My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Hard disc issue

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kingsoflympne

I have a Foxsat HDR/GB unit which is about 2 to 3 years old - it was originally another family member's so I don't know its exact age.
    It got stuck in the BOOT screen and no matter how many times I powered it ON and OFF it would not come out of that screen.
    Looking in this Forum, I saw that disconnecting the hard drive might be a solution, which I did.
    Hey Presto! I have got out of the BOOT screen. Thanks.
    But if I reconnect the hard drive I get the same error. (I haven't tried connecting whilst powered up!)
    So question, is this a hard drive error, or a hard drive controller error? If its the hard drive, can I buy a replacement, whats the format, and where from?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

| Mon 21 Nov 2011 14:42:32 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's a consumer electonics SATA drive. Currently these are hard to get and expensive due to the flooding in Thailand.

The hdr will set up a drive for you up to 1TB just by installing it.

If you install EXT2FS on your PC and connect a usb sata drive cradle like this one to your PC with the drive dropped in you will be able to see if you can read the disc structure. THe recordings will be in the third partition VIDEO folder

http://www.allcam.biz/catalog/product_info.php?ref=7&products_id=693

There's lots of info around on the net about how to swap the drive (A very straightforward job)

| Mon 21 Nov 2011 14:52:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kingsoflympne

Thanks for that, Graham.
    May be going to Thailand on business in the next couple of weeks - to recover some flooded mould tools!
    Maybe I will be able to get a cheap SATA drive whilst there.
    Replacing the drive looks straightforward - similar to replacing that in a PC?
    Bill

| Mon 21 Nov 2011 15:07:34 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

kingsoflympne - 25 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for that, Graham.
    May be going to Thailand on business in the next couple of weeks - to recover some flooded mould tools!
    Maybe I will be able to get a cheap SATA drive whilst there.
    Replacing the drive looks straightforward - similar to replacing that in a PC?
    Bill

Buy a few you might make a killing.

It's actually easier than a PC because the drive is mounted in a removable cradle. Welcome to the forum by the way.

| Mon 21 Nov 2011 15:33:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

kingsoflympne

Hmm,
    I definitely will have to get a replacement drive. Although all the satellite features work fine, BBC i-Player doesn't presumably because, as someone said elsewhere, the hard drive is used to buffer the streaming signal.
    Thanks for the welcome, BTW.
    I am a newbie, work in the plastics industry, live in Kent and am reasonably familiar with PC repairs and upgrades but haven't had to delve into a PVR previously.
    This particular Foxsat HDR/GB has a 320Gb Seagate Pipeline HDD, which seems no longer to work. I have never had a home hard disc failure, previously. It sounds quite normal when it powers up, there are no nasty clicking noises.

| Mon 21 Nov 2011 18:56:09 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Did you try reading the drive on a PC, you may be able to recover your recordings even if the drives a bitt iffy. I keep one of these in my laptop bag.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandberg-USB-All-In-1-HD-link/dp/B000ZX9COM/?tag=blusas008-21

It's dead handy, just used it recover my Sons photographs from the hdd of his dead laptop.

| Mon 21 Nov 2011 19:34:45 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.