My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 2000T Aerial pass through

(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

Choose the option on the Sony that offers the lowest sby power. It's a EU power saving requirement for newer kit that the box should be capable of a sby power consumption of 0.5W and still be able to record.

Hmmmm. Oooh we mustn't upset the EU, must we.

More seriously, why would I want to change anything about an old Sony device that is working well just to save a tiny bit of power? There's an awful lot of nonsense about this sort of thing. Here the house thermostat is in the lounge, the TV based electronics is in the lounge, so for about 97% of the year here in the North, a little steady 30 watts probably holds the boiler off for the rest of the house for a decent time each day.

Many thanks for the replies, though. I now understand that the Humax does have a long start time, and so mine probably isn't faulty.

Everything else seems so far to be fine, although I'm still amazed that the original design seemed to have no aerial pass through before the software update and has an indicator that looks the same to say "OFF" or "Recording".

| Wed 29 Apr 2015 0:37:36 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Billaboard - 2 days ago  » 
    The aerial feed stops at the Humax when it is on standby.

Does the aerial feed still stop at the Humax when the Humax is on standby?
    I can't see any where that you have confirmed that the aerial feed is now working for you.

| Wed 29 Apr 2015 8:04:22 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Billaboard - 9 hours ago  » 

Choose the option on the Sony that offers the lowest sby power. It's a EU power saving requirement for newer kit that the box should be capable of a sby power consumption of 0.5W and still be able to record.

Hmmmm. Oooh we mustn't upset the EU, must we.

Seriously - There are reported to be 6 million Sky households. In In normal operation these units use a standby that still consumes about 30 watts and can cost the user up to £25 per unit per annum. That's a trival £150,000,000.

| Wed 29 Apr 2015 10:01:50 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

There are reported to be 6 million Sky households. In In normal operation these units use a standby that still consumes about 30 watts and can cost the user up to £25 per unit per annum. That's a trival £150,000,000.

OK, but those households benefit from 30watts of heat 24/7, and my point is that for most of the year in the UK that will be heat that won't be needed from some other source. If I wanted to be pedantic, I could argue that 30watts provided by a gas boiler that requires ventilation to work might actually be less cost-effective than electrical "waste" heat. But all this is way OT.

I should apologise for not reporting back about the pass-through aerial situation. Yes, it now works after the software update, but only when I have the Humax set to non power save. Also, it is only minor, but during the starting up period, there is a very small disruption to the pass-through signal. In view of this I've changed to an aerial splitter.

The automatic updating is a bit bizarre. I switch on and it says an update is available (from 1.01.06 to 1.01.13). I have said "Yes" twice now and it sits there with the led flashing red and blue alternately, then reverts to blue after ages. But it's still on 1.01.06. I then try witching off and on via the remote, but it still says the older version.

I can try again via usb, I suppose.

| Wed 29 Apr 2015 13:03:01 #14 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Sounds like you could do with a cheap passive cable splitter.

| Wed 29 Apr 2015 13:18:37 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

I had the disruption to signal problem with my 2000T also. I think it is a handshake issue as the feed goes live. Anyway I fitted a passive splitter and this solved the problem. Whilst it should update to the latest software version if you leave it connected to the Internet overnight, a lot of people have had more success downloading it onto a USB and doing it that way.

That's how I did mine BTW.

| Thu 7 May 2015 23:00:57 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billaboard

Just to report back as to where I am up to:

I did buy an aerial splitter and that cured the pass-through problem. Just for fun after the software updates and the setting to switch low-power standby off, I have put it back on the pass-through feed. In this mode, there are occasional small "blocky picture" glitches when, I think, the unit is switching from standby or to start recording, but I could live with that if I had to.

The thing I still don't like is the long time between hitting "ON" on the remote and the HD grinding up and the picture appearing. I do think this gives the impression of some internal housekeeping being done - maybe it is checking that the channels are all where they were yesterday or something - rather than the electronics actually having to spend that time coming out of the non-low-power standby mode.

Anyway, it's fully in use now and records well enough.

| Sun 10 May 2015 15:40:55 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Billaboard - 2 hours ago  » 
    The thing I still don't like is the long time between hitting "ON" on the remote and the HD grinding up and the picture appearing. I do think this gives the impression of some internal housekeeping being done - maybe it is checking that the channels are all where they were yesterday or something - rather than the electronics actually having to spend that time coming out of the non-low-power standby mode.

My whisper quiet 500GB HDR-2000T comes out of standby at a very predictable sub 4 seconds regardless of if whether it is an HD, SD or data channel that it switches on to, but I do have power saving in stand-by off.

| Sun 10 May 2015 18:03:11 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 

Billaboard - 2 hours ago  » 

My whisper quiet 500GB HDR-2000T comes out of standby at a very predictable sub 4 seconds regardless of if whether it is an HD, SD or data channel that it switches on to, but I do have power saving in stand-by off.

I have commented about noise in one of my other threads. Mine is nowhere near as quiet as my 1000s. Not sure how yours is so fast out of standby either. Power saving on 35secs power saving off 20secs?

| Sun 10 May 2015 19:58:32 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

I can't remember any particular noise with the first one I owned which was also a 500GB. With my current one the lack of noise was one of the first things I noticed. Very little heat, vibration, or noise. I also have a DTR-T2100 which is quiet but my HDR-2000T is even quieter than that!

My HDR-2000T is definitely going into some sort of standby and still achieves under 4 seconds start up. The reason I am confident that it is successfully going into some sort of standby is that if a cable with an integrated LED is plugged in to one of its USB ports the LED goes off after about 7 seconds when the HDR-2000T switched to stand-by (providing there are no recordings due to start in the next 40 minutes).

With my first HDR-2000T (in 2013) the start up time was just under 30 seconds. Wit my current HDR-2000T power saving in standby is off, the start-up time was also under 30 seconds when I first got it. I've just tried it again and its 35 seconds with power saving on! Export of recordings to an external HDD aren't as fast as when I first got it either.

| Sun 10 May 2015 21:30:52 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.