My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

hdr turns on but not much else

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

superslab

My foxsat hdr 320gb is about 10 years old and apart from the buttons on the remote becoming unresponsive its been great.Just recently while watching recordings it would cut off after about 5 or 6 minutes and say something like no signal.The fault has progressed and now after it has booted the picture comes on with no sound then within 10 secs the picture also goes off.I have some tv/audio repair knowledge so had a quick look but apart from a few dodgy looking joints which i resoldered,nothing obvious.Anyone had this fault before and if so how can it be fixed? Going to do some more indepth testing but thought i would ask the experts first.

| Mon 24 Oct 2016 20:50:40 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi welcome to our forum. Try disconnecting the hard disk ? Does it now operate reliably as a non recording set top box. If so every chance it needs a replacement hard disk (not surprising after 10 yrs). The custom firmware add on available for the Foxsat has a hard disk check and repair utility. Usually the first area of the hard disk to wear out is the time shift buffer file (0.ts) area due to constant writing and rewriting. With the CF it's easy to force the box to move the time shift buffer file by simply renaming the existing file.

| Mon 24 Oct 2016 21:09:35 #2 |
  3. andyfras

andyfras

I suspect that some PSU capacitors have started to fail in a 10 year old PVR. Many capacitor types do not show any external signs of failure (bulging or leaking), so the only way to check them is with an ESR meter. If you don't have such a meter, it's probably easier to just replace them.

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 9:02:18 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andyfras - 50 minutes ago  » 
    I suspect that some PSU capacitors have started to fail in a 10 year old PVR. Many capacitor types do not show any external signs of failure (bulging or leaking), so the only way to check them is with an ESR meter. If you don't have such a meter, it's probably easier to just replace them.

It can't actually be 10 yrs old. I have one of the first dating from late 2008. Apart from a new 1TB hard drive dating from early 2009 it has no current issues. It's still used every day.

| Tue 25 Oct 2016 9:54:51 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.