My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDR FOX T2. Freeview/Youview? Web setup needed?

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

I am looking to replace my Humax PVR-9300T. It still works perfectly fine most of the time, but has the age old problem of skipping during playback of some recordings.

I am happy just using Freeview channels and don’t need internet based programs or catch up services.

So far I have tried both Humax FVP-4000T and Humax FVP-5000T, and found both of them to be very slow and glitchy. Also trying to perform any function is quite long winded, requiring about three button presses to get where you want to go, when one would suffice. I even tried a BT Youview Box but found that without an internet connection it is not possible to even do the initial set up. After the set up it did work flawlessly for a couple of days though, but then it started getting glitchy and went down hill from there.

IMHO, none of the afore mentioned boxes are anywhere near as good or reliable as my trusty old 9300T (once was). Yes, they can receive internet channels, but other than that, to me they are just a huge faff.

I have been doing some digging and have concluded that the Humax HDR Fox T2 is the daddy of all the older Humax boxes and is probably the closest thing I am ever going to get to a 9300T.
    Before I do buy one, I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of concerns I have.

1. Does it require an internet connection to set it up or will it work straight off with just an aerial? The reason I ask this is because I have limited data mobile broadband and also do not want to rely on internet connections if I ever need to do a factory reset in the future.
    2. I have seen Youtube videos of it being set up with just an aerial, but then I saw one one sold on Ebay ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-HDR-FOX-T2-500GB-Freeview-HD-Digital-TV-Recorder-/225676974382?epid=110846012&hash=item348b65592e%3Ag%3AhdoAAOSwJAhktS27&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4GiwV2RnMSDWOEuC%2B5ZQV0vtY6NwxLg3iuum%2Fh41oCH7wAELF82v2XqLwWPdXhhOa3A%2B%2FIwyYAz%2Bxa3%2BYDg8TYGTPTohCk5Aj6iOKiWT640kM3BLiEw4yZHQ3090axaiW5hC5mKGvU4NLntwAesXNV7gf%2BWDaJMqT7GwbX517eOYrwHwpMBKKNWPAcbNBKhaqeyZm7lPBhGzA0DT%2Fvg7Xa%2FcWnSfxVx5Pm2XQgBF0l6teT1prDKNKC3ywHn0p8dLUyspIcyYCUmDY2%2B%2BSL8HCMzYaCIO3ujPXMsLE8tZXfGr%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4Ta4rXCYg&nma=true&si=lHUlPsrvtyjE2Bfkg%252Fv6b0Y%252Ffj8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 )and noticed one of the photos in the listing shows the setup screen which looks suspiciously like the Youview set up, requiring ethernet cable. I initially thought the Fox T2 was just Freeview, is there also a Youview version?
    3. Like all Humax machines, I am fully aware they can develop faults/glitches/bugs etc. What particular glitches is the Fox T2 prone to?

Oh, and before I go, I have a tip for anyone thinking of buying a Humax (or anything else for that matter) off Ebay and sees one they like described as ‘Opened-Never Used’, this usually translates as ‘I’ve been using it for the last 5 years but I kept the box’.

| Sun 20 Aug 2023 15:53:32 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ford01 - 4 mins ago  » 
    1. Does it require an internet connection to set it up or will it work straight off with just an aerial? The reason I ask this is because I have limited data mobile broadband and also do not want to rely on internet connections if I ever need to do a factory reset in the future.

It does not need an internet connection for setup.

3. Like all Humax machines, I am fully aware they can develop faults/glitches/bugs etc. What particular glitches is the Fox T2 prone to?

The only issue that really bothered me was that the subtitles get hopelessly out of synch. There is also the problem that the hardware is getting old and faults do develop; solutions are available for some of the commoner ones if you can use a soldering iron. With luck you can get hold of a decent box that hasn't been heavily used and will give you several years of good service.

There is also custom firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 that works alongside the standard firmware to provide additional features.

| Sun 20 Aug 2023 16:07:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

Thanks for the super quick reply.

Regarding the Ebay link, is that setup screen Youview or Freeview? Setup doesn’t look like that in the old Youtube video I have seen ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4CIvGr59G0 )

| Sun 20 Aug 2023 16:19:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ford01 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Regarding the Ebay link, is that setup screen Youview or Freeview?

To be honest, it is a long time since I have setup an HDR-FOX T2 and I simply can't remember. I used one for ten years but as my hearing is deteriorating as I get old, I needed subtitles that worked. I am currently using a Humax Aura but that doesn't fit your requirements as it does lose some functionality without an Internet connection and whilst it is very responsive it does have more bugs than the HDR-FOX T2 due to Humax terminating software development too early (in my opinion).

| Sun 20 Aug 2023 18:10:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

ford01 - 4 hours ago  » 

It looks like a Youview DTR-T1000 with the front panel swapped with one from a HDR-FOX T2.

The message displayed on the front is a Youview message - ("Please wait").
    The loader version displayed - a7.76 - is for the Youview DTR-T1000.
    As you spotted the setup screen is for a Youview box.

ford01 - 5 hours ago  » 
    2. I have seen Youtube videos of it being set up with just an aerial, but then I saw one one sold on Ebay ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humax-HDR-FOX-T2-500GB-Freeview-HD-Digital-TV-Recorder-/225676974382 )and noticed one of the photos in the listing shows the setup screen which looks suspiciously like the Youview set up, requiring ethernet cable. I initially thought the Fox T2 was just Freeview, is there also a Youview version?

The HDR-FOX T2 is just freeview.
    When youview appeared to be struggling with what was expected to be the first manufacturers for Youview, Humax stepped in and produced the DTR-T1000 which uses some of the same components of the HDR-FOXT2, (including the shell and the front panel electronics), but is a different box.

Edit:
    On the ebay listing I now notice that it states "updated to A7.76”.
    That makes it sound as though it a HDR-FOX T2 but someone has manage to get hold of the non-public Youview loader software and forced it on the box. It would also account for why the photos don't show it actually working, and also would explain why the photo of the front shows "Please wait". Although "Please wait" is shown for a few seconds at start up on the Youview DTR-T1000, it also gets stuck on that when the box is bricked.

"

| Sun 20 Aug 2023 21:11:58 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

Thanks for the detailed informative reply.

That Humax on Ebay did receive positive feedback. ‘Arrived well packed and on time’. No mention of the buyer having actually used it though. Perhaps their feedback was a little premature.

Anyway, I’m a bit hesitant now about buying one off Ebay. I wouldn’t know for sure if I was buying a HDR-FOX-T2 with Youview forced on to it or actually a DTR-T1000 in disguise. I really want to avoid Youview.

I often see HD-FOX-T2 machines (the version without a recording facility and no hard drive) being listed on Ebay as ‘HDR-FOX-T2 500GB Recorder’. They don’t even look the same. There is actually one listed on Ebay right now ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325751130956?epid=110846012&hash=item4bd847cb4c:g:55MAAOSwAZpkxnw5&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Cxz0IioEmSchihzMTyqxdXp3IZ0QPhhub7j50ouYOhiZBNoM3g%2BWVTTmbWzQe8cua8bUvee8yEuxfTeclXnJ2dOChpu%2BadJsxLmyxJADIbP2z4MsRT4LszwLhw%2B1YbkrvUQPZUBTCji0NJCohtRdobzVccWXE3qHjxH1aYf%2BgDTZQey8EntXmTFZS%2F3TO8%2F%2FRO99JvPOrBK1wlW0dSTnNPlv4Qtj53N0%2Bc5LFhecANTCCpwmB0DtjeC9n%2BF6qynjGL%2F8Wkq8eF2oSkr4v%2FgDKacA%2BED5APO6nA2FEftrX%2FM%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5CbwNLCYg )

| Mon 21 Aug 2023 0:05:19 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

ford01 - 8 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the detailed informative reply.
    That Humax on Ebay did receive positive feedback. ‘Arrived well packed and on time’. No mention of the buyer having actually used it though. Perhaps their feedback was a little premature.
    Anyway, I’m a bit hesitant now about buying one off Ebay. I wouldn’t know for sure if I was buying a HDR-FOX-T2 with Youview forced on to it or actually a DTR-T1000 in disguise. I really want to avoid Youview.

I think that sale was particularly unique.

ford01 - 8 hours ago  » 
    I often see HD-FOX-T2 machines (the version without a recording facility and no hard drive) being listed on Ebay as ‘HDR-FOX-T2 500GB Recorder’. They don’t even look the same. There is actually one listed on Ebay right now ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325751130956)

I was looking for a photo of the back of an HDR_FOX T2 from one of the last batches of HDR-FOX T2, yesterday and came across the HD-FOX T2 you quote and a couple of others.
    The seller may not realise what they have rather than be deliberately dishonest.

Some of the real HDR-FOX T2 items also have a non-ideal remote. E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255547655863
    That has the remote from an HDR-18000T which will work the major functions but when used with an HDR-fOX T2 there will be no ability to pause or use book marks.

And this following example, you will recognise the remote, as it's from the PVR-93000T series. That remote won't even turn on the HDR-FOX T2.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225319595275

I've bought a few used HDR_FOX T2 off ebay, and even when it is the correct remote they are often at least partially worn out and may need replacing unless it is for only very occasional use.

I think there are probably many still good HDR-FOX T2 second hand purchases available, but unfortunately it can be difficult to tell until it's actually in your possession.

| Mon 21 Aug 2023 9:16:35 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ford01 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Anyway, I’m a bit hesitant now about buying one off Ebay. I wouldn’t know for sure if I was buying a HDR-FOX-T2 with Youview forced on to it or actually a DTR-T1000 in disguise.

I think the chance of you finding another HDR-FOX T2 with Youview software are vanishingly small; I haven't heard of one before. Have a look on Facebook marketplace, there are often HDR-FOX T2 for sale locally.

| Mon 21 Aug 2023 10:22:07 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

Thanks all.

Unfortunately, not many of them come up for sale locally, so my only real option is to buy off Ebay.

I appreciate that a lot of the time the ones listed on Ebay are wrongly described due to ignorance, with the seller having little or no knowledge of the item they are selling. As far as some sellers are concerned, they think that if it powers on, then it is deemed to be fully tested and in working order.

Another niggle I have is about ones described as fully tested and working, but having no remote control. Annoyingly, some of these sellers then also have the remote listed separately.

Anyway, I will keep trawling Ebay for a suitable T2. (I actually missed one that went cheap today)

Regarding the remote control. New ones are cheap and readily available, but if I were to buy a T2 without a remote, would the remote from my 9300T perform any functions on the T2 just to allow me to test the machine. I don’t want to buy a recorder and find that when I buy a new remote control for it, the machine does not work after all.

| Mon 21 Aug 2023 16:15:54 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Luke - 2 days ago  » 

ford01 - 4 hours ago  » 

It looks like a Youview DTR-T1000 with the front panel swapped with one from a HDR-FOX T2.
    The message displayed on the front is a Youview message - ("Please wait").
    The loader version displayed - a7.76 - is for the Youview DTR-T1000.
    As you spotted the setup screen is for a Youview box.

Also there are 2 obvious version of the HDR-FOX T2. Most of them had the layout on the back where the two RF connectors were horizontal to each other. The last few batches had these arranged vertically. The first youview boxes also had the RF connectors arranged vertically. There is an easy way to tell the difference by lookingt0o the left of the RF connectors. Most DTR-T1000 had a label stating that it was a DTR-T1000, but all the HDR-FOX T2 regardless of revision had have a great big Common Interface port covered with a plastic plug to stop the dust getting in.
    That is a youview box and never has been a freeview HDR-FOX T2. The reason could have been to that the original youview branded panel as damaged and then an HDR-FOX T2 front panel was used to replace.

Also the ebay description states that “updated to A7.76” but the loader for the DTR-T1000 has never been available for mere mortals to update. I suspect that the seller tested this and included connecting it to the internet and that when it updated itself the seller presumed that a7.76 was the software version as that would have been the first thing he/she saw when it rebooted as part of the update.

Changing the item being sold slightly, the following's description made me laugh:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186034779090

"Excellent used condition with little signs of wear, all parts, original packaging, and in full working order, see photos of the exact item you’ll receive."
    The photos show that it is massing part of the ANTENNA IN.

There was one previously for sale on ebay with a similar ANTENNA IN damage which the seller stated that they were selling cheaply as faulty because of that, but was reportedly otherwise fully working.

| Wed 23 Aug 2023 16:10:35 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.