My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

HD and USB

(2 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wanderer

Hello just registered - great to find this site and forum.

Excuse me if this seems simple and fully covered before, but since I last researched upgrades to my Foxsat- HDR box (mine is a 320gb early model) a couple of years ago things seem to have moved on somewhat. I will certainly be exploring the wonders that the Media and File Server bundle could deliver.

The received wisdom a couple of years ago was that any external HDD would need to be eSata ( formatted EXT2/3) if it was to deal with HD program content, because USB was simply not fast enough to cope with the data throughput. But I notice comments on here using USB drives.

Has anything changed? or is USB only good for SD files?

Also where are we with encrypted HD progs?

| Mon 19 Sep 2011 18:36:59 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

USB2 is easily fast enough for HD replay (including encrypted HD content). The type of disc (IDE/SATA) inside a usb enclosure makes no difference, though these days you will find it hard to find a ide drive. You are probably getting confused with uncompressed HD formats, mpeg compression (h264/AVC for HD) reduces the transmission bitrate well within the capability of usb.

The HD FOX T2 freeview box can record HD directly to a USB drive without difficulty.

Only FAT (Max file size 4GB) and EXT3 is supported (not EXT2, early references to EXT2 were incorrect)

HD material recorded in Freesat mode is normally copy once. Onve copied to usb you can replay the copy from the usb drive.

If you enter non-freesat and reboot, you can manually initiate HD recordings which will be without copy restrictions or encryption.

| Tue 20 Sep 2011 10:16:18 #2 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.