My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

HDR fault help please - overheating?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

daveb4

Hi
    Had a few problems over last week or so (Foxsat HDR). Lost all signal and quality, played with the wires and got to start up again then major crash couple of days later and got a man out!! Started first time but decided to change the LNB anyway. Next day cut out again, man back and replaced LNB (apparently a dodgy batch!?) worked and now cut out again. My issue though is it seems to start after it has been off for 2 hours and then works for about an hour. Can the system overheat? I did have a sound bar box sat on the HDR box which would have also put out extra heat. Every time I turn the HDR off for some time (not standby) and then start it again it works for about an hour or so.
    Any help appreciated

| Wed 9 Jul 2014 19:00:29 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Suggest you check all connections especially ones joining the LNB cables to your input - poor connections can behave as you describe. It is necessary to create an electrical circuit with the core and the screening which is the return earth.

| Wed 9 Jul 2014 19:06:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

daveb4

Thanks for your swift reply. The wires have been unplugged and plugged 4/5 times over the last week and the technician did check the input at both ends? I think that's what he said. Based on this therefore could it still be this? Is it worth me cutting coating of the wires back a bit more to provide a longer metal link? Thanks

| Wed 9 Jul 2014 20:39:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I think you've answered your own question. Move the soundbar temporarily, allow a lot of air flow all around the HDR, if necessary raise it on something like domino blocks, same goes for the soundbar, if it's in a cabinet leave the door open, just make sure there's a clear air flow all around the HDR.
    Personally, I'm a bit OTT with these things, if something is hot to the touch then it needs attention, some of my equipment is stood on its end with the power supply at the top to allow better cooling. I don't seem to suffer the failures that other people report and this I believe is down to ensuring proper air flow and also shutting down and waiting for whatever it is to shut down properly before pulling a plug,

p.s. I'd leave the plugs/wires for now, if you've had somebody around that knows what they're doing then leave the connections well alone for now and follow your initial instinct of overheating

| Wed 9 Jul 2014 21:04:31 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I have a centre channel speaker on my Foxsat-hdr, it's been there since 2008. Never had an issue. The ventilation ports are at the rear. It's possible the fan isn't working. The box will get to it's highest temperature when the cpu is working hard (like recording two HD programmes and replaying a third).

Assuming the F connectors are the screw on type are they really tight on the coax (hard to unscrew) they should be if they are the correct size for the coax cable.

| Wed 9 Jul 2014 21:32:31 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

daveb4

Is the fan easily fixable if I open the box up and this is correct? I can check this evening.

| Thu 10 Jul 2014 7:14:59 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Yes the fan is mounted in the hard disk carrier. But it doesn't run all the time, it runs when it's needed.

| Thu 10 Jul 2014 9:12:11 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.