My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

HDR2000T hard drive size limit

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, can anyone tell me if a 2Tb drive will work in a 2000T without any special formatting or partitioning? I've had a 2Tb Seagate video drive in my 2000T for a while now but it's never been more than 40% full. The data storage screen shows 2000gb storage but someone has suggested it could crash the system if used over 1Tb.

When I installed it I used a pc with Windows 10 to erase the whole disk, put a single partition on and format to NTFS, the Humax formatted it again on power up and it's been fine since.

PS Seen a lot of negagive comments about yhe 2000T but my experience is positive. I ran mine for ages on its standard 1Tb drive with no problems; I've run it for 18 months now with the 2Tb drive in it and again, without problems.

| Thu 4 Apr 2019 15:14:45 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 57 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, can anyone tell me if a 2Tb drive will work in a 2000T without any special formatting or partitioning?

A 2TB drive is the largest you can fit and I it should work fine. I fitted one to my partners HDR-2000T and I believe that she has it over 50% full without problems.

PS Seen a lot of negagive comments about yhe 2000T but my experience is positive. I ran mine for ages on its standard 1Tb drive with no problems

I am glad somebody else shares my view that the HDR-2000T is a reasonable box.

| Thu 4 Apr 2019 16:15:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Thanks for the reply. I'm recording BBC1 and BBC2 in HD for a period of time to fill up the hard disk and see if fhere are problems over 1 Tb. I'll post the results.

| Thu 4 Apr 2019 16:23:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for the reply. I'm recording BBC1 and BBC2 in HD for a period of time to fill up the hard disk and see if fhere are problems over 1 Tb. I'll post the results.

Please do. The similar HDR-FOX T2 will certainly support 2TB without issue (and can be persuaded to use more than 2TB with custom firmware but that is not an option for the HDR-2000T).

| Thu 4 Apr 2019 16:30:45 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Quick update, my HDR2000T is now showing 48% hard drive space remaining and still recording. I'm letting it fill up to prove the point. I wondered if the software has any limit on the number of programmes recorded to the disk.

It looks like the 2Tb disk is fine; I'm going back to 1Tb eventually because the 2Tb disk is required elsewhere; I'm using a 320gb usb disk as extra storage if needed (came from a 9300t which was upgraded to 500gb).

| Wed 10 Apr 2019 19:09:07 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Finished a long HD recording test in my HDR2000t to establish how compatible the 2Tb drive was - some said it wouldn't record beyond 1Tb or 1.5Tb.

The machine recorded HD tv channels until 9% disk capacity was remaining, at which point I stopped the test. It would seem 2Tb hard drives are completely compatible with the HDR200T and can be used to full capacity if needed. The media page takes a long time to process when the disk is almost full but at the 9% available capacity my unit was still recording and playback was no problem. Finding recorded programmes was another matter! For anyone considering a 2Tb drive installation, I can recommend Seagate pipeline video drives (as tested) and Western Digital Green drives - WD20EURX was installed without problems and I'm sure the WD20EURS drive would be fine.

One point - some units have drive cages with small fans attached and a lead which plugs into the mainboard. A 500gb unit I looked at didn't have a fan, just a flat drive mounting plate (black plastic). There was nowhere to plug a fan lead into either, the small white socket was not fitted to the mainboard. If you're upgrading a 500gb unit check this; I'm not sure how important the fan cooling is on bigger drives but it wouldn't be there for no reason, would it?

| Thu 18 Apr 2019 16:45:51 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 55 minutes ago  » 
    The machine recorded HD tv channels until 9% disk capacity was remaining, at which point I stopped the test. It would seem 2Tb hard drives are completely compatible with the HDR200T and can be used to full capacity if needed. The media page takes a long time to process when the disk is almost full but at the 9% available capacity my unit was still recording and playback was no problem. Finding recorded programmes was another matter! For anyone considering a 2Tb drive installation, I can recommend Seagate pipeline video drives (as tested) and Western Digital Green drives - WD20EURX was installed without problems and I'm sure the WD20EURS drive would be fine.

Thanks for confirming what I said initially.

One point - some units have drive cages with small fans attached and a lead which plugs into the mainboard. A 500gb unit I looked at didn't have a fan, just a flat drive mounting plate (black plastic). There was nowhere to plug a fan lead into either, the small white socket was not fitted to the mainboard.

Was it a 3.5" driver or a 2.5" drive? I have a suspicion that the units shipped with a 2.5" drive don't have a 12V supply so won't work with a 3.5" drive.

| Thu 18 Apr 2019 17:44:37 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

batteryman

special member

Hi, the 500gb unit I opened had a Seagate HD.2 drive, 3.5" form factor.

On another point, I tried to play files from my usb drive on this HDR2000T; they had been recorded on my other HDR2000T which came as new with a 1Tb drive and cage/fan as above. Some SD files play ok but the HD files in particular don't play, the screen shows no signal available. I presume this is an encription/decription problem - any comments?

| Thu 18 Apr 2019 19:02:19 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

batteryman - 2 hours ago  » 
    Some SD files play ok but the HD files in particular don't play, the screen shows no signal available. I presume this is an encription/decription problem - any comments?

Yes the HD recordings are encrypted and will only play on the box that made the recording. There is a way to remove the encryption from the HD recordings but the rules of the Forum do not allow it to be discussed.

| Thu 18 Apr 2019 21:07:58 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.