My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

hdr - pc connect without internet

(30 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

HI Gents.

Tried all the advice and had my network Wiz round to help.

Was unable to ping the HDR on any setup.

Had a look round various forums, there seems to be an opinion that the early HDR's didn't have all the hardware actually on board.

If this is the case it would probably apply to mine, as I was a very early user.

Any way, It looks Like I will have to give up on this, Maybe wait till I need an upgraded box.

Thanx for your help regardless
    Billy

EOL

| Fri 19 Jul 2013 12:02:56 #21 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It might be worth taking it somewhere with a full internet connection and DHCP server - to see if you get the network connection to DHCP if it gets an IP. Use their network cable rather than yours to make sure.

| Fri 19 Jul 2013 12:45:19 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi Bill,

one of your first posts shows clearly from the screenshot that you were pinging your own laptop.
    Did you ever get around to setting up the 192.x.x.x network and running the:

ipconfig /all
    ping 192.168.1.3
    arp -a

commands from the laptop?

The newer boxes don't have the really useful custom firmware, they are a locked black box, the custom firmware does turn the older boxes into a fantastic product.

| Fri 19 Jul 2013 18:47:38 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

Hi All,

Finally success, A new router,and adding incoming connections in the network settings. Also ensure that the network addresss is teh same down to the last 3 digits, which should be different, for me the last digit only is changed, to suit the computers, network no.
    I now have access to the humax from the computer, Hurrah, using the cut down browser. I can see some of the other progs, in the etc folder, and can see the files to transfer in/out.
    I still can't install the full interface. I copied the web page for the download to stick, and ran from an outside source. (3 months on BT still haven't connected me) but the file is not found on the server.
    I think this is connected to the file load errors i listed previously, in the original setup on the humax.
    Any advice on the location of a working base package file would be helpful to upload onto the box.
    Any guidance on where to find data on the next step in managing the files, setup, of prog lists, and loading files onto the box for viewing would be greatly appreciated.
    REgards

BH

| Tue 17 Sep 2013 11:36:16 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

A bit confused by your last post, though it sounds like progress, I can't work out what stage you are at.

Assuming you've re-flashed with 4.1.2, and are still without Internet access to the HDR, it sounds like you need to go back to the link provided in post #5 and manually download the opk packages you require using a working Internet machine.

Transfer them to a working USB stick, then follow the USB package install instructions. I'm not sure if the install instructions are part of the basic CFW re-flash so I'll paste them below. You need to look at the USB section at the end. This method is untried by me as I have the HDR on the Internet, but given the solid production values of the custom firmware I can't see there being a problem. Good luck.

Quote from CFW documentation.

Software Package Installation

Install from Web Interface

This is the simplest way to manage your custom applications on the Foxsat-HDR. Once you have installed the full web interface it's simply the matter of a few mouse clicks to install/upgrade or uninstall your custom applications directly from your favourite web browser.

The firmware comes with Mongoose 3.0 web server pre-installed. In order to access this server you must first determine the IP address of your Foxsat-HDR from the Foxsat-HDR's Menu/System/Network screen. (It will look something like 192.168.0.8). Enter this IP address into the address bar of your browser and you should be greeted by the Foxsat-HDR's initial web page.

From there you have the option to install the full web interface from which you can complete your application software installs. A reboot of the Foxsat-HDR will be required to initialise the full web interface once it has installed.

IMPORTANT: Refresh your browser when connecting to the full web interface for the first time, and ensure the address is set to the Foxsat-HDR's IP address (without any page name appended)

Install from command line

As an alternative, you can install packages from the command line via a telnet session. To do this you must first install the telnet application included in the .rar archive using the USB install method outlined below. Once telnet is installed, ensure you are connected to the internet, then from the command line enter:
    'opkg update' - This will download the latest list of available packages from the repository.
    'opkg list' - This will list all available packages.
    'opkg install vsftpd' - This will install the 'Very-Secure-FTP-Daemon' package.
    'opkg remove vsftpd' - This will remove it again.

Install from USB

The USB port is hot pluggable, so you initiate an install while the Foxsat-HDR is powered up simply by plugging in a USB stick containing one or more .opk package files in the root directory. Once installed, the application will be available for use immediately. No reboot will be initiated, or is necessary. Just wait for the USB stick activity LED to stop (providing it has one). Otherwise just wait a few minutes before unplugging the stick. When the install has completed the *.opk file will have been renamed to *.opk.done and a log file named *.opk.install.log created, for each package on the USB stick.

| Tue 17 Sep 2013 17:13:34 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Just used the USB method to install a couple of packages I hadn't previously had (dropbear and servermon) to prove it to myself.

Works as expected.

| Tue 17 Sep 2013 19:24:04 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

To install the full web interface without a direct internet connection to your HDR you must use some other indirect means to download the nine required packages from the online repository and place these in the folder /opt/tmp.
    You can access the repository by pointing a browser at http://www.hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/
    Download packages by clicking on the [Package] link alongside the package name.
    Then telnet into the box and execute the following commands in the exact order given.

cd /opt/tmp
    opkg install busybox_1.18.4-1_mips.opk
    opkg install jim-tcl_0.7.1-1_mips.opk
    opkg install hmt_2.3_mips.opk
    opkg install sysclock_1.1_mips.opk
    opkg install service-manager_2.0_mips.opk
    opkg install epg_1.5_mips.opk
    opkg install webif_2.75_mips.opk --force-depends
    opkg install webif-docs_1.03_mips.opk
    opkg install channel-icons_1.07_mips.opk
    reboot

Ignore the dependency errors generated when installing webif_2.75_mips.opk as it will install anyway because of the --force-depends option.

You should then be able to access the full web interface.
    Don't forget to refresh your browser cache (Ctrl/F5).

| Wed 18 Sep 2013 20:01:46 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

Thanks gents, will try these instructions. The force note is interesting, that seems to cover teh issues I had with the earlier packages. will download fresh anyway.

To be clear, I can now access the box thru the computer, with the cut down browser. I am running 4.12. The change of router alone didn't do the job, but adding an incoming connection from the box in internet connections solved that.

| Fri 20 Sep 2013 14:39:43 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

Well Gents,

Success ####

Many thanks all round. Raydon was (of course correct)using the force command allowed the webif 2.75 pack to install.

This was indeed what had caused the problem all along.

I now have the full interface available.

I can see many of the packs previously loaded by the usb stick method were indeed loaded succesfully.

I have played with the file functions. all seem to work well.

My next challenge will be to try to change the tv listings to my prefered order, then maybe even to try to add the non std sat channel listings. I hope that this will be possible and not totaly beyond my abilities.

Again thanks for all your help. I will try to make some time over the next few weeks to write up the full procedure, for future reference, and add it to this post.

Dib dib dib BH

| Sat 28 Sep 2013 14:45:13 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

billy4

To set up a network conection with the foxsat HD without an internet connection:

First set up your windows network between your computers.
    Use the wizard and choose this computer does not connect to the internet option.
    (Frankly if you don't know how to do this, you will not be able to set up this link)
    Once all the computers are linked up, go into the TCP/IP Properties for each, & adjust the IP addresses for each:

Set the first 9 digits as common for all the computers connections 192.154.135.* or similiar

use the last 3 digits to identify your connections, replace * with 1 for the server, 2 for your next most used, 3 for your laptop etc.

Set the subnet mask to be common for all computers: 152.152.152.0 or similiar

If you intend to stream from the HD box ensure all the following protocols are installed:
    file & print sharing, reliable multicast protocol,network monitor driver, nwlink(netbios & ipx/spx), & TCP/IP (on some systems you may also need V6)

Once your network is up and running and you have stable connections throughout you can begin hooking up the Foxsat HD.

The first thing you need to do is setup an incoming connection on your server.
    Go to the new connection wizard:
    Set up an advanced connection:
    Accept incoming connection:
    com cable between 2 computers:
    Allow virtual private connection:
    Allow Admins, ASPNET, and yourself access rights:
    Click on the TCP properties and set the IP address to the next number:
    check allow callers access:
    Ensure all the available protocols are checked and install.

http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz.

Now download raydon's Media and File Server Bundle for the Humax FoxsatHDR - Release v4.0.9 (or latest) and follow the instructions included to begin the install to the HDR. You will get a number of errors. As long as the firmware update is applied you can continue to add any updates.

'Humax Foxsat-HDR Software Details & Release Notes

Application version: HPRSFCI 1.00.21
    Loader version: U7.54
    Micom version: 7.36
    System id: 3768 0000
    Update Date: 27 Jul 2012

Release Notes

- Fix for 24 Olympic HD channels recording issue.

Download instructions:

1. Extact the ZIP file downloaded
    2. Check the file name is “FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf” (you will not need to rename the file or change the extension)
    3. Connect the USB memory stick to the PC and copy the file to a root folder of the USB.
    4. Place the product into standby mode (using the STANDBY button on the remote control or the STANDBY button on the front of the product)

Note: The update will not download correctly if you are currently recording

5. Pull out the USB memory stick and connect the USB to the front panel of FOXSAT-HDR.
    6. Press and hold the STANDBY button on the front of the product. The product will now start up and the download process should start, please keep the STANDBY button held in for 30 seconds and then release.
    7. When the download is completed the Download progress will display “Success Downloading!”
    8. To complete the download:
    a. Power off the product using the power switch at the rear.
    b. Remove the USB memory stick
    c. Power on the product using the power switch at the rear.
    d. Switch the product on using the Standby button on the remote or the Standby button
    on the front of the product.

Note: If the download does not start then there may be a compatibility issue with the USB memory stick you are using. We recommend using memory sticks of under 1Gb in size.
    Please do not power off the product or remove the USB memory stick while the update is in progress.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=65

Once this has been done clear your usb stick and add the telnet application.
    plug the usb into the front socket of the HDR and install the telnet app. check the logfile to ensure it is done.

Now go into your HDR settings and set the Ip address to suit the last number on the network.

Connect your HDr to the network then go to your server and open a telnet session to the HDR.

Ensure that a copy of the OPK(pakages is available on your server)

To install the full web interface without a direct internet connection to your HDR you must use some other indirect means to download the nine required packages from the online repository and place these in the folder /opt/tmp.
    You can access the repository by pointing a browser at http://www.hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/
    Download packages by clicking on the [Package] link alongside the package name.
    Then telnet into the box and execute the following commands in the exact order given.

cd /opt/tmp
    opkg install busybox_1.18.4-1_mips.opk
    opkg install jim-tcl_0.7.1-1_mips.opk
    opkg install hmt_2.3_mips.opk
    opkg install sysclock_1.1_mips.opk
    opkg install service-manager_2.0_mips.opk
    opkg install epg_1.5_mips.opk
    opkg install webif_2.75_mips.opk --force-depends
    opkg install webif-docs_1.03_mips.opk
    opkg install channel-icons_1.07_mips.opk
    reboot

Ignore the dependency errors generated when installing webif_2.75_mips.opk as it will install anyway because of the --force-depends option.

You should then be able to access the full web interface.
    Don't forget to refresh your browser cache (Ctrl/F5).

If you cannot load the web interface now, go back to the TCP/IP configuration and set the incoming connection set up earlier, as an alternate DNS server. This should allow teh connection to work.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for teh inputs
    Sorry it took so long to complete the overview.

BH

Attachments

1. overview.txt (5.5 KB, 26 downloads) 10 years old
    | Fri 27 Dec 2013 11:12:27 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.