My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

HDR 1000s Keeps rebooting.

(343 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

Hi I am new to this forum so I hope that I am doing this right.

I have checked some of the other threads and was unable to find this exact problem, because my box does not freeze up first.

Over the past five days my HDR 1000s has rebooted itself three times. The first time was during the evening whilst recording a program, it just rebooted and would not resume record, I had to delete the part already recorded before it let me start again. The second time was late afternoon a couple of days later, then today around lunchtime. The first time I thought that it may of found new software and automaticly installed it, but when I checked I could see it had not.

I have had the box around two months and until now it has been faultless, but now I am wondering if there is a fault developing, with Christmas coming up I don't want find that I have to return it with a hard-drive full of unwatched programs

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 17:58:15 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

First thing to do is make a note of your recording schedule and then carry out a reset to factory defaults.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 18:23:25 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

grahamlthompson - 29 minutes ago  » 
    First thing to do is make a note of your recording schedule and then carry out a reset to factory defaults.

Hi and thanks for your quick reply.

I have no programs scheduled for recording. I tend to record single programs at a time because at the moment I only have a single lnb on my dish.

If I refresh to factory settings wont I lose all the programs I have stored? Sorry, but I am pretty new to all of this.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 18:59:10 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Teb5 - 4 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 29 minutes ago  » 

Hi and thanks for your quick reply.
    I have no programs scheduled for recording. I tend to record single programs at a time because at the moment I only have a single lnb on my dish.
    If I refresh to factory settings wont I lose all the programs I have stored? Sorry, but I am pretty new to all of this.

It won't affect your recordings. You may only have a single cable but both tuners are connected to it. There is no need to restrict yourself to one recording. You can record two (with some restrictions) and even watch some 3rd channels while recording two. Don't worry the box will tell you if you try and set two recordings that it cannot record.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 19:06:10 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

WoW! I had no idea that I could do that with a single cable, what are the restrictions? or should I ask that in another separate thread?

Ok, back to my problem. What do I do after refreshing my box? Do I have to then do something else or just wait and see if I get the same problem again?

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 19:38:31 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Teb5 - 1 hour ago  » 
    WoW! I had no idea that I could do that with a single cable, what are the restrictions? or should I ask that in another separate thread?
    Ok, back to my problem. What do I do after refreshing my box? Do I have to then do something else or just wait and see if I get the same problem again?

Just wait and see if it recurs if it does get it swapped.

Details about single cable working here.

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/what-can-i-record-and-watch-using-1-or-2-cables

This is for the Foxsat but the details are very similar with the newer box adding a few extra goodies. Unlike the Foxsat you can always time shift a third viewed channel and even record it from the time shift buffer after one of the two recordings has completed.

Note if and when you add the extra connection you will need to repeat the reset as the number of cables is detected during installation and the extra cable wont be detected automatically.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 20:57:44 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

Hmmmm, so if the refresh does not fix the problem then what you are saying is nothing else will? Looks like it could be pretty serious then, if you say I should then return it. I have just done a system refresh and will see how things go. The problem is if I am not actually watching it I will have no idea if it has done a sneaky reboot or not, because unlike others my box does not freeze up first. Will keep a close eye on it over the next few days and report back.

One other question. If I reformat the hard-drive does it also remove all the Humax software? If so how can I get a fresh copy and reinstall it?

Thanks very much for the multi record link, I will read it with great interest, as I had no idea that I could do that with a single cable

Thanks very much for all your help and advice, much appreciated.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 21:26:34 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

There is no software on the hard drive, it's all in NVRAM (Non Volatile Random Access Memory). That is why it's very simple to change the hard drive in a Humax PVR. Repassac and I have 2TB drives in our HDR1000S boxes. He was braver than I was and did the upgrade first

Reformatting will of course delete all your recordings, this is not the same as a factory reset.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 22:18:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

grahamlthompson - 17 minutes ago  » 
    There is no software on the hard drive, it's all in NVRAM (Non Volatile Random Access Memory). That is why it's very simple to change the hard drive in a Humax PVR. Repassac and I have 2TB drives in our HDR1000S boxes. He was braver than I was and did the upgrade first
    Reformatting will of course delete all your recordings, this is not the same as a factory reset.

Thanks for that, a very clear and easy to understand answer. 2TB hard-drive!!!! You have some serious storage there, I would hate to have an HD that size full up and then lose everything as a result of a problem that these boxes appear to keep having on a regular basis.

Well I am off to bed now,but thought that I would also remove the power lead first as an extra test. Will keep and eye on it and see if I get a repeat of the problem, either way I will let you know the results, good or bad.

| Tue 10 Dec 2013 22:45:58 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Teb5

Well it has been three days since I done the factory reset that you suggested and it has been working fine, although I have not been here a lot of the time to see if it had done a reboot, but today it decided to reboot itself again, no other problems, just rebooted itself and went back to the program I was watching. So are you saying that there is nothing else I can try and should return it to the store as a faulty unit?

| Fri 13 Dec 2013 15:43:14 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.