My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HDR FOX T2 Front LCD display panel not working

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

I’ve just bought a Humax HDR Fox T2 very cheap. I have given it a quick try and it seems to be working / playing / recording.
    Only trouble is, the front LCD display panel is completely blank with no sign of any life, even when viewed in complete darkness.
    I removed the front panel to expose the bare LCD display and reconnected the wiring harness, but still see nothing when it is switched on.
    The LCD still has the red filter on it, but I very much doubt removing this would make any difference. Could the LCD itself be faulty, and if so, is there an easy fix? It’s not a massive deal not having the display, but it would be nice if I could bring it back to life.

| Thu 23 May 2024 18:16:03 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Dim displays seem to be a common problem with the FOX-T2, I have 2 in service and both are almost unreadable. Fortunately I don't need to read them, since anything I need can be found 'on screen'.

It's a shame Humax didn't use the same display as in the FOXSAT HDR which after years of use is still bright.

| Thu 23 May 2024 18:36:39 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

I have seen posts about the dim displays, but I haven’t come across any mention of a completely dead display.
    So I’m wondering if it’s a problem with the LCD itself or is something else further down the circuit causing it not to display.

| Thu 23 May 2024 19:24:34 #3 |
  4. Fixdit

Fixdit

special member

I think it may be a Vacuum fluorescent display, in which case the heater supply (cathode) voltage drops usually caused by a faulty capacitor.
    Sorry cannot help any further. You Tube has some general repair videos.

| Fri 24 May 2024 8:47:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

The only video on YouTube I can find concerning the display, is the one which uses the old trick of removing the red filter from the LCD panel to make it appear brighter. I can’t seem to find anything about repairing it.

I do already have another fully functioning Fox T2 which I mainly use. I might swap the display over one day and see if that narrows down the fault. In the meantime though, this latest one will come in very handy if my old one packs in.

On a side note, when I say my old one is fully functioning, well that’s not strictly true. It sometimes wont record a scheduled program, which is very annoying especially when it failed to record the last episode of a drama I had been recording. I suspect this is just one of the many quirks of the Fox T2 we just have to learn to live with.

I was using a 9300T, but got fed up of some recordings skipping during playback. If I use the T2 and 9300 to record in unison, there is a sporting chance that one of them will have recorded the scheduled programs.

One thing I’ve learnt on the forum is that there is no such thing as a 100% reliable PVR, no matter how new or expensive they are.

| Fri 24 May 2024 18:57:22 #5 |
  6. Fixdit

Fixdit

special member

Your Humax has a Vacuum Flourescent Display. The you tube videos can be found by searching for...
    Vacuum Fluorescent Display Repair
    Although they dont specificaly mention Humax PVR's the outlines are the same.

As you say swopping boards will narrow down the search to the main board or Display board.

I have an Aura, T2 and the most reliable of the lot my Foxsat HDR .

| Sat 25 May 2024 9:42:43 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ford01

Thanks. I will check out those YouTube videos

I do actually possess a Foxsat HDR, but have never been able to try it out properly because I only have a TV aerial, and not a satellite dish.

| Sat 25 May 2024 17:56:25 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.