My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

hdr - pc connect without internet

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

Hi , and many thanks for your updates and work on the HDR etc.

I have an old HDR and have installed the upgrades you have provided.
    the screen shows the update is installed.

I still cannot access the hdr from windows, running XP64
    I have no internet connection which seems to be a problem. I can ping the HDR but cannot get a network connection, either with the browser or the network tools.

Is there a way of doing so without an internet connection, and if so how do I do it, or if yo know of a resource with instructions would you be so kind as to guide me to it.

Many thanks Bill Hooks.

| Mon 17 Jun 2013 15:49:41 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Bill,

Not having the Internet won't stop you accessing the HDR on your own LAN.

From the information, it sounds like the custom software *isn't* actually installed.

When you say 'the screen shows the update is installed', what do you mean by this ?

When you boot it up from cold, do you get the custom firmware message on the HDR's own display panel ?

After you ping the HDR, type 'arp -a' in the command line and let us know what physical address is reported.

Dino

| Mon 17 Jun 2013 18:11:57 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Afaik without internet access the OP will find it hard to install and update the various packages. After the basic re-flash the PC downloads and installs the full version from the internet repository. Updates are internet delivered.

| Mon 17 Jun 2013 20:15:29 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

OK Thanks gents.

The Firmware update message shows in the HDR window on boot up.
    FW4.8 etc.

Pinging the set IP gives a return contact of about 0.2ms.

I will try the hardware ping later and report back on Monday
    or sooner if I can get online somewhere.

| Fri 21 Jun 2013 12:41:26 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is possible to download the packages from http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/ to USB from a location which does have access and then apply them. However I am not sure of the sequence required.

You should have access on your LAN via http://ipaddress.
    The Foxsat will not appear in your network until after samba is installed.

Try the following on a USB stick. The packages (right click on the links and use 'save as')

busybox 1.18.4-1
    epg 1.5
    hmt 2.2
    jim-tcl 0.7.1-1
    samba 2.2.12-1
    service-manager 2.0
    sysclock 1.1
    telnet 1.0
    twonky4 4.4.18
    webif 2.75
    webif-docs 1.01
    channel-icons 1.06

The dependencies are known in the package files - so I would try inserting a USB stick and waiting until activity is complete, remove the stick and reinsert after 10 secs or so. Applied packages are deleted from the stick.

raydon or Adrian could you comment on the sequence please.

| Fri 21 Jun 2013 14:17:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

Packs have been loaded on stick and so I believe installed. No way to check as no pc connectivity.

Log from pings attached: No arp found.

Network info:

Physical Address: 30-85-A9-49-44-C5
    IP Address: 169.254.60.57
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway:
    DNS Server:
    WINS Server:

Attachments

1. hardware_ping.pdf (40 KB, 11 downloads) 10 years old
    | Mon 24 Jun 2013 12:20:22 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Bill,

Is 169.254.60.57 your PC ? If so it is pinging itself. You need to work out what the IP address is of the HDR from the menu.

Use 'menu', then down to 'system' and across to 'network'

There should be an IP address. Note it and ping it from a device on the same network.

If the HDR is not on a LAN don't bother with the custom firmware. It doesn't have to be on the Internet, but it does have to be on a LAN in order to get any benefit from it.

Dino

| Mon 24 Jun 2013 18:24:20 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Bill,

looking at your attachment your PC is 169.254.60.57

Your PC and HDR need to be network connected together; either via a network hub/switch or router or a cross-over cable.

If you don't have a network hub or a cross-over cable then an old BT router or similar will do so long as it's got power and network sockets. Once everything is connected, reboot the router if necessary, reboot the PC and HDR

If you're using a router you may find that your PC ip address changes to something like 192.168.1.?
    If this is the case then your HDR will also be assigned an ip address via DHCP automatically which you'll need to check as per Dino's instructions above.

If you've kept the original 169.254.60.57 on your PC then you probably need to manually assign an ip address to the HDR using the menu,system,network option on the HDR, add something like 169.254.60.59, netmask 255.255.255.0, Gateway/DNS 169.254.60.1

If this doesn't work or isn't making much sense, please get back to us with a description of the equipment you've got and what it is you're trying to achieve. I'm assuming you don't have internet and you either want to watch programmes from the HDR on your PC or you simply want to use the PC to administer the HDR and the custom firmware is excellent for this.

| Mon 24 Jun 2013 20:05:33 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

The IP address shown is for the Humax HDR not the PC. Runnig through a 100mp switch.

I have tried reinstalling the package as suggested and this has revealed a problem:

Install started
    Collected errors:
    * pkg_init_from_file: Malformed package file /opt/tmp/samba_2.2.12-1_mips.opk.
    Install done

The remaining packages are not installed due to unfullfilled requirements, IE samba.

And on some incorrect architecture. Is this because another file is missing?

You are correct I want to watch programmes from the HDR on PC and use the PC to administer the HDR.

I will dig around and see if I can find an alternate version of the samba pack, and try reinstalling the apps.

Thanks again, hope we can get this working, I can't wait till I can put the channels in the order I want.
    Bill

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 14:00:16 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Bill, I notice that both the gateway and DNS are not set.
    Is there a fully configured DHCP server on that network?

| Wed 26 Jun 2013 15:53:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.