My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

HD/SD sound level difference

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TECHY22

Hi,
    Having recently purchased a Humax HDR-FOXT2 I am finding the sound level very much lower on HD recordings than on SD recordings.
    Is this a feature with the FOXT2 or is there an adjustment to compensate.
    My tv which is a Sony has an HD tuner and I have not noticed sound differences when watching HD/SD broadcasts on it.
    Any advise would be much appreciated.

Techy22.

| Fri 4 May 2012 18:00:52 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If you are using a TV for the sound turn off the Dolby Digital option in the HDR TV setup menu.

| Fri 4 May 2012 18:11:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

TECHY22 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Having recently purchased a Humax HDR-FOXT2 I am finding the sound level very much lower on HD recordings than on SD recordings.
    Is this a feature with the FOXT2 or is there an adjustment to compensate.

What software version is the HDR using (as there have been several changes in this area of the code)?

| Fri 4 May 2012 20:11:00 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I also have much lower sound on HD than SD across all software versions including the very latest, I'm connecting via spdif.

According to my pioneer receiver SD comes through as mono, when I change the humax menu to stereo rather than multichannel the HD channels are also shown as mono and there is no sound level difference between HD and SD. Proper 5.1 on HD seems to come through at the right volume level compared to SD channels. I find myself constantly increasing/decreasing volume when changing between SD and HD channels.
    One reason it may be quieter on non 5.1 HD is that my pioneer shows a diaglogue normalisation of -4 or -5 when changing channel from SD to HD so is probably automatically lowering the volume as per Dolby specification.

So 5.1 HD comes through fine, SD comes through as mono and the majority of HD (i.e. non 5.1) comes through quieter than the same SD channel and is shown as stereo.

As if this wasn't complicated enough the broadcasters are also fiddling in the background. I've been recording Homeland recently and managed to record the repeat version as well both series llinked. I sat down to watch one from roughly 6 weeks ago recently and chose whichever one was shorter (5 mins) due to the adverts. I watched the opening credits which were fine 5.1 and then it changed and lost the 5.1 and went quieter before it started for real and stayed on stereo. I took a look at the other recording and the 5.1 was fine all the way through at the proper volume. There have been problems in the past with broadcasters changing from 5.1 for adverts and forgetting to put 5.1 back on again after the break.

I'm intrigued though as to what code changes have been made and whether I can do anything to sort the sound out. I can't see a dolby digital option in my hdr menu, just a stereo / multi-channel option under audio. I've assumed up until now that it's been the broadcasters not getting it right. Any ideas?

| Sun 6 May 2012 18:51:11 #4 |
  5. gomezz

gomezz

special member

damian - 1 hour ago  » According to my pioneer receiver SD comes through as mono

This is the first and foremost puzzle I think you need to resolve as it should be coming through as DD2.0 and treated by your amp as Dolby Pro-Logic pseudo-surround or stereo or whatever other mode your amp offers (for example my Denon has a 5.1 sterero mode useful for older music programmes with a stereo soundstage).

Does the Fox T2 offer audio options such as Left Only, Right Only etc which you can use to test what your amp is actually producing at the speakers?

| Sun 6 May 2012 19:58:32 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

gomezz - 3 hours ago  » 

damian - 1 hour ago  » According to my pioneer receiver SD comes through as mono

This is the first and foremost puzzle I think you need to resolve as it should be coming through as DD2.0

You're right Gomezz,
    I was wrong with SD being mono, it just sounds like it, with headphones on I can tell there's some separation. My pioneer doesn't indicate L&R and seeing that I can't tell it's stereo without headphones on I assumed it was mono as it's louder.

HD is different, DD5.1 is fine, the problem is DD2.0 where I do get indicators for L&R as well as the DD symbol. Most of HD is DD2.0 and this is where I see the different volume levels compared to SD and DD5.1
    I also get the dialogue normalisation of -4 or -5 on DD2.0 which is presumably where my pioneer automatically lowers the volume.

In practice then I'll be watching a film in DD5.1, an advert break will drop it to DD2.0 (quieter) and then back to the film after with DD5.1
    Most other times it'll be DD2.0, then there'll be an advert break or advert for the channel itself in DD5.1 (louder) and then back to DD2.0
    I notice this mainly on bbcHD and 4HD with their clips where they advertise themselves in DD5.1 and at times it's really loud compared to the previous DD2.0

To recap,
    SD is digital stereo with no trickery it may be mono or stereo depending on the age of the programme.
    HD is mainly DD2.0 which carries the diaglogue normalisation information and in my case tells my pioneer to drop the volume by -4 or -5 and then there's DD5.1 which is fine and close to the SD sound level.

I'll leave my hdr in multi-channel mode as I love DD5.1
    For people who just use their TV or 2 channel stereo system for sound and have volume level problems then as Graham mentioned above set the hdr to stereo mode in the audio section of the preferences menu

| Sun 6 May 2012 23:59:17 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

My Denon amp is set to auto and Prologic 11 digital sound processing is enabled on the hdmi input that the FoX T2 is connected to. There are a number of sub modes - I usually use PLII Cinema Mode.

SD channels have Mpeg1 Layer 2 Stereo audio (MP2) which the box outputs as lpcm stereo. The amplifier says Prog Logic 11 audio and recovers the embedded matrix surround information for the surround speakers.

Freeview HD channels have HE-aac audio either in stereo (2.0) or 5.1 surround. Depending on the setting the box either outputs this as Dolby Digital (ac3) in stereo or 5.1 as transmitted or in dowmmixed lpcm stereo.

The Denon identifies DD2.0 as Pro Logic ii but the DD icon is also lit indicating the DD decoder is being used. As for SD the Prologic dsp processor recovers the surround channels.

DD5.1 is identified as 5.1 and of course the DD icon is lit.

There is no audio level difference between DD 2.0 and 5.1 on my system. I also get the same sound level from lpcm on channel 1 as DD on 50 but that's because the lpcm output is controlled by the volume control on the FOX so it's set to a level that produces the same levels.

Incidentally the BBC-HD daily preview loop is all in 5.1 and the HD testcard includes a 5.1 channel audio level and location test.

The sitution is slightly different on my Foxsat-hdr which is connected by S/Pdif to the same amp. The s/pdif output isn't volume controlled by the box volume control as a result DD audio from the HD channels is quieter than lpcm from the SD ones.

| Mon 7 May 2012 10:36:50 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Thanks for your reply Graham,

and I'm glad you've confirmed no audio level difference between DD2.0 and DD5.1 on your Denon

my pioneer normally shows neo:6 as well as DD on DD2.0 and it makes no difference if I select prologic or prologic movie. I've been through all settings and DD2.0 is always quieter unless I select stereo/lpcm of course. On DD5.1 the neo:6 disappears just leaving DD

I can't imagine there being a difference between hdmi and spdif so I'm left with dialogue normalisation causing DD2.0 to be quieter with my pioneer.
    I've got used to it, however it's always interesting to find out why it's happening

| Tue 8 May 2012 0:01:57 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.