My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Hard drive jumper

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, looks like I need to put a jumper on my WD10EZRX drive - it's not being seen by my Foxsat HDR although the pc is quite happy with it and Western Digital's Data Lifeguard can't find any faults. Which pins does the jumper go on? Articles suggest 5 and 6 but I would rather be sure.

| Tue 8 Sep 2020 17:29:30 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 17 mins ago  » 
    Which pins does the jumper go on? Articles suggest 5 and 6

I agree that it is pins 5 and 6.

| Tue 8 Sep 2020 17:52:01 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Yes, that sorted it. It's a 2017 drive; most of the WD Green Technology drives I have fitted have been around 2011-2013.

| Tue 8 Sep 2020 18:05:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi Martin, another query for you on hard disks. I have tried to format disks above 1tb on a Foxsat HDR, eventually learning that they need to be formatted off the machine on a PC running Linux.

I've no experience at all of Linux so I would appreciate a few pointers if you can spare the time. There seem to be many places to download Linux, where do I start? I'd like to run it from CD if possible, my PC will boot from CD. I'd also like to know how to format with Linux and which partitions I would need. I currently have a spare 2tb disk so I'd like to have a go with that.

Any information gratefully received.

| Fri 2 Oct 2020 13:49:27 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Use a linux distro with a GUI. This works very like windows.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-distro-space/

| Fri 2 Oct 2020 14:50:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Thanks, I'll have a play with that when a bit of free time comes up.

| Fri 2 Oct 2020 15:11:54 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Martin, another query for you on hard disks. I have tried to format disks above 1tb on a Foxsat HDR, eventually learning that they need to be formatted off the machine on a PC running Linux.

Not something I have done; this seems like a useful guide https://www.avforums.com/threads/humax-foxsat-hdr-%C2%96-upgrade-hdd-to-2tb.1336395/ Nb this was written before drives with 4kB drives became common so the numbers might need fiddling with. Alternatively something like MiniTool Partition Wizard should do it all from a Windows PC; make sure you use an MBR style partition table.

I've no experience at all of Linux so I would appreciate a few pointers if you can spare the time.

Any Linux distro will do but a simple, small one might be gparted https://gparted.org/livecd.php

| Fri 2 Oct 2020 16:14:10 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.