My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hello from a Humax n00b

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

urchino

Hello!

New on the forum. I've just replaced my Sky+ with a 1010s, and liking it so far on the whole.

It seems ok so far but I have to say that I'm already missing some Sky+ functions (even though I think the Sky interface is tired and unintuitive in many places, and I surely don't miss the subscription costs!):

Features that should be added, IMO (if anyone from Humax is reading...:)

1. Play button to resume playback of last recording from where you left off (seems very obviously useful and should surely be added!). I note other forum users have said this also.

2. Shortcuts to 'Humax' media section on the remote or perhaps even allowing the user to assign shortcuts to the 4 coloured buttons that appear to do nothing most of the time. This would mitigate some of the lengthy navigation steps that I have to go through a lot (e.g. navigating to films on DLNA media server on my network takes ages, often just to go back to the movie that was the last one played (see point above!)

A few features that are advertised that don't work - I couldn't copy files off a USB stick onto the box - I got a spinner that said 'copying' and it stayed there for several hours. Nothing happened.

DLNA playback seems pretty picky about sound formats - it's probably the least capable media renderer that I've encountered.

The website at myhumax.net, which is very poor, claims that there are a load of apps that should be compatible with the 1010s and available for the UK but there's no apparent way to install any of them. Eh? Not really an app store is it. No way to erase the crud default apps off the box either. Daily Star?! This whole section seems like a poorly conceived afterthought.

Feel free to shoot me down I'm looking forwards to future software updates that might make this an even better product.

Nick

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 17:03:02 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Re:

2. The HDR-1000S had had it's remote replaced with the one used for the HB-1000S which does indeed have a Home button. I guess Humax do not have that remote in white (yet?)

The copy function does work - fooled me the first time - don't expect it to appear in recordings - from memory - Home - Humax - Video.

DLNA Audit formats - it should understand LPCM, MPEG-1 L3, (MP3), and MPEG-4 AAC LC.

Think the Web site is still under development. Not visited MyHumax.net before (or seen it promoted) the reload as https without specifying the www is not good as the certificate is issued for http://www.myhumax.net.

One general comment, with the exception of the Home - Humax structure the design is freesat's - It looks nice but it could have benefited with usability lab testing.

Ooops, forgot to Welcome you to the forum.

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 18:14:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

I noticed in John Lewis today how grim the freetime display is on the new Panasonics. They really need to lose the green.

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 18:25:39 #3 |
  4. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

Re: 1
    Unless I'm missing something, isn't that what the option 'Resume' does when selecting a program from the recordings menu?
    Granted the 'Resume' option doesn't appear if you were halfway through watching something via chase play while it's still recording so it would be good if that could be changed.

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 18:59:53 #4 |
  5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-

special member

REPASSAC - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Re:
    2. The HDR-1000S had had it's remote replaced with the one used for the HB-1000S which does indeed have a Home button. I guess Humax do not have that remote in white (yet?)

The original remote also has a Home button. They dropped the Settings button on the new remote though.

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 19:17:54 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

urchino

REPASSAC - 3 hours ago  » 
    Re:
    The copy function does work - fooled me the first time - don't expect it to appear in recordings - from memory - Home - Humax - Video.
    DLNA Audit formats - it should understand LPCM, MPEG-1 L3, (MP3), and MPEG-4 AAC LC.
    Think the Web site is still under development. Not visited MyHumax.net before (or seen it promoted) the reload as https without specifying the www is not good as the certificate is issued for http://www.myhumax.net.
    One general comment, with the exception of the Home - Humax structure the design is freesat's - It looks nice but it could have benefited with usability lab testing.
    Ooops, forgot to Welcome you to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome - my fault for not just saying 'hello' and leaving it at that

There is a 'Home' button on the white remote, and it gives me access to my videos and the DLNA server under the Humax page but my point is that it takes 5 remote clicks to get into, rather than having a single button that takes me straight in (or even being able to choose that I want that to happen when I press the blue button, for example). Getting into the networked content is 7 remote clicks to get to the root of the DLNA media tree. In web or app design this would be an unacceptable 'click-distance'.

Similarly with the resume playback - on Sky+ when you've just turned the box out of standby you can press the play button to go immediately to the last recorded item you were watching. On the Humax you have to find the item and then pick the resume option - you could be clicking the remote for a minute or more before you get there.

These points are easily addressable in a software update so fingers crossed someone gathers feedback from their users occasionally!

| Thu 7 Aug 2014 22:12:37 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

As you say there a quite some key presses to get to the DLNA client.

I doubt you will ever see a short cut for this as it is not part of freetime (controlled by freesat) functioanility and part of the Humax extended functions. This means when others make freesat_ freetime units this three will if it exists be that manufacturers extras.

One question - does the Sky unit remember the last part played recording after full standby?

| Fri 8 Aug 2014 6:31:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

urchino

REPASSAC - 3 days ago  » 
    As you say there a quite some key presses to get to the DLNA client.
    I doubt you will ever see a short cut for this as it is not part of freetime (controlled by freesat) functioanility and part of the Humax extended functions. This means when others make freesat_ freetime units this three will if it exists be that manufacturers extras.
    One question - does the Sky unit remember the last part played recording after full standby?

Yes, it does. It's a simple but useful function (particularly when you're putting on Madagascar for the millionth time for an impatient 3 year old!)

| Mon 11 Aug 2014 15:12:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

JamesB - 3 days ago  » 
    I noticed in John Lewis today how grim the freetime display is on the new Panasonics. They really need to lose the green.

I've also seen a review saying it is seriously underpowered on the Panny TV and consequently very slow.

| Mon 11 Aug 2014 16:12:21 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

urchino - 3 days ago  » 
    These points are easily addressable in a software update so fingers crossed someone gathers feedback from their users occasionally!

Not to date they haven't, so let's hope.

| Mon 11 Aug 2014 16:14:09 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.