My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

HDR-1000S - HDD keeps disappearing

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

crystalgipsy

Hi New to the forum but had my HDR-1000s for over a year and its now started to play up. The HDD sometimes is just not there and thus I have no recordings and cannot record. Sometimes it is there and I get to see my recordings and can record. I tried changing over the drive but that made no difference, it still was very intermittent.

As its out of warranty I cant get a replacement does anyone have any suggestions or am I going to have to bite the bullet and either get it repaired or get a new box.

| Fri 24 Apr 2015 23:03:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Hi crystalgipsy - sounds similar to the problem reported in the thread at http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hdd-not-being-recognised

If so, and if Humax can't/won't help, you could contact the retailer you bought it from. A PVR shouldn't become unusable and unrepairable after such a short life, regardless of warranty status.

| Sat 25 Apr 2015 11:30:36 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

As the problem is very intermittent I would try a reset to default. If that does not work I would at least examine the internal connectors to confirm if they are fully seated.
    (screws inside case legs - remove rubber for access).

| Sat 25 Apr 2015 14:39:19 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

jdlfreetime

special member

I have had the same problem a few times. My machine is now outside warranty period. Now thsi soltion may only help anyone that has a machine outside warranty period. Humax should honour ALL Customer complaints (including mine if still a problem in future - bad design overall).

I have tried out a proceedure that may work (!) Take the case lid off by unscrewing the 5 case screws (4 hidden under rubber feet). Then disconnect hard drive leads. Carefully unscrew hard drive/mounting cage from main machine. Then unscrew hard drive from attached mounting cage plate. Then using a Torx T8 Screw driver bit VERY carefully undo the SATA Controller PCB from the Hard Drive. Place thsi carefully on a sheet on newspaper away from any static: i.e. a clean work surface. Using Surgical Cleaning sprit (obtained from most chemists for a few £) carefully throughly clean the metal contacts with a tiny peice of cloth, cotton bud or very tiny brush, so they gradually become very shinny bright metal again. I found a few were slightly brown in colour. This may be the cause. I am not 100% sure as yet. I tried teh proceedure last night & so far has worked. I will report back if I encounter probelm again. Before cleaning proceedure, I did all checks: reset factory defaults, retuned box, unplugged etc + also disconnecting Internet lead/reconnecting. If you have the confidence & your machine is past warranty date might be worth a try? A messaage to Humax though, if this is the problem, you should honour customer faults with the Humax Freetime boxes after 1 year warranty (in my case) or 2 years as per sales of goods act. Should be at least 6 years. I needed my recordings back & know if machine is returned recordings are lost. Has anyone else tried this fix? Was it a success? Be interested to hear from anyone.

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 8:27:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

jdlfreetime - 39 minutes ago  » 
    I have had the same problem a few times. My machine is now outside warranty period. Now thsi soltion may only help anyone that has a machine outside warranty period. Humax should honour ALL Customer complaints (including mine if still a problem in future - bad design overall).
    [..]
    A messaage to Humax though, if this is the problem, you should honour customer faults with the Humax Freetime boxes after 1 year warranty (in my case) or 2 years as per sales of goods act. Should be at least 6 years.

Good luck with the repair, hope it solves the problem for you.

On the question of Humax's responsibility - uner the Sale of Goods Act it's the retailer who's liable, not the manufacturer. Drawbacks:

1) The onus is on the customer to prove it's a defect, if this is disputed by the retailer. This may necessitate paying for an independent report (money refunded if case succeeds)

2) The retailer can choose whether to offer a repair, a replacement, or a partial refund. Only the ones with good reps, such as John Lewis or Richer Sounds, are likely to offer a replacement. With others, partial refund is the most likely, and may be too little to be worth the hassle.

3) Can be difficult to enforce if retailer is recalcitrant. Which could leave the customer seriously out-of-pocket and still without a resolution.

Under European law, it might be possible to require the manufacturer to extend warranty cover to two years. I've seen press reports claiming success with this.

Of course, if a box was bought from Humax Direct, Humax-as-retailer will be liable under SOGA, and Humax-as-manufacturer will be liable (possibly up to two years) under EU law.

As you say, loss of recordings is inevitable if the box is replaced. Might well be the case even if it's repaired.

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 9:34:13 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.