My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR 2000T re-booting

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pchristy

After the last set of frequency changes a couple of months back, I've been getting lots of failed recordings on the HD channels (Beacon Hill transmitter, South Devon). I'm getting good signal strength, and excellent S/N ratio (62.8 dBuV and 36.25dB respectively).

The TV (Panasonic) has no issues with the HD channels.

In an attempt to fix the problem - and clutching at straws - I've done away with the loop-through feed to the TV, and used a cable splitter instead (4dB loss to each device). I've also re-instated the low-power stand-by, as I no longer need the loop-through.

This seems to have improved the failed recordings issue somewhat, but now, every time I switch the Humax on, it reboots!

I've tried disconnecting it from the mains for an hour to make sure it was thoroughly "cold", and then turned it back on, but it hasn't helped. Switching on from standby causes a reboot, which is frustratingly time consuming!

Any ideas, anyone?

--
    Pete

| Sun 2 Jun 2019 12:00:22 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pchristy - 40 minutes ago  » 
    After the last set of frequency changes a couple of months back, I've been getting lots of failed recordings on the HD channels (Beacon Hill transmitter, South Devon). I'm getting good signal strength, and excellent S/N ratio (62.8 dBuV and 36.25dB respectively).

Please could you quote the values as reported by the Humax when tuned to an HD channel?

| Sun 2 Jun 2019 12:42:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pchristy

If you are referring to the signal strength and quality, they are 95% and 100% respectively.

A lot of other people in the area have been reporting similar problems, so it may be a fault at the transmission end, but so far there is no explanation from the service provider, and it seems not all sets are affected. Prior to the frequency change, the HD channels were rock solid.

--
    Pete

| Sun 2 Jun 2019 23:33:12 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pchristy - 10 hours ago  » 
    If you are referring to the signal strength and quality, they are 95% and 100% respectively.

In my experience a signal strength of 95% may be too high for the Humax tuners. You might consider adding a variable attenuator to the aerial cabling and reducing the reported signal strength to say 80% and see if that helps.

| Mon 3 Jun 2019 10:19:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pchristy

We have a distribution amp in the attic with variable gain. I've tried it at both minimum and maximum, and it makes no difference. I can't remember what the reported signal strength was at minimum, but I *think* it was around 80%.

It may be a stray reflection from something moving along the hilltop between us and the transmitter. There is a main road up there, and once or twice I've observed the received signal strength drop to zero for a moment. But it doesn't seem to affect the SD channels!

And it still reboots every time I bring it out of standby - unless its already recording! Weird!

--
    Pete

| Mon 3 Jun 2019 14:33:46 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

Why not go back to using the loop-through setting to stop the reboots? At least as a temporary measure.
    You say that recordings on HD channels are failing. If I understand it some of the HD channels have closed down (see https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges/beacon-hill ). You don't say what type of failed recordings you are getting. Nothing recording? Recording failed - lack of signal? Unable to track? Perhaps you could clarify.

| Mon 3 Jun 2019 15:31:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

pchristy

Yes, I might go back to activating the loop through, though having the low-power standby used to work OK. I only went to the loop through when we moved here at first because we had a very poor signal initially. I had a new aerial and distribution amp fitted, and that cured the weak signal problem!

The failed recordings are mostly there, but get flagged up because there are "glitches" in them. Sometimes its just a brief burst of digital noise, but some times several seconds are missing. Very annoying when its a critical piece of dialogue or somesuch.

I've never seen it on "live" tv. Its only on recordings, which implies something is upsetting the Humax that the TV ignores!

Somewhere I've got a TVI filter. I'm not sure where it is since we moved house a couple of years back, but I won't have thrown it out. If I can find it, I'll try fitting that in the feed to the Humax.

--
    Pete

| Mon 3 Jun 2019 17:03:29 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

sinclairtv

My one has been comimg on in maintenance mode itself. I select option 1 and it goes to previous software. Software just now is 3.6.62 which is older and should be 3.6.86. Done it 3 times sofar.

| Mon 3 Jun 2019 22:12:10 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

pchristy

Well, it looks like I might have cracked the failed recording issue. I found the TVI filter and fitted it into the feed to the Humax. I also reduced the gain on the distribution amp to minimum, though I have tried this previously without success.

Last night it recorded two programs in high definition without issue! This is the first time its managed this since the channel change-over.

Its too early to say if this is a permanent fix, but its certainly looking hopeful.

I've activated the loop through again - or rather turned off the low power standby - which has stopped it rebooting on power up. But I feel that this is merely by-passing the problem rather than fixing it.

It will do for the moment, anyway. And I don't suppose we will see anymore firmware updates.....

--
    Pete

| Tue 4 Jun 2019 15:44:44 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I've had problems with either the COM7 or COM8 mux (I forget which one, it has forces tv on it). Often recordings are flagged as failed and there are one or two "glitches" in them. In fact, these are 1-2 second drop outs and, in my case, are visible when watching live (You might not notice them as the picture just stops and sometimes the sound continues). I put a filter in the aerial lead and the problem goes away.

| Wed 5 Jun 2019 15:08:47 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.