My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 2000T Aerial pass through

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

Just bought this 2000T from a PCWorld closing down sale. My previous aerial setup was Sony PVR->SonyPVR2->Sony Bravia TV. The 2 Sony's were plugged from scart outputs to the 2 TV scarts. (There was also a video recorder and an unused satellite receiver plugged in via the scart pass through's on the 2 Sony PVR's).

I have replaced the older Sony PVR with the Humax.

The aerial feed stops at the Humax when it is on standby. The book says this will happen if "Power Saving in Standby" is ON, but "Power Management" doesn't have any such option - just the "Setting automatic power down". I've set that and antenna power in the other menu OFF, but no difference.

It's running UKTFAC 1.00.07, Loader UKTFAC 1.02.

| Sun 26 Apr 2015 12:10:08 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

You need to update software to at least version 1.01.06, latest version, same page is 1.01.13

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product_releases.php?gid=442&pid=6

| Sun 26 Apr 2015 12:54:32 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

Thanks, Barry.

I had set the machine to do a couple of test recordings on the old firmware, so let that happen while I prepared the memory sticks.

The recordings happened, but both are listed as incomplete because of loss of power. Both programmes recorded fine in parallel on the Sony PVR on the same mains block, and nothing was touched on either machine.

Today I tried the updates. The update direct to 1.01.13 failed - the machine just powered up and powered down again. Not sure whether this was the Sandisk memory or too big an update jump. I've now updated to 1.10.06, and that seems to have gone OK, so I am now waiting for today's test recordings to finish.

I have to say that I find the machine a bit weird. Having the red led on for standby and recording seems bizarre, and it isn't clear in the manual whether fiddling with controls during recording results in warnings or a direct move to failure mode. The other thing is the time it takes to come up out of standby - longer than booting up my LinuxMint (non SSD) laptop.

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 11:32:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Billaboard - 27 minutes ago  » 
    I have to say that I find the machine a bit weird. Having the red led on for standby and recording seems bizarre,

There is a small difference in intensity but I and I suspect almost everybody else agrees with you.

and it isn't clear in the manual whether fiddling with controls during recording results in warnings or a direct move to failure mode.

What controls are you talking about? You should be able to do almost anything without causing a recording failure.

The other thing is the time it takes to come up out of standby - longer than booting up my LinuxMint (non SSD) laptop.

When you have turned off Power saving in standby it should boot much quicker.

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 12:03:58 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

and it isn't clear in the manual whether fiddling with controls during recording results in warnings or a direct move to failure mode.

What controls are you talking about? You should be able to do almost anything without causing a recording failure.

The other thing is the time it takes to come up out of standby - longer than booting up my LinuxMint (non SSD) laptop.

When you have turned off Power saving in standby it should boot much quicker.

Well, when I was trying to see whether another test recording had started, I tried things like the Media button and the standby button. About then, it stopped recording. I'm not sure whether this was just another recording failure or something I'd triggered.
    The PVR's I'm used to just show a "You can't do that" message on the screen if I try to turn them off during a scheduled record.

I measured start time today, after turning both Power standby things to "OFF". It took 38 seconds from hitting the standby button to something appearing on the screen. This is with it on 1.01.06 software. Is this normal?

Edit: Just checked the settings again and tested. Sony PVR up and ready to play a recorded programme in 10 seconds. Humax takes around 40 seconds to reach the same state.

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 16:52:20 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Billaboard - 3 hours ago  » 
    Edit: Just checked the settings again and tested. Sony PVR up and ready to play a recorded programme in 10 seconds. Humax takes around 40 seconds to reach the same state.

That doesn't sound right; which software version are you currently running?

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 20:35:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

I'm running 1.01.06 still, or was when I did those tests. I'm not near it now. It is set to do an OTA update sometime.

I do wonder whether this might be some very early version of the machine. It was odd that the Power Management standby options on the original 1.00.07 software didn't match what the manual that came with the machine said. It was odd that they produced a machine that with the software as supplied, where the RF didn't pass through. The machine was, as I said originally, bought from a PCWorld that was closing down and, if it works, the price was good.

It seems to be recording OK now.

If I have it sitting in standby, I hit the button and it sits there silently for most of the 40 seconds. Then there's the sound of the HD starting up and very soon the feed to the TV springs into life.
    On the Sony PVR's, I hear the HD grind up very soon after hitting the ON button.

| Mon 27 Apr 2015 22:19:24 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Billaboard - 10 hours ago  » 
    It seems to be recording OK now.
    If I have it sitting in standby, I hit the button and it sits there silently for most of the 40 seconds. Then there's the sound of the HD starting up and very soon the feed to the TV springs into life.
    On the Sony PVR's, I hear the HD grind up very soon after hitting the ON button.

Have you checked the sby power consumption of the Sony ?

Example Sky Box in Sby power consumption about 30W, boot is near instant. (It's not really in sby at all)

Humax HDR1000s, power consumption in sby about 0.5W, boot up about 40 seconds.

A PC is a good example, boot from hibernate mode is much faster than from a cold boot.

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 9:18:17 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

I haven't been able to check how the Sony is set up (it has 3 standby options), and haven't any simple means of measuring what the PVR's actually take.

I went to a different PCWorld branch and asked. The assistant said that the long period before the HD spins up is spent by the Humax checking for updated channels and other settings. I suppose it's conceivable.

I've spent another good few hours getting the networking going. It said it was all set up and it had picked up a sensible IP address, but then could see no network. A laptop on the same cable worked fine. It eventually came good after rebooting the router, but SWMBO has banned any more of "this ridiculous nonsense".

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 18:56:28 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Billaboard - 1 hour ago  » 
    I haven't been able to check how the Sony is set up (it has 3 standby options), and haven't any simple means of measuring what the PVR's actually take.
    I went to a different PCWorld branch and asked. The assistant said that the long period before the HD spins up is spent by the Humax checking for updated channels and other settings. I suppose it's conceivable.
    I've spent another good few hours getting the networking going. It said it was all set up and it had picked up a sensible IP address, but then could see no network. A laptop on the same cable worked fine. It eventually came good after rebooting the router, but SWMBO has banned any more of "this ridiculous nonsense".

Choose the option on the Sony that offers the lowest sby power. It's a EU power saving requirement for newer kit that the box should be capable of a sby power consumption of 0.5W and still be able to record.

| Tue 28 Apr 2015 20:37:32 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.