV and in both cases I get the same results. No other app or catch up player gives me this effect. The only way to get rid of the excessive sharpness once NETFLIX has been watched is to reboot the box.

Impressive spot Is there also any chance the box is left processing what it assumes is 60Hz content for a 50Hz display ?

| Fri 22 Apr 2016 18:43:01 #7 |
  8. Fogzax

Fogzax

Hi Graham - I would say not because if I log out of netflix and then back in again the image will be displaying the edge enhanced look on netflix itself. I started to notice this because sometimes the sound goes out of synch on netflix and I would drop out of it and then back in again to try and fix it. It did fix the audio synch but the haloing would be there when it was not before. Eventually it dawned on me that maybe it is netflix causing this glitch. I have found in the netflix settings on the YV box under the help menu an option for reloading netflix without leaving it so I will be using that to correct audio synch issues in the future. I'm really happy at least to be able to watch YouView with the best possible quality image, I just need to reboot after every netflix viewing. Obviously not an ideal situation but maybe one of the tech guys may eventually pick up on this and fix it.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 20:25:45 #8 |
  9. Fogzax

Fogzax

i did a vid to illustrate and pass on to the guys at youview who i am in conversation with via email https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKD_4ZdJIog&feature=youtu.be

| Fri 13 May 2016 20:12:41 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.