My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Help appreciated for new (soon to be) owner

(7 posts)
  1. Reisser

Reisser

At present I have the 9300 which I absolutely love but I'd really like to watch the available channels in HD so am going to be getting the HDR Fox T2 within the next couple of weeks.

Just a few things I'd really appreciate advice on please?

(1) I take it that SD channels will also be used using HDmi so will I need to use a scart lead?

(2) Should I set it to 1080i or 780p? I have an HD ready television. I did read that if the telly's panel is 1920 x 1080 to set it to 1080i and, if below, to 720p. Mind you I suppose it might be just a case of trying the different settings to see which is best?

(3) I have seen a lot of debate as to whether it is worth paying a lot for an HDmi cable and wondered how many of you use the cable which comes with the PVR and are happy with it?

I am hoping that it will be as easy to set up and use as the 9300 but any advice for a new owner would be ever so much appreciated.

Thanks!

| Fri 19 Aug 2011 23:25:34 #1 |
  2. Wallace

Wallace

special member

Hi,
    I have my HDR connected to the TV via only the HDMI cable. This is only personal choice as I also have a Topfield 5810 that will use it's SCART to auto switch the TV over to the Topfield. This works best for me as it is easier for my other half, less button presses.
    You can have both SCART and HDMI lead connected, but you will prob find that the SCART will auto switch you TV too, but only switch it to SCART (Analogue). I have to manually press the AV input button on the TV to select the HDMI source. So to answer your first question, you don't really need the SCART lead at all.

Just use the HDMI cable that comes with the HDR. No need to spend anything.

| Sat 20 Aug 2011 0:08:26 #2 |
  3. Reisser

Reisser

Thanks Wallace.

What have you set the PVR to, 1080i or 720P?

| Sat 20 Aug 2011 12:05:58 #3 |
  4. Wallace

Wallace

special member

I use 1080i.

| Sat 20 Aug 2011 19:33:56 #4 |
  5. Reisser

Reisser

Thanks again.

I've ordered it and am sooooooo looking forward to getting it. Just in time for Dr Who!

| Sat 20 Aug 2011 23:20:39 #5 |
  6. Wallace

Wallace

special member

I am sure you will not be disappointed.

As I said, I also have a Topfield 5810 (actually two of them). While it is a great unit, it is very unreliable out-of-the-box. Thanks to members of Toppy forum, I now consider it to be one of the best. However, as a purchaser I should not have to go to those lengths.
    I appreciate that it is impossible to please everyone all the time. However, you do expect it to do the basic things like timer record OK.

You can imagine my relief when I started to use the Humax and it actually worked out of the box!!

The general feel of the box is excellent. Menus are clear and concise. The HD picture quality is one of the best. It has yet to miss a recording (hopefully is won't - but I have just tempted fate).

If you want to tweak it somewhat, you can now load custom firmware. Take a look over at Hummy.tv (I hope the mods here don't mind me 'plugging' anther site, if so please delete).
    I will say that the 500GB hard disk can get full quite quickly when recording HD content. I have (some would say foolishly) invalidated the warranty and fitted a 1TB hard disk. I have also removed the orange plastic shield from the front of the VFD display. I can now see the display and it matches my other AV equipment.

Have fun!

| Sun 21 Aug 2011 9:29:14 #6 |
  7. Reisser

Reisser

Thanks again Wallace.

I will be getting it on Wednesday so looking forward to getting it up and running.

I am sure the 500gb should be sufficient for me as I always have at least 70% space left on the hd of my 9300.

Hope so anyway!

| Mon 22 Aug 2011 22:32:12 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.