My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Help! Accidently deleted almost all recordings!

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mbh2020

Hi, I don't know how I did it but when I was deleting a recording I somehow inverted the selection and it deleted EVERYTHING apart from the recording I wanted!

After a short period of disbelief and swearing I yanked the power out. The HDD is currently plugged into my PC. It seems I've lost a dozen recordings but still got all the main ones I want to keep (some going back years). Slow Humax deletion helped me here.

I'm currently backing it up but I have a couple of questions.

When I put the HDD back in again and power up will the box carry on the deletion process? If so how can I stop it?

The last time I looked the box reckons there is only one recording. How can I get it to re-discover the recordings?

Also I can't play the recordings on my PC using Media Player and VLC. I presume the files are encrypted?

| Sun 10 May 2020 22:09:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

mbh2020 - 2 hours ago  » 
    When I put the HDD back in again and power up will the box carry on the deletion process? If so how can I stop it?

I can't be sure as this is an unusual situation but my best guess is that it won't delete anything else. Please let us know what does happen.

The last time I looked the box reckons there is only one recording. How can I get it to re-discover the recordings?

I think there is a good chance that they will reappear when you boot the box up.

Also I can't play the recordings on my PC using Media Player and VLC. I presume the files are encrypted?

Correct both SD and HD recordings are encrypted.

| Mon 11 May 2020 0:36:46 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mbh2020

Hi, sorry for the delay. Thought I would get an email if there was a new post.

I powered it up a few days ago. Thankfully it didn't continue the deletion process and it did rediscover the existing recordings.

Folders have been deleted in alphabetical order but only just past the folder starting with the letter C. So I have lost my Christmas specials folder but that isn't too bad as I've seen those loads of time before.

I think the lessons here is to watch that screen menu like a hawk when deleting something, especially that yellow button, especially whilst drinking.

| Sat 16 May 2020 20:56:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mbh2020

Out of curiosity, before plugging the aerial back in and TSR'ing all over the place, I took the HDD out again to try and see if I can undelete any files. I used that free testdisk program. It strangely found loads of stuff I deleted over a year ago but nothing recent. Of what I could recover there was either missing sidecar files or files that was 0 blocks big. I could only recover three old recordings. I'm quiting whilst I'm ahead before testdisk nukes it or something. Happy with what I've got!

| Sat 16 May 2020 21:06:40 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

The real lesson should be don't treat modern PVRs as archive devices. The material only survives as long as the HDD or box does.

| Thu 21 May 2020 16:31:16 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.