My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDD Reformat message

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JR1

Hi, I've had the HDR FOX T2 for 18 months and the firmware was .20. Yesterday the box froze and wouldn't respond, even from the front power button. Switched the box off and when it restarted it asked to format the drive. The drive is showing 0GB for everything.
    Upgraded to the .28 firmware and ran the new disk check that reported the drive was ok.
    I don't really want to loose all the recorded programs be re-formatting. Any suggestions on how to retrieve them?

| Mon 13 Aug 2012 12:27:50 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

JR1 - 36 minutes ago  » 
    Any suggestions on how to retrieve them?

The easiest way to recover them would be to install the custom firmware and then use the xyz321,s fix-disk package.

| Mon 13 Aug 2012 13:09:14 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JR1

Thanks for the Advice Martin, I will try this tonight.

| Mon 13 Aug 2012 13:41:35 #3 |
  4. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Not convinced this will work, but if your unit is connected to your network you could also try ftp to the unit.

| Mon 13 Aug 2012 15:15:07 #4 |
  5. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

If fix-disk doesn't fix your problem, the easyest way to back-up your files is by using FTP, On Humax turn on FTP e.g. Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> FTP server = on then On a networked P.C. open Internet or Windows Explorer and enter ftp://10.0.0.200 and use logon = humaxftp and password = 0000. NOTE 10.0.0.200 needs to be replaced with the IP address of your Humax, located in Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings. When setup, copy and paste from FTP window to a folder on your P.C.

| Mon 13 Aug 2012 15:17:40 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JR1

Thanks for the help, but none of it worked and under pressure from SWMBO am currently reformatting the drive.
    The custom firmware (HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.28_mod_2.11.zip) appeared to work ok and I got the custom message on the front panel. Unfortunately the web interface didn't work and none of the packages were there. It looked like some directories were missing.
    I tried the fix-disk USB via USB , which again was missing the relevant target directories. I manually created them, but the symbolic links failed when untaring.
    I tried the manual method of putting the Humax in maintenance mode, but again the PEEK target directory was missing and I didn't have access.
    The FTP connected ok but just showed an empty directory.

| Mon 13 Aug 2012 19:56:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

JR1

Just an update as to how its gone.
    The Reformat worked and am able to record again much to SWMBOs pleasure.
    I re-installed the vanilla firmware and custom firwares again and all the cust web functions work now.
    I assume the disk was totally unusable in any way. I wonder what caused this as I don't want it to happen again.I wouldn't have though a system crash would have totally corrupted the HDD.
    Any Ideas anyone?

| Wed 15 Aug 2012 14:07:54 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

xyz321

JR1 - 2 days ago  » 
    The custom firmware (HDR_FOX_T2_1.02.28_mod_2.11.zip) appeared to work ok and I got the custom message on the front panel. Unfortunately the web interface didn't work and none of the packages were there. It looked like some directories were missing.

This is to be expected since it sounds as if the disk was failing to mount.

I tried the fix-disk USB via USB , which again was missing the relevant target directories. I manually created them, but the symbolic links failed when untaring.

I think the only missing directory would have been /var/lib/humaxtv/mod. A script which normally creates this would have failed because of the disk mount problem. The failure to create symlinks is probably down to untarring it in some other directory.

These problems should be fixed in the next release of custom firmware and will hopefully make it a bit more user friendly.

| Wed 15 Aug 2012 22:27:58 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.