My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 2000T Losing hard drive connection

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Galactic

For quite some time now I have found that if I power down my Humax by switching the power socked off (which I used to do every night) when it comes to switching on again nothing happens when I pressed the media button and I can't access my recordings.

After trying different things I found that if I press record to start recording the current programme then I can get back in again, though I don't think it always worked first time. I've got around this by not switching off at the socket overnight but it is a waste of energy leaving it on.

Any ideas on this one please?

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 10:52:08 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

In low power sby your box will use less than 0.5W of electricity. If you say it's in sby 16h every day for a year. That's 0.5 x 16 x 365 = 2920 Watt Hours or 2.92 kW/hours. Depending on your supply tariff that's about 30-40p. About 3p/month. Not really worth the potential hard disk problems you may create. When you turn the box off it takes a while to enter full low power sby. Some Humax boxes require to wake up in the night to carry out housekeeping tasks, like epg and software updates. Not having a 2000T not sure if this box relies on a overnight wakeup.

Only filling an electric kettle with the water you need can save much more. Using a 3kW kettle in an experiment I calculated boiling 5 cups of water compared to just 2, 10 times/day would cost over £80.00/year extra.

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 11:08:24 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Galactic

I didn't realise it used so little. We're constantly told that leaving things on standby consumes quite a bit of power and shouldn't do it but I feel happy to leave it on now, especially as it might cause problems with the hard disk. It's still a puzzle though as to why it started doing that as it didn't for the first couple of months.

Thank you.

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 11:56:36 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Yes I have the same problem with my 2000T, after a power cut or if I have to turn it off at the plug for some reason. I find if you turn it off at the wall again for about 10 seconds then turn it back on again it is back to normal again.

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 13:49:17 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bill63 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Yes I have the same problem with my 2000T, after a power cut or if I have to turn it off at the plug for some reason. I find if you turn it off at the wall again for about 10 seconds then turn it back on again it is back to normal again.

That's quite worrying. Does this mean the box stops recording it's schedule till you power cycle it a second time ?

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 13:56:08 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Yes that's interesting, I always check my 2000T when there as been a power cut or I have had to remove the plug. Only my wife also have an old Top up TV box (Bush) and funny enough that intends to have the same problem, no library after a a cut in power. So it is now habit to check them all when the power is back on. But I do know that if the power is cut during recording, it do not continue with that recording when the power is back, but continues with the next one if it starts after the power is back on.

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 14:09:02 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

bill63 - 1 minute ago  » 
    Yes that's interesting, I always check my 2000T when there as been a power cut or I have had to remove the plug. Only my wife also have an old Top up TV box (Bush) and funny enough that intends to have the same problem, no library after a a cut in power. So it is now habit to check them all when the power is back on. But I do know that if the power is cut during recording, it do not continue with that recording when the power is is back, but continues with the next one if it starts after the power is back on.

Simple way to find out. Set a recording in say an hours time. Make sure nothing is recording put the box in sby, wait 15 mins to ensure in full sby. Turn off power for at least 2 minutes. Restore power. Interested to know if the recording is actually made.

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 14:13:02 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

That's a good idea I have not tried that. I will try that the next time it happens. Only trouble is, it only happens to my 2000T every now and again and not every time the power is cut. But I do know my wife's old Bush Top up TV box will not record anything until the library is restored on hers, but saying that it only happens every now and again with hers to. BUT I do record every day on my 2000T, and the next time it does not load the media library I will leave it see if it does record.

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 14:36:43 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Galactic

Thanks for the tip Bill63. I'll remember what you've said about turning it off at the wall for 10 seconds if I have to unplug it, but otherwise I'll carry on leaving it in sby all the time as you do.

| Tue 1 Dec 2015 16:51:15 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.