My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDR-FOX-T2 cant find BBC-HD channels

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stumaster

I am seeking some advice with issues i am having with my grandmothers HDR FOX T2.

Recently the auto-tuning sequence has not been detecting most BBC HD channels and some non-HD channels now not being able to viewed (no signal). Also auto tunning can vary somewhat in its results

Manually scanning the frequency range - for the BBC HD channels (waltham transmitter (58-DVBT2) shows no signal strength.
    Manual tunning can also put channels in weird orders (600 to 700's)

I intitially thought it was a dodgy aerial cable as poking the cable at back of the box resulted in pixelation - i has replaced the connector with no difference. Pixelation is gone though.

I am planning to replace the extension cable used as well but i am wondering if anybody has any ideas what this issue might be? as i am starting to supect one of the tuners is starting to fail.

Interestingly the Freeview tuner built into the TV which gets its signal through the FOX has no trouble with tunning.

Thanks in advance

| Thu 15 Aug 2019 18:14:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The HDR-FOX-T2 has sensitive tuners that can hang on to a signal when it's very weak. The downside is that too strong a signal can drive the signal level so high that the tuner front end is overloaded resulting in distortion.

You may have amplification in your setup that was needed before DSO.

Best approach is to remove any amplification you may have,

Alternatively just try a simple plug in attenuator to see if it can sort it out.

If it does then the attenuator will likely sort it out.

Correctly done manual tuning cannot produce the effect you see (You need to delete all radio and TV channels you currently have). If you don't the manual tune simply adds the correct channels to the ones you currently have stored. This creates the duplicates you are trying to eliminate.

First check your aerial actually points to your best transmitter.

| Thu 15 Aug 2019 19:04:40 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

stumaster

Thank for getting back to me.

Just to clarify - I no longer have any pixelation issues after replacing the connector but i am not sure how a signal attenuator will resolve not picking up a potion of the HD channels and some non-hd channels.

I will try clearing all the channels before manually retuning though.

Are you saying if the signal strength is too high it will essentially overload the tuner resulting not being able to detect these channels?

Removing any amplification is going to be extremely awkward as there is a aerial booster in the roof which bypassing could be difficult.

I should also mention this box has been working great for many years and this issue is only a recent occurance.

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 8:40:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

stumaster - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thank for getting back to me.
    Just to clarify - I no longer have any pixelation issues after replacing the connector but i am not sure how a signal attenuator will resolve not picking up a potion of the HD channels and some non-hd channels.
    I will try clearing all the channels before manually retuning though.
    Are you saying if the signal strength is too high it will essentially overload the tuner resulting not being able to detect these channels?
    Removing any amplification is going to be extremely awkward as there is a aerial booster in the roof which bypassing could be difficult.
    I should also mention this box has been working great for many years and this issue is only a recent occurance.

There are a number of reasons the signal strength might change.

Your transmitter has changed the frequency used for it's digital mux. Depending on the aerial you have this may have increased or reduced the signal you get.

Someone may be building a building between you and the transmitter and is using a large crane.

Some years ago I had similar issues, it turned out be a large crane 8mls away in the Longbridge car plant site.

Put your postcode in here and select the detailed view option.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/about_the_coverage_checker

Fitting a aerial splitter before the box and feeding the box and TV seperately will reduce the signal level by approx 4dB and you can turn on power saving in sby as you will no longer need to feed the TV through the HDR-FOX-T2.

I need a attenuator on my HDR-FOX-T2 despite it being fed from a loft aerial and being 30mls or so from the Lark Stoke relay transmitter.

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 11:19:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

stumaster

Thanks - i will give an attenuator a try.

Puzzling how the freeview built into the TV has no issues yet shares the same infrastructure.

I would just tell her to use that but i need to keep things simple.

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 17:57:33 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

stumaster - 1 day ago  » 
    I am seeking some advice with issues i am having with my grandmothers HDR FOX T2.
    Recently the auto-tuning sequence has not been detecting most BBC HD channels and some non-HD channels now not being able to viewed (no signal). Also auto tunning can vary somewhat in its results

Please tell us the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax when tuned to the SD version of BBC One (Menu button>Settings>System>Signal detection)? Cam you give some examples of the non-HD channels that are not available?

| Fri 16 Aug 2019 18:44:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

stumaster

Replacing the extension cable seems to of resolved the issue.

Thanks for your help.

| Mon 19 Aug 2019 13:01:11 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.