My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR-2000T HD channels breaking up....

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bpascua123

Hello All.

I have an issue with my HDR-2000T. I have a loft aerial with a 4 way amplifier in the loft which feeds 2 rooms in my house - fitted 4 years and working fine. In one room I have a Humax 2000T HDR and no issues at all. In the other room I also have a humax hdr 2000T but I have been getting really bad break ups and signal drops over the past weeks on BBC1 HD. I have swapped the Humax boxes and the issue persists. I get signal strength of 79 and quality of 100 in both rooms.

The room I have the issue with I get frequent black screens with "unable to receive because the signal is too weak" Looking on menu/settings/signal detection I see the quality moving between 78-79% I actually dont get any issues if you I watch the TV directly using the internal TV tuner. I am fairly sure when I monitor the signal I see drops right down to zero and then it comes back, which may explain the black screen and signal messages. I have swapped the two identical Humax boxes and the issue persists, so I dont think its a hardware issue.

If I am using the same aerial with the same amplifier/splitter as the other room then would that suggest its either the cable run from the amp to the wall socket downstairs, or the cable from the wall to the humax?

Is there a way of checking if I am tuned into the correct transmitter, I am supposed to be Hannington (showing Ch39, 618000KHz,8Mhz,32K,1/128(DVB-T2)

thanks for any advice.

Brian

| Mon 18 Nov 2019 22:03:13 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bpascua123

As an aside I was thinking about what had changed in my house. I realised that I had added a wireless access point in the loft where the aerial is - in fact about 3ft away from the signal booster. I switched this off and it hasnt made a difference to the signal strength/quality or the constant drops. I thought that might be the issue.....thinking about it surely that would impact anything going through the same booster/amplifier?

| Tue 19 Nov 2019 9:10:49 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bpascua123 - 15 hours ago  » 
    I have swapped the Humax boxes and the issue persists. I get signal strength of 79 and quality of 100 in both rooms.
    The room I have the issue with I get frequent black screens with "unable to receive because the signal is too weak" Looking on menu/settings/signal detection I see the quality moving between 78-79% I actually dont get any issues if you I watch the TV directly using the internal TV tuner. I am fairly sure when I monitor the signal I see drops right down to zero and then it comes back, which may explain the black screen and signal messages. I have swapped the two identical Humax boxes and the issue persists, so I dont think its a hardware issue.

That is an odd problem and you seem to have done the sensible things. One possibility you don't seem to have considered is the possibility of one channel on the amplifier developing a fault (not very likely). Perhaps change the cables at the amplifier end and see if the fault stays or moves.

If you want to check you are connected to the correct set of mutilkpex channels from Hannington then try reading the (recently updated) manual tuning FAQ https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/transmitters#post-2336

| Tue 19 Nov 2019 13:20:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bpascua123

I replaced the fly lead that connected my TV to the wall socket. I also checked I am using the hannington transmitter (and I am) I will have a go at swapping the cables on the amp tomorrow.

| Thu 21 Nov 2019 23:24:35 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bpascua123

I had a look at my amp today, its an antiference one with 8 x 7Db outputs and a single FULL 26Db. I swapped the connections so my troublesome setup had the FULL output. My Humax then shows as 100% signal and 100% quality.
    The problem I have is my other humax will only work on the FULL setting so I cant test this with my problem setup without impacting the other TV also. I was considering replacing the AMP with a Labgear LDA2061LR to see if this helps. For now I have moved the connection on the amp to another port - I'll monitor.

| Fri 22 Nov 2019 12:26:03 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bpascua123 - 4 days ago  » 
    I had a look at my amp today, its an antiference one with 8 x 7Db outputs and a single FULL 26Db. I swapped the connections so my troublesome setup had the FULL output. My Humax then shows as 100% signal and 100% quality.

You don't want a 100% signal strength; that is likely to lead to tuner overload. My advice is to aim for 80% signal strength.

The problem I have is my other humax will only work on the FULL setting so I cant test this with my problem setup without impacting the other TV also. I was considering replacing the AMP with a Labgear LDA2061LR to see if this helps. For now I have moved the connection on the amp to another port - I'll monitor.

Let us know how things work out.

| Tue 26 Nov 2019 19:40:08 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bpascua123

Conclusion. I had the repair guy come out today. He measured the signals from the aerial and also the points downstairs. He said there was an issue with signal quality. Anyway £240 later I have a new aerial on the roof which is giving out 97% strength and 100% quality. So all my issues have now gone away.

| Mon 2 Dec 2019 17:37:29 #7 |
  8. Trev

Trev

special member

Good result apart from the £240?

| Mon 2 Dec 2019 17:45:25 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

bpascua123 - 1 hour ago  » 
    He said there was an issue with signal quality. Anyway £240 later I have a new aerial on the roof which is giving out 97% strength and 100% quality. So all my issues have now gone away.

Just keep in mind that signal strength of 97% may be too high for the Humax; easily fixed IF you start to have problems by using an attenuator. Obviously if everything is working fine, no need to do anything.

| Mon 2 Dec 2019 18:50:25 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bpascua123

Hello.

All my HD channels are fine now and no breakup. But I have noticed some glitching on the non HD channels. Watching film4 for example (signal 91% and quality 100%) could I need an attenuator and what do they look like ?

Thanks

Brian

| Mon 9 Dec 2019 21:14:11 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.