My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

HELP URGENT!! Have I fried my Humax FoxSat HDR

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lehobbit

Hello all. I am afraid I have committed a cardinal sin and I think this may have damaged our Foxsat HDR. We recently rented a house in France and connected up our Foxsat to the existing satellite dish at the property. No problems until the last few weeks when the signal started to break up, especially in heavy rain of which we have had copious amounts. I checked diagnostics and could see strength at 80% but quality fluctuating between 60% and 50%. Today I went to check the dish (which is ground mounted) and the connections. Anyway the weather was awful and in my impatience/frustration I disconnected the LNB cables at the dish (x 2) without turning the Humax off. Coincidentally I appear to have lost signal completely at the Humax? I checked the F plugs at the dish end and even redid them, but to no avail. I just cannot get a signal at all now? Have I fried the Humax? Cannot understand how I have lost the signal completely from having 50-60% I was hoping to improve the signal quality, not lose it completely? I did a factory reset on the Humax, but still no signal whatsoever? Also the dish itself does not look too clever and is a bit out of shape. Also the arm seems very slightly bent? Any advice?

| Sun 3 Jun 2018 19:58:04 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You may have fried the lnb. The DC output of the Foxsat-HDR is current limited so you would be very unlucky to have damaged it.

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 8:14:13 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lehobbit

Hi Graham. Thank you for your reply. I think the LNB is fine as I managed to get a signal today. However, I just cannot understand hy the signal quality is so low? I am ony getting between 40% and 50% On the home transponder which is 11428 I believe? Any thoughts

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 13:23:33 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Lehobbit - 38 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham. Thank you for your reply. I think the LNB is fine as I managed to get a signal today. However, I just cannot understand hy the signal quality is so low? I am ony getting between 40% and 50% On the home transponder which is 11428 I believe? Any thoughts

Depends where you are in France and how large your dish is. The home transponder is now on a UK SPOT beam transponder.

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 14:03:48 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Lehobbit - 1 hour ago  » 

Betting the BBC HD channels give poorer signals due to the FEC.

Please post dish size and postcode. In 32460 with a 100 cm dish I am getting about 85% strength and quality with a perfectly aligned dish (I have a professional meter).

With heavy rain all the UK beams drop out here.

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 15:06:17 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lehobbit

Hello there. Thanks for the advice guys. The dish is 80cm (Optex) and we are in North Correze 19370. After much faffing about this afternoon I have mangaed to get the signal quality up to 70% and strength at 85%. When we lived in Charente (16) we had a perfect signal. We have had horrendous thunder storms and heavy rain here in Correze for the last few weeks.

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 15:29:37 #6 |
  7. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The further east you go the problem increases. A larger dish would solve. In your location I would have thought an 80 might suffice, if perfectly aligned. In the climatic conditions you describe even in UK areas some would have problems. SAT signals are blocked by rain.

Quality is what you want to aim for whatever the strength.

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 17:07:27 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Lehobbit

Well after getting a 70% quality signal earlier today after adjusting the dish we had heavy rain this evening and I completely lost signal? Even radio channels cut out? Any ideas? The dish is ground mounted and only about 12" off the ground, on a grass lawn. There is a large Chestnut tree but we have trimmed off branches and it is not in line of sight for the dish? The dish is not in the best condition and has a couple of dents in it? Any thoughts? It's difficult as we are renting the house from people we know, but everytime it rains we lose signal? It has been reaining a lot recently!!

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 17:36:27 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Lehobbit - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well after getting a 70% quality signal earlier today after adjusting the dish we had heavy rain this evening and I completely lost signal? Even radio channels cut out? Any ideas? The dish is ground mounted and only about 12" off the ground, on a grass lawn. There is a large Chestnut tree but we have trimmed off branches and it is not in line of sight for the dish? The dish is not in the best condition and has a couple of dents in it? Any thoughts? It's difficult as we are renting the house from people we know, but everytime it rains we lose signal? It has been reaining a lot recently!!

The dents wont be helping as some of the signal won't be focussed on the feed horn. Other than a new and larger dish there's not much you can do. You should be able to watch the channels that are still FTA and on Pan Europe transponders (Use non freesat if they aren't on the Freesat epg).

Look for transponders labelled Europe

https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear

If you have broadband then a vpn may allow you to watch internet streamed services like iplayer.

Google NordVPN.

| Mon 4 Jun 2018 19:00:14 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

A larger dish would increase heavy rain tolerance but you may also need stronger supports. For the tree check:
    http://www.dishpointer.com/

With very heavy rain, I tend to catch-up on the news (Sky news in on the European beam)

| Tue 5 Jun 2018 5:25:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.